Leafs Lose 2-1 - But The Future Is Bright

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Good, because Sparks might steal us a win.

i like sparks but his style yesterday had me nervous all game, you can't be flopping around like that every night, let in a softy and allow 4+ posts and hope to win every night.

Would another goalie done any better? I don't know... But I certainly am not taking yesterday's performance and thinking that Sparks is a heckuva improvement on bernier or reimer.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Good, because Sparks might steal us a win.

Even with 2 goals against last game, you are failing to acknowledge that he got REALLY lucky particularly in the first period. What are the odds of Stamkos, Johnson, and palat all missing 2 foot shots where the goalie is 3 to 4 feet away and on his belly? If you doubt this, go watch the first period again. His results were better than what his level of play indicated in that game. That is a very fair assessment.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
MORE GOOD NEWS, FROM OUR FARM...!

What a nice surprise in this Marlies game, today..! :)

The supertars get sent to the Leafs.. and everyone else picks it up another notch.. :handclap:

MARLIES BEAT ALBANY 4-0...! BIBEAU GETS A SHUTTIE..!!

Scoring
1. TOR Gauthier, (5) (Percy, Kurtz), 2:33
1. TOR Lindberg, (6) (Smith, Brown), 4:15
2. TOR Lindberg, (7) (Carrick, Holl), 9:09
3. TOR Arcobello, (21) (Frattin, Campbell), 10:04 (SH)

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
i thought all the rookies played pretty well except Connor Carrick. He was a liability every time he was on the ice.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
MORE GOOD NEWS, FROM OUR FARM...!

What a nice surprise in this Marlies game, today..! :)

The supertars get sent to the Leafs.. and everyone else picks it up another notch.. :handclap:

MARLIES BEAT ALBANY 4-0...! BIBEAU GETS A SHUTTIE..!!

Scoring
1. TOR Gauthier, (5) (Percy, Kurtz), 2:33
1. TOR Lindberg, (6) (Smith, Brown), 4:15
2. TOR Lindberg, (7) (Carrick, Holl), 9:09
3. TOR Arcobello, (21) (Frattin, Campbell), 10:04 (SH)

Two goals for Lindberg eh? He's an interesting prospect. I don't know if he's going to get much time in our top 6, but he might be a nice bottom 6 guy here in the future.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Question
I'm going down again Thursday and my little girl wants to go to Real Sports for dinner before hand.

I know how crazy it gets, if I'm there before 5 will we get a table?

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Question
I'm going down again Thursday and my little girl wants to go to Real Sports for dinner before hand.

I know how crazy it gets, if I'm there before 5 will we get a table?
I haven't been in quite a while, but I would highly recommend calling them beforehand, even today. I know it was really hard to get in any gameday without a reservation when I was there 2 years ago or so.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
i thought all the rookies played pretty well except Connor Carrick. He was a liability every time he was on the ice.

Totally disagree.

He was playing with Martin "Blind pass" Marcinin and still made a couple nice plays.

I've seen it mentioned around here all day, he looks like an Ian White, Tory Krug kind of defenseman, which I'm fine with. He's got wheels, a shot, and doesn't mind playing the body a bit, even for a little guy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I didn't think Carrick was bad either, he seemed a bit out of place early in his own end, but he doesn't know the systems and he was solid as the game went on. I wasn't wowed by him like say Kapanen's move in the 3rd, but he was solid with the puck in the offensive zone, and in the defensive zone it didn't look out of place after a couple scrambly plays in the first. That's what you want from a defenseman.

The goal that happens when he was on the ice Marincin stepped up after the puck and i9t got to Johnson on Marincin's side, Carrick got over there to cover for Marincin forcing the shot and it squeaked through Sparks.

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Truly. I've read that our other prospect, Timashov is fearless too. Exciting days ahead.

I have a buddy of mine who has (with no real specific knowledge, in all honesty) has been so unbelievably impressed by Timashov. He's not even a Leafs fan, he just thinks he sees something in the boy.

Man are these ever fun days right now, even after a loss. :laugh:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
To all the posters saying it could have been 5-1 because of all the lucky posts Tampa had. Well I could say the same thing for us. We hit the post at least 2-3 times and as was mentioned some horrible plays by Holland, Gardiner could have made the game 6-5 for us anyway. Always two sides to the coin folks.

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
To all the posters saying it could have been 5-1 because of all the lucky posts Tampa had. Well I could say the same thing for us. We hit the post at least 2-3 times and as was mentioned some horrible plays by Holland, Gardiner could have made the game 6-5 for us anyway. Always two sides to the coin folks.

Will Ny the shooting guy hit the post in the first, for gods sake. Could have been a different game if either team wasn't hitting posts or missing glorious chances.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is a difference when you hit the post because the goalie is in position and you miss him but hit the net versus when the puck goes through the goalie or the goalie is on the other side of the net.
Hopefully sparks calms down and we see his true game later, but for all his nice stops last night, I thought he was a little porous and lucky.

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
There is a difference when you hit the post because the goalie is in position and you miss him but hit the net versus when the puck goes through the goalie or the goalie is on the other side of the net.
Hopefully sparks calms down and we see his true game later, but for all his nice stops last night, I thought he was a little porous and lucky.

To me though... That sounds exactly like Reimer when he first started playing NHL games. No?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Even with 2 goals against last game, you are failing to acknowledge that he got REALLY lucky particularly in the first period. What are the odds of Stamkos, Johnson, and palat all missing 2 foot shots where the goalie is 3 to 4 feet away and on his belly? If you doubt this, go watch the first period again. His results were better than what his level of play indicated in that game. That is a very fair assessment.

Haha mikeyg has gone from the Reimer hate to Sparks hate just like that. Protect my man Bernier!

Never here you bring up Bernier's luck when opposing teams rip a few off the posts.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To me though... That sounds exactly like Reimer when he first started playing NHL games. No?

Very similar. I don't remember seeing so many holes in reimer, he was a good wall, he just didn't know where the puck was.
But all in all they are very similar.

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Very similar. I don't remember seeing so many holes in reimer, he was a good wall, he just didn't know where the puck was.
But all in all they are very similar.

The hole-factor could be an experience and technique issue... Or it could be the thing keeping Sparks from ever becoming a solid NHL goalie. Only time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad