Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Was it Friedman or someone else that mentioned that they should extend the overtime period to be 10 mins instead of 5 and I'm TOTALLY in favor of that. Really hate the shootout for deciding games.
Ken Holland is a proponent of 4 on 4 for 10mins.

Lot of people say boring, I don't get it, it was shutdown playoff hockey where the difference between wins and losses is your goaltender, that's as tense as it gets.

Sammy passed a test against the SC Champs.

ROR I think will eventually make a huge difference to how the Leafs defend, and add a voice in the room that will act as a hedge against any panic.

Team looked good, Sammy looked great, Mitch is unreal. Willie and Auston will be ready.

Reactions: torontoblood

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Somebody needs to tell Keefe right to his face that he's not smarter than everyone else, and to stop f***ing around and just coach the team like a normal hockey coach.
What would you have him do?

Theres a guy here that maybe you can tell because he knows a guy who has direct access, and he can tell Keefe exactly first off #1. What he needs to do., #2 where he can buy a stop watch, and #3 how Justin Holl could be really really really useful to the Marlies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I get Keefe wanting to experiment with different forward combo's and 11F + 7D makes that easier in game. It also serves 2 fold as it gets our long list of NHL defensemen ice time. But at the same time it is complete bush league shit. It's developing bad habits, and we really should be trying to develop chemistry instead of f***ing around.

Like I said last game, I am so apathetic at the moment. Wins and losses really don't matter much at this point. We are securely in the playoffs and looking good for that second seed, which I'll be honest I don't think home ice is going to give us any advantage or disadvantage against the bolts. Our biggest hurdle will always be ourselves.

It's hard to give a f*** about the outcome of the game when we lose the game with the announcement of the lineup card. I basically count 7D+11F games as losses before puckdrop, if they somehow manage to pull out a dub I am just pleasantly surprised.
If you're apathetic why so much negative emotion?

Apathetic is how I feel about my ex wife, I'm no longer angry at her in the least, and if the truth be known I couldn't care less if I ever spoke to her again, but if she spoke to me I would be civil.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Boston pretty much is home and cooled. Unless Tampa continues to stumble, we cannot afford to give away too many points. Some will tell you home ice does not matter, I won't.

Tampa
Home 24-6-5Away 16-16-1

Toronto
Home 24-7-5Away 16-11-4
The last view times I watched the Bs they looked a little low on fuel, I think maintaining this run has drained them a bit, more mentally then physically I think, that said just wait till the heavy hockey begins April 15. This might just be different Bs then we're used to.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
The other night I watched the Bruins and they have already begun pulling TOI/g from the "Perfection line" planning for a long playoff run,

Bergeron : 16:58 TOI/g & Marchand: 16:13 and Pasta :18:47 which is similar to Krejci : 16:56, DeBrusk: 16:10 & P. Zacha: 16:38

However Leafs think its a good idea to run 11F/7D and up the ice time of their stars in losses .. Marner 29:10 minutes & Matthews 26:52 while the 11th forward Z. Aston-Reese is getting only 10 shifts and 7:04 TOI/g.

Looks like Keefe plans on running Leafs stars into the ground to hold on to home ice.

Keefe as it now stands… is an idiot. He deserves to be fired if we are out of round 1

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If you're apathetic why so much negative emotion?

Apathetic is how I feel about my ex wife, I'm no longer angry at her in the least, and if the truth be known I couldn't care less if I ever spoke to her again, but if she spoke to me I would be civil.
I am apathetic to the results of the games, but I do not like the way we are treating these games if that makes any sense. We seem to be focusing on things that I don't think matter a ton. Ie. giving our 7th/8th D-men consistent reps, and working a rotisserie of forward line combos with zero consistency shift to shift and game to game. I have no problem with a healthy in and out of guys to keep our guys fresh and engaged. Especially on the back end. But when you systematically are implementing a lineup of 7D + 11F on a night in night out basis I struggle to find any benefit in that. We will not be using this system at all in the playoffs, so why continue to use it? the odd game here or there due to injury, sure. But to this extent is ridiculous IMO

When Sheldon dresses a lineup of 7D + 11F, to me it looks like he doesn't give a shit about the end result of the game. It looks like a training camp lineup where he is not at all concerned about outcome, but more so focusing on individual matchups/pairings/combos. At the very least getting a result does not appear to be the only objective of the game. It doesn't even appear to be the primary objective if I am being honest.

So ya, I don't like watching lineups where I feel the focus is not primarily or solely intended on getting a result. I just have a hard time getting into these games when I feel like the focus is elsewhere. Hence the apathy towards the results of the game.

For the record, I still think Sheldon is a good coach and I understand his desire to experiment at the moment given our situation. I just don't know if I fully agree with everything he is doing at the moment. To me, it would be like if Scottie Scheffler were to try and change his golf swing 3 weeks before the Masters just so that he can confidently say he's turned over that rock, as opposed to just practicing and reinforcing the good habits that make him the #2 golfer in the world. With the amount of roster turnover we had at the TDL, I just don't understand why we are running lineups like this. It will never make sense to me

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I am apathetic to the results of the games, but I do not like the way we are treating these games if that makes any sense. We seem to be focusing on things that I don't think matter a ton. Ie. giving our 7th/8th D-men consistent reps, and working a rotisserie of forward line combos with zero consistency shift to shift and game to game. I have no problem with a healthy in and out of guys to keep our guys fresh and engaged. Especially on the back end. But when you systematically are implementing a lineup of 7D + 11F on a night in night out basis I struggle to find any benefit in that. We will not be using this system at all in the playoffs, so why continue to use it? the odd game here or there due to injury, sure. But to this extent is ridiculous IMO

When Sheldon dresses a lineup of 7D + 11F, to me it looks like he doesn't give a shit about the end result of the game. It looks like a training camp lineup where he is not at all concerned about outcome, but more so focusing on individual matchups/pairings/combos. At the very least getting a result does not appear to be the only objective of the game. It doesn't even appear to be the primary objective if I am being honest.

So ya, I don't like watching lineups where I feel the focus is not primarily or solely intended on getting a result. I just have a hard time getting into these games when I feel like the focus is elsewhere. Hence the apathy towards the results of the game.

For the record, I still think Sheldon is a good coach and I understand his desire to experiment at the moment given our situation. I just don't know if I fully agree with everything he is doing at the moment. To me, it would be like if Scottie Scheffler were to try and change his golf swing 3 weeks before the Masters just so that he can confidently say he's turned over that rock, as opposed to just practicing and reinforcing the good habits that make him the #2 golfer in the world. With the amount of roster turnover we had at the TDL, I just don't understand why we are running lineups like this. It will never make sense to me
When you're the Toronto Maple Leafs and the option of a better coach or the best coach is available, I think it's prudent to opt for the best coach available.

But how I hope I'm wrong and at the start of the second round I'll mea culpa before the start of every game from there on out.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Keefe is acting like a playoff berth is secured. It's not. If this continues, pretty soon we'll lose home ice to Tampa (look at the home/road splits, it matters) and we're a 5 game skid away from being in the last WC spot, or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad