Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired Ryan O’Reilly, Noel Acciari & Josh Pillar in a three-team trade with STL and MIN

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn't work out but IMO, these were necessary moves and seemed to be a reasonable price.
Making no moves and losing is is worse, IMO.

But that is not the only option available to a good GM to make his team better. Strong drafting and developing your own talent with draft capital also makes your team better and Scouts no matter how many you have don't count against you Salary Cap.

Case in point.

Ryan O’Reilly, Noel Acciari return the Leafs have surrendered 4 future draft picks = 1st (2023), 2nd (2024), 3rd (2023) and 4th in (2025). If they didn't make that trade they would have 4 more draft picks remaining.

What do people believe makes a team better short-term rentals players at the TDL like ROR and Accairi or using a 2nd round pick on a player like Matthews Knies and now having him potentially for next decade to offset the cost of those big $$$ contracts? A team that wants to be a perpetual contender would be drafting and deloloping their own Ryan O'Reilly and Noel Accairi with the their own draft capital.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
But that is not the only option available to a good GM to make his team better. Strong drafting and developing your own talent with draft capital also makes your team better and Scouts no matter how many you have don't count against you Salary Cap.

Case in point.

Ryan O’Reilly, Noel Acciari return the Leafs have surrendered 4 future draft picks = 1st (2023), 2nd (2024), 3rd (2023) and 4th in (2025). If they didn't make that trade they would have 4 more draft picks remaining.

What do people believe makes a team better short-term rentals players at the TDL like ROR and Accairi or using a 2nd round pick on a player like Matthews Knies and now having him potentially for next decade to offset the cost of those big $$$ contracts? A team that wants to be a perpetual contender would be drafting and deloloping their own Ryan O'Reilly and Noel Accairi with the their own draft capital.
High-end teams do both, just like we did.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You know that "Killer Instinct" that Leafs management is always taking about?

Well it just walked in the door in the form of Ryan O’Reilly, Noel Acciari. :)

Both these new Leafs are hard to play against and are willing to do what it takes to win.

Mess,

For as much as you’re railing against this move now, you seemed to certainly like it when it happened. And you cannot tell me you didn’t understand at that moment this result was always a possibility. You didn’t care because good teams improve themselves and try to win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Case in point.

Yes, it would be better to not have to pay and bring in the home grown talent but that wasn't their reality.

Reactions: Sypher04

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mess,

For as much as you’re railing against this move now, you seemed to certainly like it when it happened. And you cannot tell me you didn’t understand at that moment this result was always a possibility. You didn’t care because good teams improve themselves and try to win.
ROR is one of my favourite NHL players and after losing Zach Hyman (my former fav Leaf) this was a nice replacement.

I hope the Leafs re-sign O'Reilly :crossfing because he is the type of player the Leafs need more of and then its also not a wasted draft pick.

Players that lead their teams to a Stanley Cup while winning Conn Smythe as MVP while leading the playoffs in scoring & while also wining the Selke as best defensive forward are MY kind of players. :)

1686243412935.png

Instead of paying JT a high priced UFA $11 mil .. I would rather pay Zach Hyman $5.5 mil and ROR $5.5 mil instead for the same cap space usage.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think at this point I would be shocked if ROR went to another team. I think he stays in TOR.

Just to add:

I will credit Dubas if this comes to fruition.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'm sure he was fine when 2nd round picks were going out the door for 4th line rentals in Boyle and Plekanec, in the first 2 years of a rebuild or a 1st rounder for a goalie that won 0 playoff series before Marner and Matthews even played a game.

The only thing wrong with the Boyle and Plekanec additions was their minimal impact. Those teams should have added a higher caliber player(s) to take advantage of having 3 young stars on ELCs. Imagine somehow adding a high end defender to those teams. And the team at the time had prospect chips other teams seemed to want: Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown, Timashov, Dermott, Leivo, Soshnikov.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think at this point I would be shocked if ROR went to another team. I think he stays in TOR.

Just to add:

Hard to imagine how they can afford him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Just to add:

With what Cap space?

Last year ROR made $7.5 mil on his last deal >> Nylander makes now.

In order to bring him in at TDL they needed 2 other teams to eat and retain 75% of his remaining Cap space usage.

1686244250014.png

According to CapFriendly.com, O'Reilly's $7.5-million cap hit for the remainder of the season will be divided as follows. He will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
  • St. Louis retains 50% ($3.75M)
  • Minnesota retains 50% of the $3.75M ($1.875M)
  • O'Reilly joins Maple Leafs with a cap hit of $1.875M
Because the Leafs are paying 4 forwards 1/2 their cap space Leafs #6 forward Calle Järnkrok's salary is only $2,100,000 and Leafs had 6 more forwards making <$2 mil after that. There is no cap space for $4-6 mil forwards on the Leafs roster. Remember they let Zach Hyman walk because $5.5 mil was too rich to keep.

Matthews and Nylander are lining up for raises that will need to be budgeted for ,so how are the Leafs going to re-sign ROR?

Nobody would love it more if Brad Treliving found a way to move other players out and re-sign O'Reilly, :)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
With what Cap space?

Last year ROR made $7.5 mil on his last deal >> Nylander makes now.

In order to bring him in at TDL they needed 2 other teams to eat and retain 75% of his remaining Cap space usage.

View attachment 716110

According to CapFriendly.com, O'Reilly's $7.5-million cap hit for the remainder of the season will be divided as follows. He will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
  • St. Louis retains 50% ($3.75M)
  • Minnesota retains 50% of the $3.75M ($1.875M)
  • O'Reilly joins Maple Leafs with a cap hit of $1.875M
Because the Leafs are paying 4 forwards 1/2 their cap space Leafs #6 forward Calle Järnkrok's salary is only $2,100,000 and Leafs had 6 more forwards making <$2 mil after that. There is no cap space for $4-6 mil forwards on the Leafs roster. Remember they let Zach Hyman walk because $5.5 mil was too rich to keep.

Matthews and Nylander are lining up for raises that will need to be budgeted for ,so how are the Leafs going to re-sign ROR?

Nobody would love it more if Brad Treliving found a way to move other players out and re-sign O'Reilly, :)

It’s not hat hard. Kerfoot’s 3.5 plus Holl’s 2 million will be enough to cover O’Reilly’s salary. Based on his TSN interview yesterday I think O’Reilly will be staying in Toronto. People need to accept we are going to have a lot of ELC’s on this roster next year. I’d expect both Robertson and Knies to be on the roster.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s not hat hard. Kerfoot’s 3.5 plus Holl’s 2 million will be enough to cover O’Reilly’s salary. Based on his TSN interview yesterday I think O’Reilly will be staying in Toronto. People need to accept we are going to have a lot of ELC’s on this roster next year. I’d expect both Robertson and Knies to be on the roster.

Knies? yes, Robertson? That dude is made of glass he can't stay healthy he's got to go.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Knies? Yrs, Robertson? That dude is made of glass he can't stay healthy he's got to go.

He might end up getting traded at some point but he’s got to play to increase his value. I personally think Robertson will figure it out. I actually liked when he played with Matthews for a little bit. I think that was the best fit for him. But I’m not the coach.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, it would be better to not have to pay and bring in the home grown talent but that wasn't their reality.
My reality is also the reality of other NHL teams like say Carolina who don't believe in rentals.

Carolina finishes ahead of our Leafs in the regular season and advance further in the playoffs each year.

Here is the Canes draft capital in the next 3 upcoming drafts. Traded only one 3rd rounder and replaced it,

1686246027403.png

vs Leafs

1686246166345.png

PS. Remember it was also the Canes that took Marleau with Leafs 1st off Dubas hands and turned him into young Seth Jarvis who just finished this year playoffs 5-5-10 points in 15 games. The player the Leafs signed as UFA Tavares to his $11 mil that forced that Marleau trade just finished with 4-4-8 points in 11 playoff games.

Leafs are the least successful NHL team in Salary Cap world because they continue to try and buy success instead of build it themselves. There are other options then mortgaging the future for high priced UFA or TDL rental players. :wg: Lets start drafting our own ROR and Noel Accairi types !!!

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Case in point.

Imagine thinking that every draft pick becomes a Knies.

I agree with stopping the draft pick bleeding but 95% of the time you are not getting a Knies with a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: MapleLeafsMats

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
My reality is also the reality of other NHL teams like say Carolina who don't believe in rentals.

Carolina finishes ahead of our Leafs in the regular season and advance further in the playoffs each year.

Here is the Canes draft capital in the next 3 upcoming drafts. Traded only one 3rd rounder and replaced it,

View attachment 716116

vs Leafs

View attachment 716117

PS. Remember it was also the Canes that took Marleau with Leafs 1st off Dubas hands and turned him into young Seth Jarvis who just finished this year playoffs 5-5-10 points in 15 games. The player the Leafs signed as UFA Tavares to his $11 mil that forced that Marleau trade just finished with 4-4-8 points in 11 playoff games.

Leafs are the least successful NHL team in Salary Cap world because they continue to try and buy success instead of build it themselves. There are other options then mortgaging the future for high priced UFA or TDL rental players. :wg:

Carolina has been very well managed, and a lot of what you see above has more to do with some exceptional contracts they signed a long time ago in Slavin, Teuvo and Pesce.

I think you could make the argument that maybe they should have spent a few picks to improve while all of these discount deals were still going. I bet we see them move draft capital this year to try to go for it. Check out their contract situation:

1686246889969.png

Necas will get 8-10m, Pesce will get 1.5-2m bump, in 2 years Slavin will get a 3-4m bump, Skjei will get 1m bump, Aho will get 1-2m bump, Teuvo will get 2.5ish bump.

Jarvis is probably in that 4m bridge range. Drury I am not sure about.

For skaters alone, you are adding 25m in cap to ice the same team.

Both of their top 2 goalies are UFAs and will get raises.

MapleLeafsMats

Aug 9, 2020
For every Acciari & O'Rielly with your own picks - there's Tyler Biggs, Frederik Gauthier, etc. Big guys who can skate and have some skill don't grow on trees. Every team is after that. If you can acquire them and keep them long term, you do it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

View attachment 716116

vs Leafs

View attachment 716117

Leafs are the least successful NHL team in Salary Cap world because they continue to try and buy success instead of build it themselves. There are other options then mortgaging the future for high priced UFA or TDL rental players. :wg: Lets start drafting our own ROR and Noel Accairi types !!!
Your reality and the Canes reality isn't the Leafs reality, they can only deal with their own reality. In their reality they needed to make deadline moves to try and push the team over the top.

I'm sure their plan always has been and will continue to be to draft players that can be used.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

View attachment 716116

vs Leafs

View attachment 716117

Big agree, I wish we were as data driven as Carolina, the franchise most obviously influenced by analytics.

Of course if we had their team, all we'd hear about is how you can't win in a playoffs with a 1D as soft as Slavin or how the offense disappears in big games, let's not pretend anyone here would be happy with being a different great team that also hasn't won the Cup

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Imagine thinking that every draft pick becomes a Knies.

I agree with stopping the draft pick bleeding but 95% of the time you are not getting a Knies with a 2nd rounder.
You might even get a Ryan O' Reilly himself with a 2nd rounder. :wg:

1686247006538.png

But Toronto used their 1st round pick 2023 + 2nd round pick in 2024 to bring in a 32 year old ROR and most likely he will be (baring some shocking miracle) will be playing for another team next year and only ended up being a very costly rental for Toronto.

However I think you get the point I'm making. Good teams draft and develop their own talent .. TB won multiple Cups because the drafted Kucherov in the 2nd and Point in the 4th.

1686247472515.png

almost the same draft spot the Leafs took Knies.

1686247558244.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad