Post-Game Talk: Leafs hear Pings all night lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's weird that hitting a goal post isn't a shot on goal, when it's literally ON the goal. If it was the Leafs would have had 97 shots on goal tonight. Frustrating night. Benoit has to stay in the lineup. Still not sold on Sammy. I appreciate Marner but we miss him more than I expected.
Leafs dominated the Flyers, except were stopped by posts and Flyers willingness to block shots and of course the Leafs average goaltending.

Marner has the most blockable shot on the team and he isn't going to stop shots for Sammy.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
First goal ... less than a minute in game
Second goal ... less than a minute into 2nd. period

Just not ready, and not enough desire to win the battles.

Morgan Rielly and TJ Brodie completely self destruct with very little pressure against them. Seriously, not exaggerating, but AHL defenders could have done a better job. A complete disaster pairing that surprises no one. Again, honest evaluation, they stink together.
Keefe should have been fired at some point this season.. might be the last chance with Tavares reasonably within his prime. It's clear that Keefe is incapable of leading these guys. 90% of the time they lose the work ethic and discipline parts of games, which are critical in playoffs.

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
First goal ... less than a minute in game
Second goal ... less than a minute into 2nd. period

Just not ready, and not enough desire to win the battles.

Morgan Rielly and TJ Brodie completely self destruct with very little pressure against them. Seriously, not exaggerating, but AHL defenders could have done a better job. A complete disaster pairing that surprises no one. Again, honest evaluation, they stink together.
Real talk is... they're not so hot apart either.. both have been atrocious lately, either way.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Brodie can't work with Rielly or on the right side at all, whatever chemistry he had with Liljegren has been lost, and McCabe works better with Benoit. Where exactly does that leave TJ?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Ya that Brodie-Reilly pair had a rough night. I'm usually one to take the positives from a game but I didn't like this one. Way too many mistakes, bad ones, defensively and it's a credit to really how good they are offensively that it wound up close. That was a deserved loss. Not putting it on Sammy either, hung out to dry.

They spent all game over-playing feeding AM, didn't like that either. It all needs to get dumbed-down a level from that game and just play. It looked like too many playoff games that we lose, really what it reminded me of.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It's weird that hitting a goal post isn't a shot on goal, when it's literally ON the goal. If it was the Leafs would have had 97 shots on goal tonight. Frustrating night. Benoit has to stay in the lineup. Still not sold on Sammy. I appreciate Marner but we miss him more than I expected.
If it was a shot on goal that the goalie didn't stop it would be a goal. A hit post missed the net. Think literally "net". A post isn't a part of it, it's the 4*6 foot part inside the posts.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs lose to a team that stinks.

Is anyone surprised? It's just the Leafs doing what the Leafs do best. Playing down to the opponent is the most Leafy thing in the world.

I see we've already chalked this one up to bad luck.

Looks like the refs didn't need to get involved. The team did a good enough job on their own. Maybe they should focus more on winning than on getting Matthews to seventy.

The team is struggling down the stretch and needs to be reinvigorated.

This is where a good coach shows his worth. Too bad the Leafs have Keefe. That should change soon.

If they can't beat a cruddy team like Philly in the regular season I fail to see why anyone should think they'll beat a thoroughbred like Florida in the playoffs.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
It’s a shame that a iconic premier franchise like the maple leafs, the most powerful, profitable and lucrative in the nhl, can’t even bother to hire NHL level coaches. I mean the Leafs/MLSE literally print money, I mean they are the most popular NHL team located in the biggest city of a hockey mad nation. Expansion franchises can hire good coaches. Sunbelt teams can hire good coaches Poorer Franchises than us can hire good coaches. But the mighty and wealthy maple leafs can’t?
good gms and presidents too.

leafs are horribad; so lazy, so badly coached, so badly presidented.

look at leafs front office- their captain- mediocrity.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We can talk about luck and what we deserved until we're blue in the face but this team just doesn't look right

We still don't know who pairs best with who and how the forward group should look, we also look lethargic and disinterested for large swaths of games

Special teams are a disaster and we're not sure who our game one starting goaltender is yet

I'd expect this 10 games into the season, but 60 games in? Poor even by our standards

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
This scrambling at the end to tie the game is intense edge of your seat hockey… however, please stop doing that.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This scrambling at the end to tie the game is intense edge of your seat hockey… however, please stop doing that.
But it isn’t edge of the seat…..for the most part it’s boring perimeter play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs lose to a team that stinks.

Is anyone surprised? It's just the Leafs doing what the Leafs do best. Playing down to the opponent is the most Leafy thing in the world.

I see we've already chalked this one up to bad luck.

Looks like the refs didn't need to get involved. The team did a good enough job on their own. Maybe they should focus more on winning than on getting Matthews to seventy.

The team is struggling down the stretch and needs to be reinvigorated.

This is where a good coach shows his worth. Too bad the Leafs have Keefe. That should change soon.

If they can't beat a cruddy team like Philly in the regular season I fail to see why anyone should think they'll beat a thoroughbred like Florida in the playoffs.
In the league standings the Leafs are 10th and the Flyers re 15th. Are they really much better or are they closer to equals? For reference,the Preds are 11th and TB is 13th and we know they’re on par with those teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad