Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 | Corsi's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
You know what really sucks?

Every team in our division won their game last night except us.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Concerned about this team's lack of work ethic. It's just not there compared to how hard the top teams in the league work.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You know what really sucks?

Every team in our division won their game last night except us.

Irrelevent.

It'll take x amount of points after 82 games to make the Playoffs. The order they are obtained is meaningless.

EDDIE20*

Ottawa can disagree all they want, nobody cares about them. Plus...it doesn't matter who is in net for the Leafs, they always beat Ottawa. Irrelevant.

Well done.:handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Sure last night they lost on a fluky goal and they haven't played a real 60 min hockey game in a while but I am not worried about this team for the first time since Sundin's playoff days back in the early 2000's

There is something about this team that is resilient where the old Leafs after a goal like last night would deflate and give up 5 more and then go on a 10 game losing streak. This team always bounces back after a tough loss. If we played this poorly under Wilson their record would be reversed.

The mind set of group in that dressing room has really changed and they are a gritty bunch that doesn't take a bad bounce and make excuses they charge on and move ahead.

It is nice to see with all the injuries that they are 6-2 and the young kids in the system have come up and actually contributed....first time a while we have depth on the farm to withstand injuries.

I can't wait to see their projected lineup in place with Clarkson, Kulemin both back in the lineup.

Penalty Kill Icing*

It's relevant when battling wildcard spots, no?

Logically, he is correct. His point is that in grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter on which given night does a team accumulate points. Only final standings matter.

However, logic and being sports fan don't exactly go hand-in-hand to me.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's relevant when battling wildcard spots, no?

Still the same thing...nobody knows where they truly stand till after the 82 game mark.

Right now, 6/8 top teams in our Conference are from our division. Only 5 of them make the playoffs.

Way too early to tell but I think Detroit, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto make it. Tampa does not.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Logically, he is correct. His point is that in grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter on which given night does a team accumulate points. Only final standings matter.

Yes, if you have more points you have more points it doesn't matter the order in which you accumulate those more points. Tied points do matter, but that's another story.

Same way that if you win 4 games in the SCF you win the Cup.

If a player has the most points at the end of the season they win the Art Ross.

Quite insightful eh?

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013

Wait, I'm still not getting the point.
Isn't playoff spot and points relative relative to each other only in a division?

Example
Our division doing well, Toronto makes playoffs in top 3 =
Boston - 106
Detroit - 104
Toronto - 98

Our division doing crappy, Toronto still makes playoffs in top 3 =
Boston - 96
Detroit - 95
Toronto - 90

Therefore, points is only relevant to compete within our own division? On any given night, you always want teams in your division to lose.

edit - I guess my point is, the race is always on

Penalty Kill Icing*

Yes, if you have more points you have more points it doesn't matter the order in which you accumulate those more points. Tied points do matter, but that's another story.

Same way that if you win 4 games in the SCF you win the Cup.

If a player has the most points at the end of the season they win the Art Ross.

Quite insightful eh?

To be honest, I am not a fan of ACC1224's posts at all. I was just trying to explain his thinking.

Actually, I was going to reply with "No ****, Sherlock" but then thought against it. :laugh:

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Bernier said he thought it was icing, which is why he let up on it non chalant like.

Carlyle argued to the ref that despite Dvorak having a step, Rielly would have got the puck first because he was on the outside and would likely have got to the puck first because it appeared as if it would go around the boards and out the other side

Beware of Hybrid icing

What.....it was Franson who was about 25 feet closer to the puck that got beat to the dot....Rielly was on the other side of the ice and not at all involved in the icing call.

If you watch the replay, Franson had his back to the puck because he was anticipating that the canes player (LW) would pick it up. However since it was iced, it was up to Reilly to beat the player to the face-off dot.

Reilly had a step on the canes player and he's one of the fastest skaters on the ice. However, he slowed up and the canes player beat him. The icing was waved off.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Wait, I'm still not getting the point.
Isn't playoff spot and points relative relative to each other only in a division?

Example
Our division doing well, Toronto makes playoffs in top 3 =
Boston - 106
Detroit - 104
Toronto - 98

Our division doing crappy, Toronto still makes playoffs in top 3 =
Boston - 96
Detroit - 95
Toronto - 90

Therefore, points is only relevant to compete within our own division? On any given night, you always want teams in your division to lose.

I agreed with the part ' The order they are obtained is meaningless.' but disagreed with when he said 'Irrelevant'.

Of course it is relevant. When divisional rivals do good and you don't (regardless of if it is one night), of course it damages our chances (even if it is 0.001%).

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
I agreed with the part ' The order they are obtained is meaningless.' but disagreed with when he said 'Irrelevant'.

Of course it is relevant. When divisional rivals do good and you don't (regardless of if it is one night), of course it damages our chances (even if it is 0.001%).

Haha thank you. Thus my original post - sucks that every other team in our division won last night xD

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I say...points are relevant at any time you get them because if we won two points last night, we wouldn't be talking if the points those points are relevant or not :laugh: a

leafstilldeath*

Bozak played We Can't Stop in the locker room after the win against the Wild, and the media had some fun with it.

Should have played Wrecking Ball last night

And was seen twerking to the disgust of the locker room with only Kessel clapping along with the beats and whistling on Bozak's moves

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
So, the high-flying offense of Lupul and Kessel plus Bernier will be enough to make it to the playoffs despite a porous D and giving up almost 40 shots a game? Okay.

The stats fans who love to shove point totals from forwards and shots on goal from them discount the bad D and the shots the Leafs give up? :laugh:

The flukey goal aside, the team is faltering in two aspects:
1) the defence is abysmal - they are not good at coverage and the team as a whole, is not very good defensively... maybe that is why guys like Lupul and Kessel get good shot totals and points but the team overall give up tons of shots?

2) they're a regular season team - they don't adjust or adapt to the playoffs.... the same failing followed them into the post-season. They blew a tire v.s. Boston. The Bruins just didn't play up to their potential but when they were desperate, they left the Leafs in the dust and delivered one of the most embarrassing 7 game losses in memory.

The Leafs need both Reimer and Bernier to be healthy or they're toast.

Carlyle knows the weaknesses I'm sure but whether much will change in that dept. remains to be seen. Go ahead and post Kessel's and Lupul's stats, who cares. They still are giving up almost 40 shots a game and usually, don't keep up offensively. If they get quality scoring chances and the goalie (whoever's in net) stands on their head, they might win. But, that's their story every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad