Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
At this point, who really will know which of Aaltonen, Lindholm or Goat can take that 4th C role next year. It is open for them, and the good thing, is likely one will be good enough. It's a big off season for all of them, as the spot is open for them.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Hence, them playing in the top six. You are talking about the bottom six, and really only two of would be rookies any ways. Neither Kapanen nor Gauthier are rookies. Johnsson took Komarov's job out from under him, so to call him a rookie is a bit of a misnomer if he can knock a guy who was playing on the second line off the team. That leaves 2.
Can you honestly look at that bottom six and think that it would be a good idea to run that many rookies?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So? Still rookies.

Do you really have no confidence that Johnsson and Kapanen can handle 3rd line minutes? Think Babs does. And then that leaves Grundstrom as 4th line W, a player who Babs loved in the last training camp. Is a rookie on 4th line more scary than a rookie in top 6?

Really the only issue with the roster you quoted is having Aaltonen & Goat as the bottom 6 centres, I'm only confident in projecting 1 of them being good enough for 4th line C (would like for Babs to let them battle it out for it this season). But that can be solved with having Nylander as the 3C
Johnsson, Kapanen and Grundstrom haven’t even made the team yet. But Kapanen shouldn’t have a problem being on the opening night roster. All the others will battle it out for spots. Most probably sent back down.

Did Babcock come out and say that grundstrom and Johnsson will be on the 3rd line to start the year? I missed it.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Hence, them playing in the top six. You are talking about the bottom six, and really only two of would be rookies any ways. Neither Kapanen nor Gauthier are rookies. Johnsson took Komarov's job out from under him, so to call him a rookie is a bit of a misnomer if he can knock a guy who was playing on the second line off the team. That leaves 2 who have shown at this point they are too good for the AHL.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Can you honestly look at that bottom six and think that it would be a good idea to run that many rookies?

We can expect better two-say play than the departing and cast off players than we've put there in the last couple years, yes (and most of them aren't rookies anyways and have more NHL experience then most of the top six who've dominated the league for the past 2 years when they started). We've seen more than a few GUD PROS stumble in our bottom six while unable to keep up with our yound speedsters, why not try our best young AHL players who can keep up with team speed?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Johnsson, Kapanen and Grundstrom haven’t even made the team yet. But Kapanen shouldn’t have a problem being on the opening night roster. All the others will battle it out for spots. Most probably sent back down.

Did Babcock come out and say that grundstrom and Johnsson will be on the 3rd line to start the year? I missed it.
Kapanen has 100% made the roster, why do you think he isn't with the Marlies? And Babcock is in love with Johnsson's play, no way he isn't on the team next season. And obviously all spots will only be earned once they've had training camp but Grundstrom is one of the more likely options to make the team based on Babcock liking him last year and him having a playstyle that would fit great both on this team and in the bottom 6.

Let's see your next year's roster then.

And lmao did Babcock come out and say Reilly's our #1D next year, Dermott's on the roster, Andersen's our goalie, Marner will play wing, Matthews is #1C? No but does that mean it won't happen?

Also, I really have no worries about any of the kids replacing JVR & Bozak, their defensive game literally couldn't be worse than those 2.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Kapanen has 100% made the roster, why do you think he isn't with the Marlies? And Babcock is in love with Johnsson's play, no way he isn't on the team next season. And obviously all spots will only be earned once they've had training camp but Grundstrom is one of the more likely options to make the team based on Babcock liking him last year and him having a playstyle that would fit great both on this team and in the bottom 6.

Let's see your next year's roster then.

And lmao did Babcock come out and say Reilly's our #1D next year, Dermott's on the roster, Andersen's our goalie, Marner will play wing, Matthews is #1C? No but does that mean it won't happen?

Also, I really have no worries about any of the kids replacing JVR & Bozak, their defensive game literally couldn't be worse than those 2.
Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion and you have expressed it.

Not going to do a roster because things will change over the summer.

I feel it’s a bad idea to throw 6 rookies into a lineup that is already so young. Including Dermott.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Hyman Matthews Marner
Jvr Nylander Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Brown
Johnsson Aaltonen Grundstrom
Gauthier Leivo

Rielly Dermott
Gardiner Hainsey
Borgmon Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

Keep building through our reserve list

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion and you have expressed it.

Not going to do a roster because things will change over the summer.

I feel it’s a bad idea to throw 6 rookies into a lineup that is already so young. Including Dermott.
Yeah I just see it as the non-rookies that the rookies are replacing really weren't even that impactful in what vets were supposed to offer. Did JVR, Moore, Komarov & Bozak have: full effort every game? Consistent results? A 2 way game that should be role-modelled? A never give up attitude? Really none of them check those boxes for me. All 1 way players that were really low in the ranks of effort level over the season.

Like my opinion on veterans is that there's good vets to learn from like Marleau, and then bad vets that you can't say you're losing anything from switching in a rookie for them. I don't think we're losing much good vets.

And really have much teams actually tried a full/majority youth line up? Fear of the unknown is weak for me. Maybe it'll actually give everyone energy to feed off of and increase the team's consistent effort levels.

But yeah it is kinda pointless to make line combos rn before the offseason has started

Reactions: Zizzzzy

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah I just see it as the non-rookies that the rookies are replacing really weren't even that impactful in what vets were supposed to offer. Did JVR, Moore, Komarov & Bozak have: full effort every game? Consistent results? A 2 way game that should be role-modelled? A never give up attitude? Really none of them check those boxes for me. All 1 way players that were really low in the ranks of effort level over the season.

Like my opinion on veterans is that there's good vets to learn from like Marleau, and then bad vets that you can't say you're losing anything from switching in a rookie for them. I don't think we're losing much good vets.

And really have much teams actually tried a full/majority youth line up? Fear of the unknown is weak for me. Maybe it'll actually give everyone energy to feed off of and increase the team's consistent effort levels.

But yeah it is kinda pointless to make line combos rn before the offseason has started

Marleau doesn't meet the criteria you've judged the other vets on either. He's definitely been invisible during the regular season at times.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Marleau doesn't meet the criteria you've judged the other vets on either. He's definitely been invisible during the regular season at times.
Yeah, true. Has had some invisible stretches. I guess I give him more leeway since he does have a 2 way game to be modelled when he is on, and his leadership has been recognized unlike most of the players I listed as bad vets. Komarov has recognized leadership but just think his game has lost way too much and put in some of the worst efforts this season to be included as a good vet.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah, true. Has had some invisible stretches. I guess I give him more leeway since he does have a 2 way game to be modelled when he is on, and his leadership has been recognized unlike most of the players I listed as bad vets. Komarov has recognized leadership but just think his game has lost way too much and put in some of the worst efforts this season to be included as a good vet.

I think we hold players to really high standard some times, we all have bad stretches at work why wouldn't they? He definitely has more proven leadership but there were times I looked at the amount of goals he scored this year and I seriously wondered when did that happen.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Tavares Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Grundstrom ? Kapanen

Rielly Dermott
Gardiner Hainsey
Rosen Zaitsev

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-(Altonnen/Lindholm/Goat)-Johnson

Reilly-(traded for dman)
Dermott-Hainsey
Zaitsev-Lljegren

Andersen
McBackup

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Hard to really nail anything down until after Jul 1. Too many question marks with bubble players like Leivo (protect him, won't trade him, won't play him), Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Lindholm, and I suppose Martin.

re: Tavares - I'd rather pass on him and improve the D, and then sign some complimentary parts (Riley Nash, Letestu, Beagle, Derek Ryan). Carlson seems like exactly the Dman the Leafs need. If they can add him, and you have Borgman ready to step in, Liljegren a year later, plus with Dermott - then you can reduce Hainsey's minutes, and still insert Carrick when needed. This also reduces Gardiner's minutes, or makes him available as a pending UFA to move him.

Ideally isn't moving Gardiner for assets (picks (maybe #10?), young players, ???) now, better than the risk of him walking? Especially if you land Carlson?!?! Then maybe a smaller signing like Pateryn? Slim pickin's on D for UFA that fit the Leafs needs right now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If you look at who they are replacing, it's older players. Bozak, Komarov, Plekanec or Moore, JVR, Polak... so you might fill those spots with rookies from the Marlies, then you have to think there is a potential to take a step backward again. It is entirely possible we fight for a wild card spot again or (shudder) miss the playoffs again. You hope the current group steps up with another year of experience under their belt, more ice time for the Stars, and we don't skip a beat. But with players like Aaltenen, Lindholm, Johnsson having close to no NHL experience, I have a hard time believing Dubas doesn't sign a vet or two to bridge the gap again.

Reactions: Cams

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Vets he will sign. No one better then Tavares out there!!!

Tavares, Komarov and Cole would be 3 I would sign. Then trade Gardiner for another Dman which is more defensive.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-Lindholm-Johnson

Reilly- NEW DMAN
Dermott-Cole
Zaitsev-Hainsey

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
With Tavares:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner/Nylander
Brown/Hyman-Tavares-Marner/Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Brown/Hyman
Leivo

Rielly-*TRADE*
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman/Holl

Andersen
McElhinney/Sparks/Pickard

--------------------------------------------------

Without Tavares:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner
Brown/Hyman-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown/Hyman
Martin

Rielly-*TRADE*
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman/Holl

Andersen
McElhinney/Sparks/Pickard

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
At this point, who really will know which of Aaltonen, Lindholm or Goat can take that 4th C role next year. It is open for them, and the good thing, is likely one will be good enough. It's a big off season for all of them, as the spot is open for them.
Goat is done IMO, he's straight up sucked every time he's been called up, and Aaltonen and Lindholm are both more skilled options. No more useless plugs on the 4th line!!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Goat is done IMO, he's straight up sucked every time he's been called up, and Aaltonen and Lindholm are both more skilled options. No more useless plugs on the 4th line!!
Dubas has seen Gauthier the most these past years. We'll really see what he thinks of him this upcoming season and where he should be. If there's one thing that's in Gauthier's favor is that Dubas doesn't give up easily on players if he sees you put in the work.

It's still quite an uphill battle for Gauthier but maybe he beats out the other players vying for that lower center spot.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad