Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I would love for my catch phrase to be about Leafs success but unfortunately we have 6 years of playoff first round failure for many and varied reasons so maybe just maybe I’m right
You're right that we've lost, but everybody knows that we've lost. That doesn't change the fact that we're a top tier team. That's not an analysis of what happened or a solution to changing it. It's just repeating a factoid that literally every single person in this forum already knows.
I just hope that the team isn't like a pretty new house. Nice on the outside right now but if you look carefully you can see some cracks in the foundation (depth, lack of physicality, coaching) because the builder (Dubas) didn't have much experience so it could end up crashing down if it is exposed to a serious storm (the playoffs).
The better analogy would be a builder took on a house that looked pretty on the outside but was really jut a shack with horrible cracks in the foundation (inflated point totals from unsustainable things, expiring contracts, depleted prospect pool, cap anchors, strained management-player relationships with the team's best players, coaching, etc.). He fixed up all of the cracks and issues with the house despite all of his funding being unexpectedly taken away, and built one of the best houses in the city, but the house happened to be in an area that got consecutively hit by a massive tornado, a category 5 hurricane, and a magnitude 10 earthquake, and even though the builder did a great job and built a house that withstood all of that and kept standing, the owner - not caring what happened or why - is impatient and just keeps demanding the house be finished already and blaming the builder.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The optimist sees the glass as half full.
The pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
The scientist sees the glass as half full on liquid and half full of air.
I'm a pragmatist so I say either way, more wine please.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The optimist sees the glass as half full.
The pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
The scientist sees the glass as half full on liquid and half full of air.
While the realist in me sees a loss to a good team in Boston as one thing, then losing to a bad team in Montreal as another, when setting playoff expectations.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
While the realist in me sees a loss to a good team in Boston as one thing, then losing to a bad team in Montreal as another, when setting playoff expectations.
I think ownership's expectations of the playoffs is that the stands are never half full or half empty.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wine during a hockey game? Nah. Beer or whiskey (there are a couple of really good Welsh ones out now).
Agreed about wine/hockey. I've never tried Welsh whiskey, available at lcbo? I love single malts and I've become a lover of bourbon as well in recent years.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Agreed about wine/hockey. I've never tried Welsh whiskey, available at lcbo? I love single malts and I've become a lover of bourbon as well in recent years.
Penderyn makes three, at least one a single malt. One of my son's gave me a bottle of a new one, Aber Falls, also single malt. All limited availability at LCBO.

A bit lighter than a lot of Scotches, and not peaty.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Penderyn makes three, at least one a single malt. One of my son's gave me a bottle of a new one, Aber Falls, also single malt. All limited availability at LCBO.

A bit lighter than a lot of Scotches, and not peaty.
Thanks for the info. Probably not my thing then, I love the Islay single malts like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker etc.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
You're right that we've lost, but everybody knows that we've lost. That doesn't change the fact that we're a top tier team. That's not an analysis of what happened or a solution to changing it. It's just repeating a factoid that literally every single person in this forum already knows.

The better analogy would be a builder took on a house that looked pretty on the outside but was really jut a shack with horrible cracks in the foundation (inflated point totals from unsustainable things, expiring contracts, depleted prospect pool, cap anchors, strained management-player relationships with the team's best players, coaching, etc.). He fixed up all of the cracks and issues with the house despite all of his funding being unexpectedly taken away, and built one of the best houses in the city, but the house happened to be in an area that got consecutively hit by a massive tornado, a category 5 hurricane, and a magnitude 10 earthquake, and even though the builder did a great job and built a house that withstood all of that and kept standing, the owner - not caring what happened or why - is impatient and just keeps demanding the house be finished already and blaming the builder.
One or 2 first round losses I get, but 6 in a row against all level of competition and by different excuses is not an indication of a top team. It is an indication of a team with enough talent to make it to the playoffs but not enough to go any further..

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Interest is low for this team because nobody wants to watch intermission shows that lecture the audience on non-issues. I stopped watching Sportsnet altogether because of this.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Th
Thanks for the info. Probably not my thing then, I love the Islay single malts like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker etc.
So do I, but I also like variety.

At the moment I have Aber Falls, Laphroaig, Bushmills Black, Proper 12, and Wiser's Deluxe, and Karen has Tullamore DEW. I also have a bottle of 25 year old Highland Park that I've been saving for over 30 years (do the math) that I hope to open soon.

Sláinte

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

that was beautiful.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
One or 2 first round losses I get, but 6 in a row against all level of competition and by different excuses is not an indication of a top team. It is an indication of a team with enough talent to make it to the playoffs but not enough to go any further..
We haven't been a top tier team for 6 years, and most of those losses were to other top tier teams anyway. Sometimes top tier teams lose in the playoffs. In this division, it's essentially a guarantee in the first round. A team with enough talent to make the playoffs but not go further is a bubble team, not us. We have the potential to win it all.

And no matter how much you may want to base team evaluations entirely on the outcome of 1 goal, outplaying, outscoring, and losing by the tiniest margin to a B2B cup winner and last year's 110+ point cup finalist doesn't change the fact that we are a top tier team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Th

So do I, but I also like variety.

At the moment I have Aber Falls, Laphroaig, Bushmills Black, Proper 12, and Wiser's Deluxe, and Karen has Tullamore DEW. I also have a bottle of 25 year old Highland Park that I've been saving for over 30 years (do the math) that I hope to open soon.

Sláinte
Ya variety is good. For the non peaty, my favorite is Auchentoshan 3 wood, amazing stuff!

Right now besides the Auchentoshan I have Caol Ila, Laphroaig 10 Sherry Oak Finish, Lagavulin 8 and Talisker for Scotch, Bourbons are Weller Antique, Eagle Rare, Blantons, Knob Creek 9 year Barrel Proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Yes, very much focused on Bourbon lately. :)

I tried the Highland Park 25 once, bought a 3rd of a litre by accident (long, weird story), it's amazing of course but I think it goes for about a grand a bottle now so I guess I'll never try that again (unless duty free).

Cheers! GLG!!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ya variety is good. For the non peaty, my favorite is Auchentoshan 3 wood, amazing stuff!

Right now besides the Auchentoshan I have Caol Ila, Laphroaig 10 Sherry Oak Finish, Lagavulin 8 and Talisker for Scotch, Bourbons are Weller Antique, Eagle Rare, Blantons, Knob Creek 9 year Barrel Proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Yes, very much focused on Bourbon lately. :)

I tried the Highland Park 25 once, bought a 3rd of a litre by accident (long, weird story), it's amazing of course but I think it goes for about a grand a bottle now so I guess I'll never try that again (unless duty free).

Cheers! GLG!!
My Highland Park 25 was oaked in 1967, and I'll open it the next time we win the Cup.

I'm only 70 - lots of time. At worst I'll will it to my sons with that condition. They appreciate good whiskey too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My Highland Park 25 was oaked in 1967, and I'll open it the next time we win the Cup.

I'm only 70 - lots of time. At worst I'll will it to my sons with that condition. They appreciate good whiskey too.
Something to look forward to. Like. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad