Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
A game like this was bound to happen. We outplayed the Rangers but couldn’t score, Shesterkin is one of the best goalies in the league. I’m proud of the boys cause they didn’t have their best but still dominated.

Really good game by the third and fourth lines. Marner wasn’t dancing, Tavares didn’t have the legs tonight. Nylander invisible. Matthews had chances but couldn’t convert. Just one of those games. We’ll have Samy in net on Saturday, I’m counting on his stellar play continuing.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I know there was like a 1% chance of something happening, but I feel like it's pretty rare you don't see a goalie pull with the face off in the opponents zone with 1 min left when you're down by 2 or less...

While I'd love for the streaks to go on forever, I'm sure that Marner will be happy that he doesn't need to keep answering questions about it.

Re-focus for next game and keep focusing on playing the 200ft game.
This also rubbed me the wrong way, I didn’t like that. There was about 45-50 seconds left and they had an offensive zone face off. Pull the goalie, try to get a quick goal while also see if Marner can extend the streak.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Is Engvall better lol? Think I saw him out there with JT and Nylander yikes.
He’s playing a bit better in the last 3 games
Long Pause
Ok .
And the rest of his career prior has been “ short stretches of good play and tiny glimpses of what could be , and boy is he long and fast and handsome and what a body “ and ………?
Nothing more ..

Now on the great side
Kampf
and
Holmberg
Now these two players bring it hard mentally and emotionally and physically every single game, goals and points or not , shift in , shift out..
Hard , solid 2 way honest bottom 6 players , winners !
So excited for the level of play consistently that these2 players have shown so far .
Very impressive.

You can’t win them all…….wait, what……..I can’t believe I said that.
Hmmmmm there’s always room for you here on this side hmmmmm mooooo hah ,,,, ha ha ha ……😈
1671160857141.gif

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Tavares is so slow….skating wise
Tavaras had a really bad game, well beyond anything related to skating. His play on and off the puck was pretty much garbage. Could have salvaged the game by potting that late chance.

Matthews wasn't much better imo, nor was Marner. Not saying they weren't working, just really poor play selection and generally soft on the puck. Not concerned since this is the exception and not the norm.

It's rare all three have off games on the same night, but when it happens, chances are you end up with an L.

Too bad ZAR has about as much finish as Kerfoot. That line was excellent in generating chances, just no finish.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Tavares is so slow….skating wise
Yes tonight he looked heavy and tired …
That’s going to happen , he was grinding it out there usual , that’s the thing with these veteran really good players and JT , he brings it with his hard work and greasy corner and board play .
Our challenges is with players that don’t get engaged in the game at some level or when they don’t bring their A game …
We need a couple more of the consistent hard working man players out there …
Hopefully this year we can truly address the Top 6 LWer position as well .
I wouldn’t mind if 47 was pushed to our 4th line if it meant that the RWer was in that younger grittier , good solid player as well as Kampf or Holmberg filling it out .
We will see ..
It’s crucial …

A game like this was bound to happen. We outplayed the Rangers but couldn’t score, Shesterkin is one of the best goalies in the league. I’m proud of the boys cause they didn’t have their best but still dominated.

Really good game by the third and fourth lines. Marner wasn’t dancing, Tavares didn’t have the legs tonight. Nylander invisible. Matthews had chances but couldn’t convert. Just one of those games. We’ll have Samy in net on Saturday, I’m counting on his stellar play continuing.
Awesome man
GLG

We need a 2nd line LW so so badly, and no there are no internal options.

We cannot expect Knies to step in and succed right out of college
I can’t disagree at all .

GLG

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
He's a pretty good hockey player, awesome speed, just cant finish to save his life... Steeves would fit in nice on that line, kid has been able to score at every level and just keeps getting better. Hard worker.

Eh, couldn't buy a goal. Matthews was still generating chances, but just couldn't tuck. Marner's fake slapper had a lot of prospects. Pretty bad puck luck and things just weren't clicking on the powerplay. it happens.
Nicely reviewed.

I would certainly go with “ good player tag “ when it comes to 47
But your takes on Steeves , are spot on , I truly think he’s going to be a sleeper” something about his play “ leads me to believe that he will be an even better NHLer than a AHLer type of player …..
His intelligence and hockey sense and a knack positioning positioning along with his natural instincts .
Better players around him will enhance his abilities…
And your thoughts on the Pp and some puckluck issues were true as well .
I thought our top players generated enough offence and chances , but like our goaltending has played great ( tonight , pretty good ) their goalie played terrific .
It’s always about the next game response to a one like tonight , that determines who the real contenders are , the Bruins have done that all year and most years in and out , so do the Bolts , and Canes for the most part and a select group of teams that play on that level .
I’m hoping that Saturdays game has better results and really show that this group has finally learned ?
GLG

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Can only judge the game from the boxscore, what srood out to me was Marner with 6 giveaways, Matthews with 4. Very little hitting by the Leafs, they could certainly use a little more jam against such constructed opponents. It's as if Lybushkin was the guiding force for this teams more physical approach last year.

Teams such as.the Rangers, T.B, Capitals, Flames, Vegas always seem to create trouble for this team as they take away space and play physical, Leafs don't have an answer on their 3rd and 4th outside when Clifford and Simmonds are in the lineup, which may be in far fewer situations.

You can't win them.all, but I hope Dubas is thinking about such playoff opponents when the deadine arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Can only judge the game from the boxscore, what srood out to me was Marner with 6 giveaways, Matthews with 4. Very little hitting by the Leafs, they could certainly use a little more jam against such constructed opponents. It's as if Lybushkin was the guiding force for this teams more physical approach last year.

Teams such as.the Rangers, T.B, Capitals, Flames, Vegas always seem to create trouble for this team as they take away space and play physical, Leafs don't have an answer on their 3rd and 4th outside when Clifford and Simmonds are in the lineup, which may be in far fewer situations.

You can't win them.all, but I hope Dubas is thinking about such playoff opponents when the deadine arrives.
Good takes as well …
Unfortunately one of our few deficiencies in our system thus far that we have is we don’t have younger, faster and bit more skilled players that would replace “ Simmonds and Clifford “ ( they can’t play anymore ) , we need to acquire these types of players and a real LWer through trades …
So let’s do it ..
No more fooling around
These are our holes , get on with it .. we don’t have that in our system , other than Steeves , but he isn’t the answer as well to that extent .

Reactions: Leafsfan74

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not exactly sure how Lyubushkin would have made any difference in this game... Our issues were offensive, not defensive. Rangers had practically nothing going on tonight offensively. They just made good on what they did get.

The Leafs had plenty offensively, but they legitimately missed a dozen shots on net from prime areas. Not even including some excellent saves from Shestyerkin... Just flat out missed the net for no real reason. That is just ridiculously bad finishing in a game that we should have easily been able to win 5-2.

Also, didn't we just put up 5 goals against the Flames? We haven't had any trouble dismantling physical teams in the past, and certainly haven't had trouble dismantling them this year either.

The main story of this game should be hit the damn net and make better passes.

Mar 26, 2010
Murray is no good, straight up. Samsonov is the much better younger goalie. He should be starting most games with Murray as the back up only against weaker teams. Big lose against the NYR. Expect the Leafs to get blown right off the ice by Ovechkin on Saturday night in Washington.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A lot of poor decisions and unforced errors, passes that just didn't click, and missed chances.

I'm not sure what they call a 'giveaway', but there were at least six times Tavares had the puck and just passed it right to a Ranger. Matthews and Marner had a bunch too.

I didn't see the injury to Liljegren, even after rewatching. He played a shift midway through the second, sat on the bench for four minutes, had one more shift, and left. I saw nothing like a hit that would have caused it, so hopefully it's just a minor thing and they sat him as a precaution.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Not exactly sure how Lyubushkin would have made any difference in this game... Our issues were offensive, not defensive. Rangers had practically nothing going on tonight offensively. They just made good on what they did get.

The Leafs had plenty offensively, but they legitimately missed a dozen shots on net from prime areas. Not even including some excellent saves from Shestyerkin... Just flat out missed the net for no real reason. That is just ridiculously bad finishing in a game that we should have easily been able to win 5-2.

Also, didn't we just put up 5 goals against the Flames? We haven't had any trouble dismantling physical teams in the past, and certainly haven't had trouble dismantling them this year either.

The main story of this game should be hit the damn net and make better passes.

I'm speaking more generally in regards to playing physical day in and day out not just this game. They don't need to play that way against every team, but every team in the playoffs will play such a game (outside of maybe NJ) and we don't match up well.

The Leafs consist of two offensive lines and two shutdown lines. This can win you a Cup, however, when the playoffs begin the top stars haven't been money once space disappears and the game gets more in the trenches. We don't see the games that players like Point or Kucherov regularly have or a Marchand or Pastrnak. THESE are money players when the game gets tough, men who take over series and put the team on their shoulders when the pressure is on.

Matthews has been decent in the playoffs, but he's hit and miss. Others have over their careers been less effective when the post season begins.
As such, relying on two shut down lines and praying the top lines get it done is a bigger gamble than signing two oft-injured goalies IMO. Wishful thinking.

They need some size, forecheck and pains for the opposition on the 3rd and 4th lines. Simmonds and Clifford are more fill ins, especially Clifford at this point. So, Dubas needs to find that depth that will drive the net, wear down opponents and be a general handful for them. We don't need more stars, we need worker bees come playoffs, mid-tier contracts. They could have the same production as out 3rd and 4th but play a more "involved" role in other aspects..

Take the overalll assessment of the games against such teams this year They have been losses or 1 goal wins when the game was in our favour due to other teams injuries or against the Flames, for instance, them taking too many penalties. Five on five, full squads, I still don't like our chances against such teams in a playoff series.

To be honest, I don't know how this isn't abundantly clear in year seven of the rebuild. Dubas seems to appreciate the D Men like Muzzin, Lybushkin, Bogosian and Benn, but outside of Foligno and Ritchie, both short lived stints; he avoids such forwards.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad