Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed Rich Clune to an NHL contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So they gave away prospects for free to open up roster spots that they eventually used on guys like Campbell and Clune after they realized there was no real productive use for that many open roster spots? what an awful attempt at strategy that was.

Or they anticipate an influx of new prospects by the end of this season's trade deadline.

Or they felt that all of them were busts and they'd rather use those contract slots over guys drafted from 2014 onwards.

I really gwant t the sense that Hunter and Shanahan were thoroughly under impressed with the team's past draft performances.

Tyler Biggs*

For all you hating on this, I think it's a great move and here's why: Babs obviously wasn't happy with us getting pushed around, and Clune will definitely help with that. What's more, despite being a 'grinder', Clune has been on a tear with the Marlies and is scoring on a regular basis. He is a hard worker and has battled hard through his whole career. This is the type of atmosphere the coaching staff wants to create in the Leafs dressing room. Also, at 28, it's not like the team is subjecting any of our young players to getting crushed night in and night out. Finally, being 28 if he happens to have a break out year (albeit unlikely), we could parlay him for picks at the deadline.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
For all you hating on this, I think it's a great move and here's why: Babs obviously wasn't happy with us getting pushed around, and Clune will definitely help with that. What's more, despite being a 'grinder', Clune has been on a tear with the Marlies and is scoring on a regular basis. He is a hard worker and has battled hard through his whole career. This is the type of atmosphere the coaching staff wants to create in the Leafs dressing room. Also, at 28, it's not like the team is subjecting any of our young players to getting crushed night in and night out. Finally, being 28 if he happens to have a break out year (albeit unlikely), we could parlay him for picks at the deadline.

Or, he keeps boarding players in the back pushing them face first into the boards, and earns a bunch of game suspensions providing a negligible contribution to the team. He is more likely AHL bound than a "parlay for a picks at the deadline".

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's simple: He's a Toronto guy who was just overzealous to make something happen in his home debut. NHL players avoid contact by turning their face to the boards. That's just how it is for getting on close to a decade. He knows that.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Maybe his enthusiasm and excitement got the best of him and he made those two uncalled for hits. He got away with the first one!

Though, it's not like he's new to the show.

It's good to have energy, and it's understandable that it may be hard to control the energy and excitement of the game after getting back up the the NHL, but both hits were over the line and I don't think MB would be pleased at all with that kind of game.

I would think he will have a short leash, but, fully expected MB will give him another chance or two to redeem himself.

Other than the 2 bad hits, he wasn't really that bad; good forecheck, backchecks, goes to the net, he's got a little skill, an okay skater AND he hits people quite a lot.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
It's simple: He's a Toronto guy who was just overzealous to make something happen in his home debut. NHL players avoid contact by turning their face to the boards. That's just how it is for getting on close to a decade. He knows that.

Yup, just a little over exuberant. He has had 18 minutes in penalties with Marlies, 10 for fighting, 4 for roughing, 2 for interference & 2 for hooking. None for boarding, CFB or cheap shot calls.

Not speaking just for this specific instance, but in general. I really think players being checked should be responsible for their own actions as well, if a player turns his back when a check is coming he should be given a penalty as well or the checker should not be penalized. Turning your back isn't only cowardice, it's outright stupid. Take the ****ing hit, if you know it's coming & brace yourself properly you rarely get hurt. If you turn your back, hoping the guy stops or backs off, you are risking your future.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yup, just a little over exuberant. He has had 18 minutes in penalties with Marlies, 10 for fighting, 4 for roughing, 2 for interference & 2 for hooking. None for boarding, CFB or cheap shot calls.

Not speaking just for this specific instance, but in general. I really think players being checked should be responsible for their own actions as well, if a player turns his back when a check is coming he should be given a penalty as well or the checker should not be penalized. Turning your back isn't only cowardice, it's outright stupid. Take the ****ing hit, if you know it's coming & brace yourself properly you rarely get hurt. If you turn your back, hoping the guy stops or backs off, you are risking your future.

You're talking about hockey you and I remember but it's now gone. Defensemen especially are now taught the technique of using the boarding rules to their advantage. Defensemen turn and face the boards when vulnerable to potential contact because they know the penalty is huge if hit. Players seldom cross this line and hit them anyways because it's a ticket out of the league.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You're talking about hockey you and I remember but it's now gone. Defensemen especially are now taught the technique of using the boarding rules to their advantage. Defensemen turn and face the boards when vulnerable to potential contact because they know the penalty is huge if hit. Players seldom cross this line and hit them anyways because it's a ticket out of the league.

No offense, but I just don't buy this theory. Getting a few extra penalties is in no way a good enough return for putting yourself in a vulnerable position and risk getting a serious injury.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
No offense, but I just don't buy this theory. Getting a few extra penalties is in no way a good enough return for putting yourself in a vulnerable position and risk getting a serious injury.

It ain't about getting a few extra penalties, it's about not getting hit at all. There's an unspoken trust amongst the NHL brethren that this line won't be crossed. You're probably so young that it looks normal to you that a defenseman facing the boards is almost never hit. There was a time when the defenseman who did this would have been drilled into the boards and the prevailing mindset had been that it was the player's fault for making himself vulnerable.

A similar evolution is happening with headshots and blindside hits. You may remember when having your head down searching for the puck at your feet then getting clocked in the open ice was considered legal as long as the hit wasn't led with an elbow.

Some more examples that has seen hockey change how it's played:

-Freezing the puck along the boards. Players used their size and strength to intentionally stop the motion of the puck along the boards to force faceoffs and line changes. Some players specialized in this as a tactic such as Walt McKechnie.
-Falling on or smothering the puck by defensemen. This was a common tactic to stop the play. Hall of Famers like Brad Park and Borje Salming were great at this.
-Holding by defensemen. When a defenseman hit and knocked a player off the puck along the boards, the referees allowed him to hold the player for something as long 5 seconds before having to release the player. Larry Robinson was a master of this.
-Shooting the puck over the glass. Untalented defensemen when in trouble in their own end would simply fire the puck into the crowd under the guise of "clearing the puck".
-Defensemen crosschecking/slashing/holding players in front of the goal. Few rules were enforced once a forward decided to park himself in front of the goal. Defensemen could hack and slash and grab and pull and crosscheck without getting a penalty. Crossing the line would involve crosschecking in the back of the head or breaking your stick on the player. If a player was good at withstanding this punishment, he was considered very useful.

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I actually know coaches that have taught this to kids in minor hockey. Basically the instruction is, turn your back, then the player can't hit you & if he does he gets a penalty & we are on the power play. These coaches should be banned from coaching, but it exists & sadly, quite abundantly.

It ain't about getting a few extra penalties, it's about not getting hit at all. There's an unspoken trust amongst the NHL brethren that this line won't be crossed. You're probably so young that it looks normal to you that a defenseman facing the boards is almost never hit. There was a time when the defenseman who did this would have been drilled into the boards and the prevailing mindset had been that it was the player's fault for making himself vulnerable.

A similar evolution is happening with headshots and blindside hits. You may remember when having your head down searching for the puck at your feet then getting clocked in the open ice was considered legal as long as the hit wasn't led with an elbow.

Correct.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe his enthusiasm and excitement got the best of him and he made those two uncalled for hits. He got away with the first one!

Though, it's not like he's new to the show.

It's good to have energy, and it's understandable that it may be hard to control the energy and excitement of the game after getting back up the the NHL, but both hits were over the line and I don't think MB would be pleased at all with that kind of game.

I would think he will have a short leash, but, fully expected MB will give him another chance or two to redeem himself.

Other than the 2 bad hits, he wasn't really that bad; good forecheck, backchecks, goes to the net, he's got a little skill, an okay skater AND he hits people quite a lot.

Too excited, and too anxious to get in those hits.

Hopefully, he settles down, but his reputation keeps opposition players concerned about holding the puck too long.

Those bad hits could be an investment, I'm not sure if they were a good or bad investment at this point.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Clune recalled by the Leafs:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=793746

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Sunday that the hockey club has recalled forward Rich Clune from the Toronto Marlies (AHL).

Clune, 28, has been held pointless in two games with the Maple Leafs this season. The Toronto, Ontario native has also skated in 22 games with the Toronto Marlies (AHL), collecting 12 points (five goals, seven assists) and 70 penalty minutes. Clune, who signed an NHL contract with the Maple Leafs on October 29, 2015, has appeared in 122 career regular season NHL games, collecting 18 points (seven goals, 11 assists) and 310 penalty minutes.

The Maple Leafs return to the ice on Monday night when they travel to face the Colorado Avalanche at 9:00 p.m. ET.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hopefully he does better this time around.

Was such a pitiable performance last time around, nabbing that major...

You could just feel Babcock seething with rage.

Good kid. It was likely just nerves... Hopefully.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This guy gets a shot and then tries to destroy people. Always remember his first shifts and how quickly he blew it.

Hope he calms down and just plays hockey not human eraser (in the bad way)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
They basically recalled him to make him a healthy scratch.

There's no point exposing players like Panik to waivers just to make them healthy scratches.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They basically recalled him to make him a healthy scratch.

There's no point exposing players like Panik to waivers just to make them healthy scratches.

Thought Panik is done with waivers this season. Didn't he clear?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I believe it's 30 days. So if he got called up, he would need to be put on waivers to be sent down again

Ah right. Makes sense if that's the case. You need to be a capologist for this stuff, well that or a google junky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad