Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Marleau Matthews Marner
Neal (5.75 aav x 5y) Kadri Brown
Hymen Nylander(6x6) Johnsson
Grundstrom Aaltonen Kapanen
Lindholm Martin

Reilly Ellis (Carrick, Bracco to Nas)
Dermott Zaitzev
Hainsey Ozzy(new Russian whose name I haven't learn to spell yet)
Holl

Anderssen
Mcbackup
I like Ellis as an option and it makes sense due to him needing a raise soon and Nashville having Fabbro, but Carrick+Bracco doesn't even return Ellis' beard.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-XXX-Brown
XXX-Aaltonen/Lindholm-Kapanen

Rielly-XXX
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen-Carrick/Ozhiganov

Anderson
Sparks

Assumes:

1) We sell off Gardiner this summer before he enters his final year on his current contract
2) We sign or trade for a top 4 RHD
3) We sign or trade for a 3rd line C (maybe even Bozak re-signed, though I think we'd prefer a more defensive oriented player)
4) We sell high on McBackup (not that he'd have a ton of value, but probably still get a mid/late rounder)
5) We generally seem to have signed a lot of depth up front, so I expect we'll add some guy in free agency to compete for the 4th line. Quite possibly we'd do the same on the bottom pairing for D, though we do have four guys fighting for spots as it is.

I think Liljegren + Grundstrom + Engvall + etc are on the Marlies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Marleau Matthews Marner
Lindholm Martin

Dermott Zaitzev
Holl

Anderssen
Mcbackup

Neal would be a great add. Just not sure how the $$$ situation would look with Marner and Matthews due/kicking in after this coming season. Would be nice though.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
I like Ellis as an option and it makes sense due to him needing a raise soon and Nashville having Fabbro, but Carrick+Bracco doesn't even return Ellis' beard.

Don't know how true that would be. I like Ellis but I wouldn't pay the moon for him. Carrick is still young, cheaper and brings a bit of everything and Bracco is a legit good prospect. Saves them some cap as well which holds some value as well. If an add is required it can't be much more. Ellis isn't some dominant force. He is good and reliable.

HC7

May 2, 2018
My

My point was i don't see how good transition game makes you offensive. A good defensive D should be able to get the puck out of the zone. Moving the puck well doesn't make you offensive. Scoring points does. I think part of what makes defensive D great is their ability to shut down, suppress shots, and get it out of the zone safely with a good first pass or even skate it to safety. That's good defence. Not good offense. I think its being misread that im calling defensive dman guys who are huge and hit and cross check and slapshot it off the glass and out. Thats not at all what im saying

So when you say "defensive" you literally mean you want guys that do everything except score points. Good to know.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Don't know how true that would be. I like Ellis but I wouldn't pay the moon for him. Carrick is still young, cheaper and brings a bit of everything and Bracco is a legit good prospect. Saves them some cap as well which holds some value as well. If an add is required it can't be much more. Ellis isn't some dominant force. He is good and reliable.
It’s very true. Every other team would beat that offer very easily.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Carrick and Bracco for Ellis lol

Would you guys rather have Carrick and Bracco or Liljegren?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau Matthews Marner
Lindholm Martin

Dermott Zaitzev
Holl

Anderssen
Mcbackup

Ellis sure if you can do it, otherwise why do people want to pay BIG cap in an area where we are already strongest? Might as well sign another #1 goalie while we're at it.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
It makes sense for the preds to be moving Subban since him leaving would allow them to resign Ellis and thier other D-men when their current contracts end. Subban has a massive cap hit however and I think we would have to deal Gardiner to make it work. I also don't think the Preds would be looking for the moon for Subban either because they don't really have much leverage.

upload_2018-5-27_16-35-26.png

Last edited:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
So when you say "defensive" you literally mean you want guys that do everything except score points. Good to know.
So what is "defensive" to you then? If you're a defensive defenceman you're a useless ogre that doesnt know how to transition or pass or skate? You just slap the puck off the boards and hit people??? My mistake. I didnt realize. I would never want a stay at home D on my team then! I retract asking for a couple. I thought part of playing defense was being good at keeping the puck away from your own net. Points are a bonus from your backend, not a priority (teams have 12 forwards last i checked). Keep the puck out of our own end. Dont allow the most shots in the league year after year. Didn't realize i was asking for so much :/ clearly us allowing more shots that 95% of the league year after year is a great strategy, we shouldn't make any changes

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It makes sense for the preds to be moving Subban since him leaving would allow them to resign Ellis and thier other D-men when their current contracts end. Subban has a massive cap hit however and I think we would have to deal Gardiner to make it work. I also don't think the Preds would be looking for the moon for Subban either because they don't really have much leverage.

View attachment 122661

Why are you pencilling the players with the worst faceoff percentages on our team to play the PK?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Why are you pencilling the players with the worst faceoff percentages on our team to play the PK?
Because Zach and Uncle Leo were our primary PK FO guys? I don't think it makes a ton of difference. We don't exactly have a defensive stalwart at C. Looking at my lineup though, there is room for us to bring back uncle Leo if he wants to play 4C/W role.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m pretty sure babs didn’t want subban for the Olympics. And that’s when the whole left /right handed D started.

I would take him though for sure.

Kadri4Cap

May 28, 2018
What I want more than anything for this team, lets be real about Tavares, with Barzal it aint happening.

Marner-Mathews-Nylander
Kapanen-Kadri-Marleau
Hyman-Backlund-Brown
Johnson-Aaltonen-Leivo

Reilly-Carlson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
You don't trade Bracco period. He has more skill in his left pinky than Ellis has in his entire body. Another Ellis type player is NOT what Leafs need. We have those kinda dmen maybe not as good but we have that type. We need 2 big bodies who can skate and play mean defensively.

Reactions: Boutette

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
In 3 years Marner Matthews and Bracco will be the core of the forwards. Nylander will get traded as part of a package for a great defensive dmen who is young. By the way Bracco plays amazing with Matthews. When you eventually see you too will be shocked. I also think Marner who is Bracco 2.0 would do close to same thing. Both those kids have outrageous skill. Bracco a little smaller version. He will take a little more time.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
In 3 years Marner Matthews and Bracco will be the core of the forwards. Nylander will get traded as part of a package for a great defensive dmen who is young. By the way Bracco plays amazing with Matthews. When you eventually see you too will be shocked. I also think Marner who is Bracco 2.0 would do close to same thing. Both those kids have outrageous skill. Bracco a little smaller version. He will take a little more time.

Given what you are talking about, it would seem that Marner will be more expendable than Nylander, especially should Nylander be a success at center going forwards. Adding the possibilities of Brooks (who was more a success on the wing than at center), Engvall etc. the team in future is more in need down the middle, and with Marner's breakout this year he may be more likely to be able to be traded for a young top line center without creating a hole if Bracco can step in and take his place. We don't have a potential 70pt center to take the place of a Nylander at center coming up the pike, do we?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Given what you are talking about, it would seem that Marner will be more expendable than Nylander, especially should Nylander be a success at center going forwards. Adding the possibilities of Brooks (who was more a success on the wing than at center), Engvall etc. the team in future is more in need down the middle, and with Marner's breakout this year he may be more likely to be able to be traded for a young top line center without creating a hole if Bracco can step in and take his place. We don't have a potential 70pt center to take the place of a Nylander at center coming up the pike, do we?
Nylander is not a 70 pt center. He will if he is a center be playing 3rd line center. I however do not see him as a center as he lacks the ability and desire to play in the dirty areas of the ice something centers must do to play in the NHL.

You simply do not trade Marner as he is a franchise player if you are moving anyone of our young players it is Nylander.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nylander is not a 70 pt center. He will if he is a center be playing 3rd line center. I however do not see him as a center as he lacks the ability and desire to play in the dirty areas of the ice something centers must do to play in the NHL.

You simply do not trade Marner as he is a franchise player if you are moving anyone of our young players it is Nylander.

You do trade him if you are getting back a franchise defenceman. I didn't day Nylander is a 70pt. center, but he could be. And if he does and Bracco becomes a player who can accomplish 75% of what Marner does (which is also possible and also likely at a fraction of the cap cost) then the team should take a hard look at what its needs are and how to solve them. If its best for the team, then you pull the trigger and make the deal.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm looking forward to seeing Bracco having a bigger role next year for the Marlies. His first season wasn't too bad but he was lower in the lineup due to the depth right? I'm sure he's learned a lot and there's no denying that he's another very skilled forward for a side we're weak on if Nylander goes to center. He and Engvall should tear up the AHL next season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing Bracco having a bigger role next year for the Marlies. His first season wasn't too bad but he was lower in the lineup due to the depth right? I'm sure he's learned a lot and there's no denying that he's another very skilled forward for a side we're weak on if Nylander goes to center. He and Engvall should tear up the AHL next season.

He played mostly on the 4th line and had his defensive game worked on. However, every time he was promoted his playmaking came to the fore, and more than once Keefe commented that it was 'elite'. Since the team is shedding a bunch of forwards both going UFA or being promoted, he should get a chance next year to pull a Johnsson like progression and as long as he has finishers on his line, should do at least as well as Brooks did when he was promoted to play with Smith and Mueller (PPG).

Reactions: Liminality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad