Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought the first period was actually a lot of fun and frenetic, then the game was locked down by both teams. Not too upset by this loss, thought we played the defending cup champs well. They played a lot like the Bolts did last playoffs in games 6 and 7, getting in front of everything and putting up a wall in front of their goalie. Gotta figure out a way to get through that. I thought the shot attempts looked closer than the shot total but Colorado was better at clogging the space in front of their net. Sammy was great for us but not a massive difference maker. Regardless, I feel much more confident with him in net than Murray. I think the team does too.
I am with you on your assessment .. da 1st was really guns a blazing .. both tenders made a 10 beller .. and then we got to see playoff lock down defensive hockey which is amazing for guys like me .. it is another example for me that we can play a grind it out playoff type game which is what will happen against Tampa soon .. da arena was not like da McJesus game but really that game was a one off where lots of regulars season ticket holders sold off their duckets for profits .. so loads of excitement in building .. for was left to be seen is can this team go past midnight in overtime staying with a grind it out game without trying to make a risky play .. glad we picked up ROR as he is type of knows how to win in this type of game .. but get ready for at least 4 of those types of games against Tampa

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They're running 11 forwards at the moment, as a choice spurred on by 2 of our likely playoff forwards not being currently available, but that's very different from having and being "built" with 11 NHL caliber forwards in the organization.

They're not running Timmins or Benn currently, so why are you counting every NHL caliber defenseman in the organization but only the forwards currently being run? Leaving out O'Rielly, Knies, Holmberg, etc. Kinda misleading...
Well they aren't deep at forward, especially if you want to talk about the playoffs. Holmberg, Knies, Lafferty, and ZAR have combined for 1 playoff goal between them. None of them are proven performers. Even with Knies/RoR unavailable, why is Keefe running 11F instead of playing Holmberg in your opinion?

If you want to say that the Leafs aren't as deep at defense as I think, you could definitely make that case. I'm just not sure how it's meant to be a defense for how the team is constructed. I don't think it's really up for debate that the Leafs have played some of their worst hockey all year in March

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
25mins+ a night is insane leading in the PO. If we make the 2nd Round he'll be gassed or have a poor series potentially. He should be resting up wherever possible.

Add: Not to mention risk of injury increases substantially with fatigue and TOI.

The other night I watched the Bruins and they have already begun pulling TOI/g from the "Perfection line" planning for a long playoff run,

Bergeron : 16:58 TOI/g & Marchand: 16:13 and Pasta :18:47 which is similar to Krejci : 16:56, DeBrusk: 16:10 & P. Zacha: 16:38

However Leafs think its a good idea to run 11F/7D and up the ice time of their stars in losses .. Marner 29:10 minutes & Matthews 26:52 while the 11th forward Z. Aston-Reese is getting only 10 shifts and 7:04 TOI/g.

Looks like Keefe plans on running Leafs stars into the ground to hold on to home ice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The other night I watched the Bruins and they have already begun pulling TOI/g from the "Perfection line" planning for a long playoff run,

Bergeron : 16:58 TOI/g & Marchand: 16:13 and Pasta :18:47 which is similar to Krejci : 16:56, DeBrusk: 16:10 & P. Zacha: 16:38

However Leafs think its a good idea to run 11F/7D and up the ice time of their stars in losses .. Marner 29:10 minutes & Matthews 26:52 while the 11th forward Z. Aston-Reese is getting only 10 shifts and 7:04 TOI/g.

Looks like Keefe plans on running Leafs stars into the ground to hold on to home ice.

I have no words for it. Foolish? I don't know what else to say other than Keefe is playing with fire at this point. Even if those extra minutes causes Matthews additional discomfort in a nagging injury, that alone could change the outcome of a series.

Lets hope sanity prevails

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well they aren't deep at forward, especially if you want to talk about the playoffs. Holmberg, Knies, Lafferty, and ZAR have combined for 1 playoff goal between them. None of them are proven performers. Even with Knies/RoR unavailable, why is Keefe running 11F instead of playing Holmberg in your opinion?

If you want to say that the Leafs aren't as deep at defense as I think, you could definitely make that case. I'm just not sure how it's meant to be a defense for how the team is constructed. I don't think it's really up for debate that the Leafs have played some of their worst hockey all year in March
We are deep at forward and defense, and the issue was that your statement applied different criteria to count forwards and defensemen in order to misrepresent us as being built with only 11 NHL caliber forwards, which is wildly untrue. Heck, beyond leaving out O'Rielly, Knies, and Holmberg... you've been praising McMann in every single thread, and then suddenly nobody exists when we're tallying up forwards? You can dislike the 11-7 lineup choice without doing these kinds of things that you used to call out yourself. I'm not really sure what career playoff goals has to do with anything. You don't need a grizzled, high-scoring playoff veteran in every single role. None of Holmberg/Knies/Lafferty have had the opportunity to prove themselves in the playoffs yet, and ZAR and Holmberg likely aren't even on the playoff roster.

We've had a bit of a rocky, up and down half-dozen games or so, as we integrate new faces, experience some injuries, and explore an 11-7 setup that we haven't practiced a whole ton, but that hardly means time to panic. I'm not really a huge fan of the 11-7, but I think the point is to practice it in case we need it. And I think with O'Rielly injured and Knies not yet here, they value keeping their 8 potential playoff defensemen fresh, and practicing 11 forward scenarios, over taking what would likely be their 14th forward for the playoffs away from gearing up for his AHL playoffs.

Right choice? Maybe.
Wrong choice? Maybe.
Anywhere close to as big of a deal as people are making it out to be? Absolutely not.

Reactions: thusk

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
25mins+ a night is insane leading in the PO. If we make the 2nd Round he'll be gassed or have a poor series potentially. He should be resting up wherever possible.

Add: Not to mention risk of injury increases substantially with fatigue and TOI.

Do you have a source that he is tired?

If you watched Marner away from the puck in the third last night he wasn’t moving much and on PKs he’d just glide if the puck was sent down the ice. He knows how to reserve the energy but he shouldn’t be in this position in the first place.

Marner used to play 40 mins a night in Jr., he isn't a 220lb power forward, I am far less concerned with someone like him playing a ton of minutes.

Also, OT happened.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I wonder if the Colorado board is calling Bednar an idiot for playing Makar over 30 minutes last night.
Heck, he played J.T. freakin' Compher 24 minutes.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Does anyone else turn the game off when it goes to a shootout?

I really don't give two craps about the skills contest to end a game.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wonder if the Colorado board is calling Bednar an idiot for playing Makar over 30 minutes last night.
Heck, he played J.T. freakin' Compher 24 minutes.
Could it be that they are trying to chase down Minny for home ice ??

Does anyone else turn the game off when it goes to a shootout?

I really don't give two craps about the skills contest to end a game.
I enjoy the 3 on 3 and SO if it gets there. I prefer games are not settled by SO but it was our 2nd this year so no big deal IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have no words for it. Foolish? I don't know what else to say other than Keefe is playing with fire at this point. Even if those extra minutes causes Matthews additional discomfort in a nagging injury, that alone could change the outcome of a series.

Lets hope sanity prevails
I would certainly reduce Marner's SH TOI/g at this point hoping some of the new players could lighten that load of ice-time for him. Keep him fresher for offense when needed.

Leafs only managed 18 shots on net & only 4 in the 2nd period against the Avs, The other game against Buffalo 3 shots in the 2nd and then fell a apart in the 3rd as Buffalo mounted a comeback..

Perhaps toooo much TOI/g for the Leafs star players in a 11F/7D formation is more detrimental then good?

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
With the excitement of the TDL behind us, these certainly feel like the "dog days" of the season, with Playoffs around the corner.

I find I am not as up for games as I was, and this 11-7 non-sense hasn't done anything to keep my interest.

For now, I find I look forward most to: a return to 12-6 hockey, ROR's return, Knies joining the lineup, and finally starting the Playoffs.

Until then and particularly with the 11-7 baloney, my interest has definitely waned the last few weeks. The only thing that has increased is my dislike of Keefe and my belief that he is not going to take us where we need to go.

It feels like he is already starting to cost us Liljegren.
I feel the exact same way about everything you've said here. Thank you.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn’t like Liljegren’s nervous start to the OT which kind of threw off the whole rhythm of the early puck possession when he made that whiff on the outlet pass which turned into high danger turnover.

It was obvious a nice vote of confidence in him and whatnot and won’t read much more into it. But man I wish we didn’t have such a nervous culture where every guy is so self conscious of the moment. Just play free and emotionally unburdened.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Didn’t like Liljegren’s nervous start to the OT which kind of threw off the whole rhythm of the early puck possession when he made that whiff on the outlet pass which turned into high danger turnover.

It was obvious a nice vote of confidence in him and whatnot and won’t read much more into it. But man I wish we didn’t have such a nervous culture where every guy is so self conscious of the moment. Just play free and emotionally unburdened.
Not sure who said it yesterday, but they said Keefe prefers to play vets so it is possible we see Luke over Lily game #1. Personally if their jobs are on the line, I do not care what they do as long as they are replaced if they fail again.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure who said it yesterday, but they said Keefe prefers to play vets so it is possible we see Luke over Lily game #1. Personally if their jobs are on the line, I do not care what they do as long as they are replaced if they fail again.

I see that as a tone setting possibility but Liljegren needs playoff looks.

Reactions: ToneDog and thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would certainly reduce Marner's SH TOI/g at this point hoping some of the new players could lighten that load of ice-time for him. Keep him fresher for offense when needed.

Leafs only managed 18 shots on net & only 4 in the 2nd period against the Avs, The other game against Buffalo 3 shots in the 2nd and then fell a apart in the 3rd as Buffalo mounted a comeback..

Perhaps toooo much TOI/g for the Leafs star players in a 11F/7D formation is more detrimental then good?

I think there is absolutely a case and argument that they are overplayed as it is, and that the 11/7 is driving them into the ground. They should be following Boston's lead and reducing TOI. What do I know though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you have a source that he is tired?

Marner used to play 40 mins a night in Jr., he isn't a 220lb power forward, I am far less concerned with someone like him playing a ton of minutes.

Also, OT happened.

Ya pretty much PHD level professionals have studied this to death. It's why most teams rest players before playoffs unless you feel that is some sort of fluke or superstition. My cousin worked directly with the Leafs (Sports Sciences) in the past.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think there is absolutely a case and argument that they are overplayed as it is, and that the 11/7 is driving them into the ground. They should be following Boston's lead and reducing TOI. What do I know though.
Boston pretty much is home and cooled. Unless Tampa continues to stumble, we cannot afford to give away too many points. Some will tell you home ice does not matter, I won't.

Tampa
Home 24-6-5Away 16-16-1

Toronto
Home 24-7-5Away 16-11-4

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ya pretty much PHD level professionals have studied this to death. It's why most teams rest players before playoffs unless you feel that is some sort of fluke or superstition. My cousin worked directly with the Leafs (Sports Sciences) in the past.

I don't care what your cousin did, they are irrelevant.

Just post some studies that going from 22 min a night to 25+ is going to decrease performance significantly, you claimed it has been studied to death, please prevent some studies.

I trust the CURRENT professionals managing his load.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Boston pretty much is home and cooled. Unless Tampa continues to stumble, we cannot afford to give away too many points. Some will tell you home ice does not matter, I won't.

Fair enough but do you think running 11/7 and Marner 29mins a night is the way to go about it? I may not come across as a big Marner fan but I know we need him 100% and without him making a cup out of this is probably near impossible. Same goes for any of the big 4 tbh.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, they're competing for home ice, like us.
Agreed the difference is that they are chasing and we are being chased. They could also slip to a WC if they are not careful. BTW, you forgot to mention that Makar played those minutes and they are playing tonight in Ottawa.

Fair enough but do you think running 11/7 and Marner 29mins a night is the way to go about it? I may not come across as a big Marner fan but I know we need him 100% and without him making a cup out of this is probably near impossible. Same goes for any of the big 4 tbh.
Yes I think Marner should be playing fewer minutes and we should stop experimenting with 11/7 if it keeps costing us points. Not a good look if it contributes to them losing home ice. I know I do not want game #7 in their barn.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
BTW, you forgot to mention that Makar played those minutes and they are playing tonight in Ottawa.
Wow, you're right, they are. By the logic of this place, Bednar must be super duper stupid then. I wonder when the firing will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad