Post-Game Talk: Leafs Kept Calm, Proved Corsi Wrong & Still #1 in the Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You're probably right.

Dion had a great game last night.. if he keeps this up all year and the Leafs finish in the top 4 of the East I don't know how we're going to justify not giving him a slight raise.

It's bad business to give someone a raise when they are already overpaid.

Far as i'm concerned, a cap hit making him the 15th ish highest Dman in the league is more appropriate.

This contract is 6 years old and he is still top 10 cap hit among all D, it just shows how bad that deal was ,all things considered.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hopefully Reimer can stay patient for a couple more games. With Edmonton's offense, Bernier's rebound control and puck handling can be a huge asset and given his great record against the Wild, I would hope he gets the start for that game as well. Give Reimer a couple of games after that.

Not a fan of shoehorning someone into the line up just for the sake of it.

I cheer for the Jersey for the most part, not the bodies that fill it.

The coach should always make the call on the basis for whats best for the team.

BayStreetBullies*

and man, if Phaneuf had got beat as bad as Weber got beat on our first goal, we'd never hear the end of how bad Phaneuf was and how he has to be traded.

Yeah, and apparently now it's a problem that he's playing well in a contract year. :laugh:

Before he was considered overrated and overpaid by some, but when he plays well somehow it's only for the money. :shakehead

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
See the thing is I wouldn't be jumping up and down just yet bragging about how we have cured our poor transition game. Lets keep in Nashville has no offensive bite to them, nor are they overly speedy so really it wasn't a challenge, and even then.... there was a significant stretch where they hemmed us in our own end for a large portion of the 2nd, albeit we were solid at puckmovent in the 1st and 3rd.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nice to win always but let's not get carried away here. It was a pretty close game overall and it was a very poor start for the Leafs, they could hardly even complete a pass in the first period. We have yet to play one complete game this year so pretty lucky to be 4-1.

On the other hand, nice to see the young guys play well last night and Rielly looks like the best Leaf D prospect since ... since ... well, maybe since Nylund.

:)

Anyhow, I'm just saying. So far so good but let's not kid ourselves saying they have played great so far this season.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Anyhow, I'm just saying. So far so good but let's not kid ourselves saying they have played great so far this season.[/QUOTE]

Goaltending wise we've been stellar, defenisvely (in our end) not bad, and our top players are beginning to shine. That being said our transition game reeks, we're still NOT shooting nearly enough, and some guys aren't anywhere near where they should be (looking at you Kadri and Jake Gardiner).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Far as i'm concerned, a cap hit making him the 15th ish highest Dman in the league is more appropriate.

This contract is 6 years old and he is still top 10 cap hit among all D, it just shows how bad that deal was ,all things considered.

When you're a top-10 defenseman, you get paid like a top-10 defenseman.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Anyhow, I'm just saying. So far so good but let's not kid ourselves saying they have played great so far this season.

It's nice to be so stacked with talent that we win even when we don't play great.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I find it great that we're 4-1 while we're shaking off the rust.

I think Kessel is going to explode midseason this year. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him put up 90-95 points.

Last year he had a slow start (despite ringing the post like 10 times) and still managed to put up 52 points (88 point pace).

This year with JvR improving, I can see JvR putting up 60-65 with 25-30 goals, Kessel putting up 35/40-55

Tyler Biggs*

Hope Cody is alright. He's such a smart player. Good effort last night! Bernier was excellent.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
and man, if Phaneuf had got beat as bad as Weber got beat on our first goal, we'd never hear the end of how bad Phaneuf was and how he has to be traded.

True but in a hockey backwater like Nashville, the fans probably don't know, if Weber is good or bad and the Media know even less.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I find it great that we're 4-1 while we're shaking off the rust.

I think Kessel is going to explode midseason this year. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him put up 90-95 points.

Last year he had a slow start (despite ringing the post like 10 times) and still managed to put up 52 points (88 point pace).

This year with JvR improving, I can see JvR putting up 60-65 with 25-30 goals, Kessel putting up 35/40-55

Yup! I remember that "slow start", he was playing very well indeed, just kept hitting posts. My biggest hope this season re. Kessel is that Carlyle at some point tries a line of Kessel, Lupul and Kadri.

Tyler Biggs*

Best retribution for that nasty play: Leafs scored twice on the PP and finished off any hope the Preds may have had. Fisher's stupidity cost his team the game. Best revenge on a play like that: 2 pts. Good news is it sounds like Franson will be alright.

Carlyle's comment makes me think it isn't something too serious. Hope Cody's ok either way. On another note, BAM! BERNIER! What an amazing goalie...go Leafs!

Carlyle shows class by putting pluggers to finish off the PP.

Great game Leafs.

Last edited by a moderator:

BayStreetBullies*

Except Phaneuf is not overpaid, so there's that.

So pay him less than what he's currently making? And this is why the opinions of armchair GMs are to be taken with the usual grain of salt.

No, it just shows that first-pairing defencemen like Phaneuf don't grow on trees despite what you want to believe. As some one else said, he's a top-10 D-man, he'll get paid like a top 10 D-man.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Yup! I remember that "slow start", he was playing very well indeed, just kept hitting posts. My biggest hope this season re. Kessel is that Carlyle at some point tries a line of Kessel, Lupul and Kadri.

He did last night for a shift or two.

He also had Kadri centering JVR and Kessel on a shift or two during the Colorado game.

Tyler Biggs*

What? All the Montreal experts said it would be an easy win for the Preds. They said scores like 4-0 or 5-2. Could it be that they really don't know much about hockey? It sure would seem that way considering their predictions and reality.

So... who said that Kessel was overrated?

Your best players have to win games for you and that's what happened last night.

Great win Leafs! Bernier looking fantastic! GLG

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Dion makes 5.5m , do you think we should pay him 1.5 right? You're one of those people who think all players should get league minimum? :shakehead

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
What's your problem with Phaneuf?

I think what happens is people here talk so much crap about a guy from another team that when we acquire them, it becomes hard for them to completely flip and support the guy. The rest were often influenced by the first group and base decisions of reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad