Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Islanders, Feb 27 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Are you suggesting putting a group together of Norway, Austria (etc.) and a group of Canada, US, Sweden? Wouldn't that just push the unbalanced matchups to the knockout rounds? I'd rather have balanced groups like we currently have and see the best teams move on to the knockout rounds. In my lifetime, we've seen a lot of countries start producing NHL players that traditionally haven't really had any (e.g. Norway, Austria, Switzerland). I'm hoping that continues and we get some more parity.

either way works for me - but on the women's side - you had the best 4 teams play against each other - and then you had the best of (not the strongest) play together, and every game was exciting and non-blow-outish. then when you got to the semifinals - each game was close again (and that was Canada/Switzerland, USA/Finland).

I don't think it would necessarily be unbalanced - I mean, no team got "blownout" in quarterfinals anyway that I can recall. but I mean - look at the attiude of most Canadians - it wasn't "oh, yay we beat Norway!" it was "WHY DIDN'T WE BLOW THEM OUT?!"

[it's very akin to the NHL and playing a team like Buffalo - it's because the other team even though they're not as good - does tend to play hard working].

either way is slightly flawed but it was just a suggestion :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah,

Lines were:

Smith-Bozak-Bodie
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClemment-Orr

As per Masters.

Gotta get back on the horse here, hope we keep it going. No JT.

Thanks.

I'm guessing JVR, Kessel aren't back yet? Full practice tomorrow?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I wish they'd make Kulemin at centre a long-term experiment. He was playing unreal there with Raymond and Bodie. So many smart defensive plays up the middle and set-ups. Also did wonders on the break out because he could dictate the centre of the ice while in the defensive zone.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wish they'd make Kulemin at centre a long-term experiment. He was playing unreal there with Raymond and Bodie. So many smart defensive plays up the middle and set-ups. Also did wonders on the break out because he could dictate the centre of the ice while in the defensive zone.

Even the Russian coach tried him at center for a few shifts, he didn't look out of place at all.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Important stretch of games coming up

Must beat the NYI to keep pace with the Habs (who have 1 game in hand) .. If we can beat the Habs on Saturday too that will be a good step forward in jumping them in the standings

Next week are games against Columbus, the Rangers, and the Flyers .. Must win against Columbus to keep ahead of them in the wild card .. And wins against the Rangers and Flyers would be very helpful

Plus a Southern California roadtrip awaits the team after this, so padding some wins in these next 5 games might give them a cushion to work with against those tough West Conference teams

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah,

Lines were:

Smith-Bozak-Bodie
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClemment-Orr

As per Masters.

God I hope McLaren hits the waiver wire.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Can't wait to watch to this one.

The Olympics were great but I'd much rather watch Leafs games at this point, especially if we continue where we left off before the break. Here's to hoping that Phil and JVR come back playing as strong as they were for team USA.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah not surprised they got the day off, there's no point in forcing them to practice, they've had more practice in the last two weeks than the rest of the damn team lol.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Have a feeling that Phil and JVR will be flat...need Kadri and Lupul to have a strong game.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Yeah,

Lines were:

Smith-Bozak-Bodie
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClemment-Orr

As per Masters.

Thanks.

I'm guessing JVR, Kessel aren't back yet? Full practice tomorrow?

Actually Randy is rolling with these lines on Thursday. I especially like our first line :sarcasm:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Practice notes

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 12m

Bolland wouldn't tip his hand regarding a return on Thursday only to say that he is progressing.

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 14m

No injury concern for JVR says Carlyle. He's fine. JVR and Kessel could get a lot of practice days to recover from Olympics.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 14m

Sounds like Kessel and JVR will get a couple days off. May not join Leafs fully until Thursday's game in Long Island.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 17m

Carlyle says he wants his players to look at how Canada won in Sochi and realize that "defence does win."

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thought Carlyle might give Kessel and JVR some time to rest up .. Need them fresh for the stretch run

I feel like the last two weeks were important to us Leaf fans too ;) We got a break from stressing out about the Leafs just making the playoffs to enjoy some excellent Team Canada goodness

I'm refreshed and ready to get all amped up cheering for a Leaf playoff run :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is the one that should resonate the greatest among the Leafs from this Olympic event.

Hopefully the team was paying attention and watching. Carlyle certainly appears to have.

Hasn't he been saying this all year long? If the players bought into this they could go places but so far there hasn't been a lot of interest in playing D it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad