Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired Ryan O’Reilly, Noel Acciari & Josh Pillar in a three-team trade with STL and MIN

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
You might even get a Ryan O' Reilly himself with a 2nd rounder. :wg:

View attachment 716126

But Toronto used their 1st round pick 2023 + 2nd round pick in 2024 to bring in a 32 year old ROR and most likely he will be (baring some shocking miracle) will be playing for another team next year and only ended up being a very costly rental for Toronto.

However I think you get the point I'm making. Good teams draft and develop their own talent .. TB won multiple Cups because the drafted Kucherov in the 2nd and Point in the 4th.

View attachment 716128
almost the same draft spot the Leafs took Knies.

View attachment 716129

Congratulations on finding 3 picks across a 12 year span. 3 for 300 is pretty good!

The math says that 2nd rounders have quite a low probability of playing more than 50 NHL games, and a very low probability of being a Knies. Arguing otherwise would be on brand for how you make your arguments on this forum, though, ignoring stats unless they help your argument.

If anything, you should be praising Dubas and his staff for landing Knies with that pick. I am no big Dubas fan, but I will always be thankful his staff found Knies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
At this point in his career, is ROR in line for a raise? Maybe I'm dead wrong, but wouldn't he take a cut to:

1. Be on a competitive team
2. Take more term
3. Be part of Toronto Culture (in which I think he's emmersed in already)

?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Your reality and the Canes reality isn't the Leafs reality, they can only deal with their own reality. In their reality they needed to make deadline moves to try and push the team over the top.

I'm sure their plan always has been and will continue to be to draft players that can be used.
Perhaps things need to change..

The Salary Cap was instituted in 2004 and its been 19 years and the Leafs have only won 1 single playoff round which is the worst record in the NHL.

Maybe the Leafs need to spend smarter not harder and draft better than buy bigger to try and get success.

The best way to have a competitive team with star players is to offset those big contracts with self drafted and developed players on cheap entry level contracts and have them contribute at high levels.

Even if you have a Matthews at $15 mil AAV if you can offset that with the Matthew Knies at <$1 mil then combined its really 2 players at $8 mil average, if both player are contributing at high levels as a result of high draft capital and highend young players at different stages of their careers.

Since money is no object when it comes to management and scouting teams and investment then it would be better served for Leafs to draft their own ROR and not always rely on high priced UFA or acquiring players in trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Extremely smart player. I saw that clearly but he's slower than Tavares and that's saying something.

I'd much rather invest in Barbashev long term than ROR right now.

He’s more useful than Tavares though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bit premature to lament the draft capital spent on the trade without seeing whose retained

Regardless, maximizing the competitiveness of the team in its current state is/was more important than worry about the teams prospect pool 4-5 years down the line when those 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks will maybe be cracking the NHL .

Reactions: aingefan

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Since money is no object when it comes to management and scouting teams and investment then it would be better served for Leafs to draft their own ROR and not always rely on high priced UFA or acquiring players in trade.
We don't always rely on high priced UFAs or acquiring players in trade. This should be pretty obvious, considering you've been talking about the drafted high-end prospect that we simultaneously added to the team in Knies. If you wanted more of them in prior years, Lou shouldn't have drained the prospect pool and then sucked at drafting through the end of our rebuild and the beginning of our competitive phase.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It is and it really puts Dubas in a negative light. He mortgaged the future the entire time he was GM.

Do you think ROR will play C with Tavares on the wing? That line will no doubt be skilled, but it will lack speed. I don't think adding Marner or Nylander helps in the speed department.

Don't get me wrong. I like Acciari and ROR.
I wonder if Tre’s talk about changing the play style appeals to ROR.
I’d like him back too, 3 years seems like lots, but putting him and Tavares sounds like a slow idea.
Put them in different lines to spread things out. Maybe JT slides to the wing with AM-MM.
ROR with Knies and Acc/Lafferty.
CJ-PH-WN if they’re all back.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Bit premature to lament the draft capital spent on the trade without seeing whose retained

Regardless, maximizing the competitiveness of the team in its current state is/was more important than worry about the teams prospect pool 4-5 years down the line when those 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks will maybe be cracking the NHL .

You conveniently left out the most valuable piece of the ROR trade. :laugh:

For the record it was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th round pick...

"Maximizing the competitiveness of the team" ended up getting the Leafs 5 out of 16 possible playoff wins...

Nowhere near good enough.

Reactions: PuckFather and Smif

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I really dislike rentals, much prefer the McCabe type deals. I'm hoping Acciari stays more than ROR tbh, the value per dollar is so much better and he still has his legs.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

"Maximizing the competitiveness of the team" ended up getting the Leafs 5 out of 16 possible playoff wins...

If Treliving had that 1st, 2nd ,3rd and 4th round pick back could you imagine the type of player with Term he might be able to add to improve the roster right now?

If nothing else you would certainly be able to move around in the entry draft and land some players you really coveted.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Trading the 1st was the right thing to do as well. The same logic applies, a late 1st prospect is likely still going to be 3+ years away at making any sort of impact as a rookie

The Leafs disappointing finish in the 2nd round doesn't change the soundness of it.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Trading the 1st was the right thing to do as well. The same logic applies, a late 1st prospect is likely still going to be 3+ years away at making any sort of impact as a rookie

The Leafs disappointing finish in the 2nd round doesn't change the soundness of it.

So forgetting the fact that you for some reason ignored the 1st round pick in your initial post (I'm sure that was by accident), actually it changes it a lot...

Maybe Dubas should have traded over half a draft class of picks for a legitimate goalie instead, for example. We ended up with a very poor Samsonov performance in net who was then injured and had to be replaced with our third string goalie, who then lost the series.

The trade failed to advance the Leafs close to the Cup, unless you think 5/16 wins is close. Personally I don't, but I guess you still like the "soundness" of it even though this "soundness" didn't really measurably accomplish a whole lot.

Let's remember Dubas traded a first round pick for Nick Foligno at the deadline where we won 3/16 wins. Most people consider that another deadline fail for Dubas.

This deadline was probably the costliest we've ever seen in Leafs history and it resulted in +2 wins for them.

It was high-risk, all-in, and Dubas once again absolutely failed.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good GMs build their teams in the offseason and then fine tune them at the trade deadline only. Reason asset usage and cost.

Ryan O' Reilly and Noel Accairi are pending UFAs on July 1st, and had the Leafs waited until this summer to acquire them, could simply have signed them free of asset loss. True for any UFAs not just these 2.

Acquiring them at the TDL costed the Leafs a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for short term usage, which they would still have now with better and smarter team building. .

The trade deadline is the silly season when GMs make their most costly mistakes, as each GM tries to up one another to win the Cup with all but one coming up short and not looking foolish,

Our Leafs are so deep down this rabbit hole that their spending 3 years into the future to with the 2023 Stanley Cup.

1686318743450.png

Of the Leafs top 120 picks (rounds 1-4) Leafs only have 5 of a possible 12 picks remaining as a result of mortgaging their future for a few short weeks in April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad