Leafs Lose 2-1 - But The Future Is Bright

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I'd be happy with Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi but if we somehow drop to 5 or something, that would really piss me off. Especially if Edmonton wins again. :laugh::cry:

i'd be upset because edmonton doesn't deserve it, but at 5 we will get either dubois, serg, chychrun or nylander. i wouldn't be too upset.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
As a 20 year old, I've grown up in a world where the Leafs have always been ridiculed.

It's truly amazing to see young players, who wear the Leaf well, bringing respect back to the city.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Hawks fan here. I watched a bit of this game since it's always exciting to watch the kids play. (and since I'm a big fan of Sparks, Elmhurst stand up!) Kapanen looked very impressive and Nylander was very good as well. I liked Carrick out there, especially standing up for himself.

Get a couple of veteran forwards sprinkled in there to help the young guys (you can't make the same mistake Edmonton did and just have an all young top 6 and **** defense/goaltending) and a couple of defensemen and you're in business. Rooting for Sparks to have the goaltending position locked down!

always like chicago and hawks fans seem more classy than some of the canadian team fans.

we are nowhere near edmonton, as we traded for one of their higher rated d prospects (marincin), and he's the worst leaf on d.

we already have rielly to anchor the blue line (hoping he could be our keith like d), gardiner is an nhl level defenseman, loov and percy have shown that they can compete at the nhl level, and we have 3 up and comers in valiev, nielsen and dermott. dermott should at least be a second pairing but might be a d2.

even bernier is better than anyone they have in net.

also, we have a power forward in jvr, and i would say we have more forwards who grind on the boards and play a two way game, if they can make it (sosh, leipsic, brown, hyman, johnson). also, komorov, bozak and kadri should help the transition.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Kapanen was a very pleasant surprise last night. Overall, as has been said already, it's very heart warming to see our young call ups do well in their first game. It's only one game, yes, but a positive sign of things to come.

The fact we're even giving the kids a chance is such a 180 from a few years ago, that it's a positive sign moving forward. Not all of them will make it in the NHL, and not all of them that do will likely wear the Leaf. At least they're being given the chance to show what they have, and doing it in a structured environment/organization. It's great to see.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
also, it's heartwarming to see that the young guys aren't afraid to drive to the net or stand in front of it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs were coming off a 103 point season and you wanted to blow it up the next year???? I really do not remember that.

Even our GM at the time wanted to blow up the team and rebuild but the board wanted to keep pushing for the playoffs. And that 103 point team become a 90 point team that never again made the playoffs. The writing was on the wall as they say.

If memory serves there were 16 players on that team aged 32 or older. Their team point total isn't terribly relevant.

No our GM at the time didn't want to blow it up, he wanted to blow it up a couple of years later after he botched the re tool.

We had discussions here about blowing it up.

The decline was their to see in the lock-out with a cap coming and the Leafs stuffed with older overpaid players.

JFj was told he had to make the playoffs, he tried filling the team with yesterday's stars he could sign for cheap, Lindros, Allison, both got broken. Even Sundin was 34 years old.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
On which line did Nylander played yesterday?

2nd line centre, with Zach Hyman and Grabner most of the night, but in the 3rd period Babcock replaced Grabner with Kapanen to recreate the Marlies line, and they played well as a trio, just like they did in the AHL together.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
also, it's heartwarming to see that the young guys aren't afraid to drive to the net or stand in front of it.

Agreed.

They're willing to take risks, and make mistakes. Very good sign. A sign of confidence in their own abilities, and confidence in them by coaching.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Saw Laich's interview, and I have to say I'm glad we got him. Whatever the on ice product, he's so well spoken, has a great attitude, I think he's a good veteran presence for all the rookies

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Future is bright, Kids played well.

We should keep in mind, Nylander and Kapanen are teenagers, the other 3 are probably near their ceilings. Hyman will be 24 this year, Soshnikov 23 in October, Carrick 22 in April.

I didn't think any of them looked out of place.

van Riemsdyk, Kadri, Bozak, Machalek, Komarov, Laich interspersed within the line-up should help avoid the Oilers disaster.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
We should keep in mind, Nylander and Kapanen are teenagers, the other 3 are probably near their ceilings. Hyman will be 24 this year, Soshnikov 23 in October, Carrick 22 in April.

I didn't think any of them looked out of place.

van Riemsdyk, Kadri, Bozak, Machalek, Komarov, Laich interspersed within the line-up should help avoid the Oilers disaster.

You still have to allow for an adjustment period though. Look at Komarov in his first Leaf season vs. this year.

Also, it's a misleading statement to say "Soshnikov will be 23 in October". That's 6 and a half months away..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You still have to allow for an adjustment period though. Look at Komarov in his first Leaf season vs. this year.

Also, it's a misleading statement to say "Soshnikov will be 23 in October". That's 6 and a half months away..

Oh, I agree they have to adjust to the NHL, but that will likely balance out the excitement of getting the chance.

They should get better, but the teenagers should get much better.

He'll be 23 for most of next season, other than a few games, he isn't a kid, he's a young adult.

This season is about getting to the end of it, next season is when it gets real again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The decline was their to see in the lock-out with a cap coming and the Leafs stuffed with older overpaid players.

JFj was told he had to make the playoffs, he tried filling the team with yesterday's stars he could sign for cheap, Lindros, Allison, both got broken. Even Sundin was 34 years old.

The biggest advantage of "blow it up" option was the CBA free buyout option of as many players as you wanted without any cap hit. With 1/2 the league without contracts you could scorch the earth and begin from scratch.

Leafs heading into the lockout with one of the oldest most expensive team in the NHL and a cap system works best with young, inexpensive talent with a future ahead, and not aging expensive vets in sharp decline.

As you say the writing was on the wall that "blow it up" seemed like the logical plan of attack. But that comes with sacrifices that the Teachers Pension Plan was not willing to undertake.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Its crazy how many players have attempted to move from wing to centre and fail miserably, or even play centre in junior and get moved to wing. Yet Nylander (drafted as a winger) has transitioned so seamlessly to centre. Kid is an exceptional all around player. Solid on his feet, effortless stride, effortlessly handles the puck with his head up.

He went 53% at the faceoff dot ta boot.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

The second thing that people miss in addition to the age was literally the rulebook was re-written. We had a team specifically built for clutch and grab that was full of old guys and the new rules outlawed that and favoured a speed and skill game.

We were screwed on two fronts.

Funny thing is, for a while Toronto had that speed and skill team but got crushed in playoffs because clutch and grab was allowed. When they finally built a solid clutch and grab team, that was outlawed and the league went to where Toronto already was.

I think my biggest hope is that we find a way to get ahead of where the game is going rather than always trying to play catch up and arriving too late.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Rielly and Nylander both missed two grade A scoring chances that could have given us the unwanted 2 points. The Leafs had some fantastic pressure in the final minute and looked poised to get one more great look until Jake Gardiner made a half spin slap pass to Nylander from the high slot that basically ruined it.

I was at the game, there were different points through out the game were the Leafs young lines dominated possession in Tampa's end....looked like we had a PP at times. Our D is still really questionable though. At this point, i would rather give Cowen a shot than put Marincin out there....just to many giveaways and poor defensive plays by him.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have to say, that Holland chance he messed up when he had the open net made me want to slam a cartoon mallet over his head. The Leafs have enough trouble scoring as it is, wasting chances like that is facepalm worthy.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I have to say, that Holland chance he messed up when he had the open net made me want to slam a cartoon mallet over his head.

That was appalling... he had a gaping cage and stickhandled for a good two seconds to allow Vasilevskiy to get over. I have no idea what he was thinking. Then again, he may well have saved us from getting a point or two...

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I have to say, that Holland chance he messed up when he had the open net made me want to slam a cartoon mallet over his head. The Leafs have enough trouble scoring as it is, wasting chances like that is facepalm worthy.

Thank god for incoming skill.... eventually, those missed chances will become fewer and fewer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad