Proposal: Leafs - Jackets

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
TO CLB: Nylander + Reilly + Engvall

TO TOR: Jones + Jenner + Foudy

Leafs give up offensive skill for size and 2-way play. Nylander could centre Laine. Leafs get their rock on defence in Jones.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'd like to see the Leafs go all in for Jones, but not at the expense of our win-now core...

Amirov/Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Dermott + multiple picks is what I would be looking to move... which may mean a 3rd team would need to be involved

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd like to see the Leafs go all in for Jones, but not at the expense of of our win-now core...

Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Dermott + multiple picks is what I would be looking to move... which may mean a 3rd team would need to be involved

And Jones is win-tomorrow core?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Would only trade seth for a serious 1C...no, contract length doesn't matter...if you trade for seth, you are sending a 1C or you are not getting seth

Last edited:
Reactions: Groo

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I'd like to see the Leafs go all in for Jones, but not at the expense of our win-now core...

Amirov/Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Dermott + multiple picks is what I would be looking to move... which may mean a 3rd team would need to be involved

How would they possibly afford that? They won’t even be able to afford Rielly as is.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

And why would the Jackets trade a Young #1D for a bunch of maybes?

Reactions: bh53 and Fro

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Jones to the Leafs has passed, at the time the only option I would have considered was Jones+PLD for Matthews..............boy am I ever glad that didn't happen. I can remember being roasted with comments like Jones alone is worth more than Matthews lol

Reactions: WildWolfdog

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
TO CLB: Nylander + Reilly + Engvall

TO TOR: Jones + Jenner + Foudy

Leafs give up offensive skill for size and 2-way play. Nylander could centre Laine. Leafs get their rock on defence in Jones.
I’d counter this way as Columbus. Engvall is out. Sandin and Robertson are in. Then it’s a deal I do.

it’s a win now all chips in for Toronto type deal.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews or don’t call us
Jones isn't bringing back either Matthews or Marner from the leafs.

He is having a terrible year and has 1 year left on his deal after this. His value is no where close to what jacket fans would want. They have to hold on and hope he rebounds and signs long term. He is not a player the leafs would overpay for

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs are a much better defensive team this season. Top 10 in GA in the best offensive division despite their goaltenders rocking a sub .900 sv% combined. Right now they are in need of a top 6 winger. After this deal, the Leafs have exactly 4 legit top 6 players (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hyman). I argue that the improvement Jones brings doesn't justify further downgrading offensive depth.

Matthews or don’t call us

No disrespect I wouldn't move Matthews for your entire organization. He is a special talent. You look at how big of an impact Laine has had and then realize Matthews is many times a better player.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Leafs are a much better defensive team this season. Top 10 in GA in the best offensive division despite their goaltenders rocking a sub .900 sv% combined. Right now they are in need of a top 6 winger. After this deal, the Leafs have exactly 4 legit top 6 players (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Hyman). I argue that the improvement Jones brings doesn't justify further downgrading offensive depth.

No disrespect I wouldn't move Matthews for your entire organization. He is a special talent. You look at how big of an impact Laine has had and then realize Matthews is many times a better player.

No disrespect taken from this CBJ fan...seth hasn't had a great start to the year, but I'm not moving him for less than a confirmed 1C...we aren't looking for middle 6 quantity or futures

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
No disrespect taken from this CBJ fan...seth hasn't had a great start to the year, but I'm not moving him for less than a confirmed 1C...we aren't looking for middle 6 quantity or futures

Understood completely. This is why trades like this don't happen. Too hard to find something that makes sense. I wouldn't expect you to give up Jones unless it was improving your team. You guys have tons of quality depth.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I actually think we get a little worse short term. We are trading a #1D and a 1W for a (better) #1D and a 3C.

Value wise this is not horrendous but i still decline.

Columbus will ask for Matthews (woof) when his value is really somewhere between Marner and Nylander. i dont think a deal is to be made

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
One thing I've learned on this forum is the be very careful when making any kind of proposal for a defenceman on HFBoards. What they actually go is usually significantly less than what people ask for on here.

I would kill for a LD of Jones' quality, and would gladly give up a hefty package including Rielly, Amirov, etc. Jones, though....I have no idea how we would calculate his value. No contract, flat cap, and the fact that Columbus wants to make the playoffs all make me think nothing outside Marner or Matthews would get the convo going for most fans.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I’d counter this way as Columbus. Engvall is out. Sandin and Robertson are in. Then it’s a deal I do.

it’s a win now all chips in for Toronto type deal.
So Rielly, Nylander, Sandin and Robertson for a year and a half of a struggling Seth Jones...

At least we can always count on you for impartial comments lol....

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So Rielly, Nylander, Sandin and Robertson for a year and a half of a struggling Seth Jones...

At least we can always count on you for impartial comments lol....
i read it as scrap the deal and discuss a heavy futures package with Sandin and Robertson. not on top of Nylander and Rielly. i really hope im right lmao

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
i read it as scrap the deal and discuss a heavy futures package with Sandin and Robertson. not on top of Nylander and Rielly. i really hope im right lmao
They said they would counter as Columbus with Engvall out and Robertson/Sandin in so I dont think they were saying that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad