Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 | Corsi's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

They play the Hawks in Chicago Saturday night...that game will show us exactly where this team is at.

Either way, whether you think they deserve to be 6-2 or not, this is the best Leafs team put together since the days of Gilmour, Clark and Andreychuk. And the only team with a better goaltending 1-2 punch is arguably St. Louis.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Bernier said he thought it was icing, which is why he let up on it non chalant like.

Carlyle argued to the ref that despite Dvorak having a step, Rielly would have got the puck first because he was on the outside and would likely have got to the puck first because it appeared as if it would go around the boards and out the other side

Beware of Hybrid icing

Actually he said he thought it was icing, but that is no excuse.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
They play the Hawks in Chicago Saturday night...that game will show us exactly where this team is at.

Either way, whether you think they deserve to be 6-2 or not, this is the best Leafs team put together since the days of Gilmour, Clark and Andreychuk. And the only team with a better goaltending 1-2 punch is arguably St. Louis.

Leafs of the 1999-2004 years were better. We don't have any centre who even comes close to Mats, nor is our defense as well-rounded as it was back then, nor do we have a goalie who even comes close to the likes of CuJo or Belfour. The one area where we're arguably better is at wing though, prime Kessel and Lupul are better than anybody we had back then at that stage. Only one that came close was Mogilny and even then his best days were behind him.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Everything was off tonight. Passes, skating, cycles. Nothing clicked. Gunnarson, Gardiner, and Ranger looked horrendous. Franson and Rielly were the only ones playing well on D.

Leivo looks really damn good though.

Brutal bounce to lose the game. Still questioning it.

K19*

Leafs of the 1999-2004 years were better. We don't have any centre who even comes close to Mats, nor is our defense as well-rounded as it was back then, nor do we have a goalie who even comes close to the likes of CuJo or Belfour. The one area where we're arguably better is at wing though, prime Kessel and Lupul are better than anybody we had back then at that stage. Only one that came close was Mogilny and even then his best days were behind him.

Completely agree.

EDDIE20*

Meh. We're not gonna win 'em all. The Canes usually give us problems and losing on a ******** goal just sealed it.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
We need to clean up the give-aways, we have 4 guys in the top 10 and 8 in the top 15 for most give-aways in the NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSASALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Edit: make that 5

1. Gunnarsson - 14 GVA
2. Rielly - 14 GVA
7. Kessel - 12 GVA
8. Lupul - 12 GVA
9. Kadri - 11 GVA
11. Ranger - 11 GVA
12. Franson - 10 GVA
14. Phaneuf - 10 GVA

we've been down the giveaway road. Its odd how the Leafs keep managing to get as many giveaways in the first period of any game in Toronto as they do in three complete road games combined eh?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay it's a new day, and I say bring on Chicago. apparently a lot of people think we're going to be totally blown out of the water. I - personally - do not. [does this shock you, I am thinking, no.] LOL

But to just read some of these comments, even taking in the bizarro goal, kind of blows my mind. I think we can can be of one mind saying that the third period (which is generally our best period this season) was not there. something something injured, something something crap defense whatever. it's done and over with. I don't even think even with our two goal lead, we "stopped playing." until the third period. they came out flat.

Maybe "flat" = "trap?" Im not quite sure.

anyhoo. I don't know when the team is flying out to Chicago - either last night, (so they could sleep in Chicago, then practice, whatever) or today. but the team has oft. risen to the level of the oppenent. (for the most part) which is why we're oft. loosey-goosey with Edmonton/Tampa etc, (play their style of game), and oft. play our brand of hockey against Philadelphia, Boston etc.

a full 60 is obviously needed. but if they take the third periods of every game (excluding last night) and pair it up with hte first two periods of last night's game (which was pretty good, excluding the two breakaways) - it's a good start for the squad we've got so far.

I am really hoping JVR is ready to go - that - will make the difference in my opinion, everything will be a bit more balanced. if not - Lupul may see 1st line action - just to create a little space for Kessel because it was not happening with Raymond.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
we've been down the giveaway road. Its odd how the Leafs keep managing to get as many giveaways in the first period of any game in Toronto as they do in three complete road games combined eh?

yes. the stat guy in the ACC is clearly drunk. :laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
yes. the stat guy in the ACC is clearly drunk. :laugh:

It's a wonder nothing has been done about it. Not to say that giveaway stats are something the NHL should be overly concerned with, but someone is obviously ****ing it up, and has been for years now.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's a wonder nothing has been done about it. Not to say that giveaway stats are something the NHL should be overly concerned with, but someone is obviously ****ing it up, and has been for years now.

it almost seems to me - they don't care. (down to the players - sort of like they all KNOW it's a huge differential, but whatever). I mean just listen to the team when they know they have a lot of giveaways on the road vs. at home the attitude is totally different. like at home. "Oh yeah, we have a lot of giveaways."

on the road. "we really, really need to crack down on that."

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

No it won't.

It'll show how good this team is at bouncing back from tough defeats (something they were really good at last season), but it won't show exactly where this team is at - particularly because there are so many regulars out. Even more so if JvR continues to be absent.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
We were due for one of these. we are missing too many people to get a true sense of how good we are. I'm just hoping that this was a wake-up call and the team gets back to playing a tougher checking style. Clarkson, Kule and Fraser should help. And JVR is integral on our first line.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I was just thinking about this last night...despite playing bad, it took two flukey goals to beat us.

Ryan Murphy's goal was similar to Nazem Kadri's first NHL goal. Deflects at a bad angle and goes into the net. Lucky goal.

Hybrid icing goal, if that puck goes around the boards, it's icing because Rielly is closer to it than Dvorak, it didn't and it got waived off...that's a bit weird, another lucky goal.

Staal's goal wasn't lucky but it was a rolling puck and therefore harder to stop.

Leafs two goals, one was a bad rebound not covered by Ward and his D didn't take care of it, and the shot by Leivo.

I think we'll clean up our game against Chicago. Chicago will give us chances and Crawford isn't exactly what I would all a great goalie.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was just thinking about this last night...despite playing bad, it took two flukey goals to beat us.

Ryan Murphy's goal was similar to Nazem Kadri's first NHL goal. Deflects at a bad angle and goes into the net. Lucky goal.

Hybrid icing goal, if that puck goes around the boards, it's icing because Rielly is closer to it than Dvorak, it didn't and it got waived off...that's a bit weird, another lucky goal.

Staal's goal wasn't lucky but it was a rolling puck and therefore harder to stop.

Leafs two goals, one was a bad rebound not covered by Ward and his D didn't take care of it, and the shot by Leivo.

I think we'll clean up our game against Chicago. Chicago will give us chances and Crawford isn't exactly what I would all a great goalie.

Staal went high over glove ... bad glove hand I suppose. :sarcasm: Every high glove is an indication of a weak glove hand. ;)

There is no excuse for the winner. You play to the whistle. If a goalie thinks the play is offside does he not try and stop a shot?

Bernier has played well except for his past 2 starts, but he isn't going to stop everything. No defense can be given for the 3rd. goal.

TBH I thought they were playing a more sound game defensively last night.

Carlyle has been concerned about their play, so maybe now he has some ammo.

We've been saying 2 in the bank, take them and run, well, last night 2 got away.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
watching the post game video....

Lupul looks and sounds pissed. like not. at the ref or whatever (but his tone was really low and clipped kind of and he just had this look in his eye). I think he's going to have a monster game in Chicago.

I'd be pissed if I were Lupul as well. He was the sacrificial lamb

who went to Carlyle and was granted a optional skate. He went out

to win the game, and the majority of his teammates laid an egg.

Lupul worked extra hard to win this game, to remain credible

in the eyes of the coaching staff. He was on an island by himself

last night. I'd be a little pissed at some of my teammates and their

effort.:rant:

We didn't deserve to win, we were simply outworked in the 3rd

period. Yes Carolina was fortunate (lucky) to leave town with 2

points. But luck can sometimes be described as the cross-road

where hard work and opportunity meet. We were

outworked.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a healthy regular line-up. I'm

still very optimistic that this is a playoff built team. We just need

to get there.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Lupul deserves a look from Team Canada. Considering the lack of natural wingers they invited to the orientation camp even moreso.

I'll be pissed if a guy like Giroux makes the team on name value alone. hes playing like GARBAGE

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lupul deserves a look from Team Canada. Considering the lack of natural wingers they invited to the orientation camp even moreso.

I'll be pissed if a guy like Giroux makes the team on name value alone. hes playing like GARBAGE

Lupul should be on the team. He has been playing All Star hockey past 3 years.

EDDIE20*

A buddy and I were talking about this last night. He picked Giroux in his pool and the pick following his was Lupul. He's regretting it.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

Both teams have solid goaltending but Ottawa disagrees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad