Sportsnet: Leafs have 18.45 million in cap room this offseason

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure that with the rise in the cap the leafs will have between 25 and 27 million in cap space this year. Some of that will go to Nylander.

Leafs have 6 UFA and 2 RFA that they need to use that money on.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Nylander 7 yrs 5.5-6.5M.

You and all other leafs fans need to understand a player like Nylander is going to want to get a bridge deal.

He at best gets 7m in a long term deal, but much likely closer to 6. He has been misused a lot these last two seasons, and still put up 60+ points in the last two years.

I suspect both Marner and Nylander will want bridge deals, because it frees them up for two big paydays. A 3 year deal puts them at 24, and then they can sign for 8 years (32) and then get another decent 5 year contract to take them to 37.

I suspect you get Nylander at 7x7 or 5x2/5x3

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Add another 5 million to that if the cap does go up to 80 Million.

We only have 16 players signed which is not a lot. Nylander is lickely getting 6.25-6.5 IMO and we need both a 3C and 4C.

It's Tavares or broke this off season. If not then just wait till 2019 for Doughty, Seguin, Karlsson et all to become available.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think this is a litness test for how well you understand the NHL. While they do have a lot of cap this year, the following year it is going to get messy. So any long term contracts will likely come at the cost of another roster player when the time comes. A lot of that "free cap" is allocated in young core players future deals.

So unless Tor is going to go big on a 1 year deal which is more uncommon it really isn't that useful.

Maybe someone like Kovi might fit that though or an older player like Jumbo Joe

I think that post served as a litness test on how well you know English ...

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
2019-20
Salary cap: 85M
Salary: 84.263M

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(10) Nylander(6.5)
Marleau(6.25) Kadri(4.5) Marner(6.5)
Johnsson(1.25) Tavares(10) Brown(2.1)
Grundstrom(.925) Aaltonen(1) Kapanen(1.5)
Leivo(1)

Rielly(5) Doughty(9)
Dermott(.863) Zaitsev(4.5)
Borgman(1.5) Carrick(1.5)
Liljegren(.925)

Andersen(5)
Sparks(1)

Kessel (1.2)
Tavares won't sign for ten million. Not while paying taxes.

And even if he did... him as a third liner... is hilarious.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Do these jokers have any foresight?

“Marleau contract will handicap the team”
“How will they fit the big three under the cap”

Maybe listen to the fans who live and breathe this team.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares won't sign for ten million. Not while paying taxes.

And even if he did... him as a third liner... is hilarious.
I know the leafs can offer endorsement deals like they presented stamkos with.

FYI, if you watched hockey you would know Babcock doesn't have a 1st line or a 3rd line, he rolls his lines evenly.

Jan 21, 2018
*litmus test*.

Toronto is a similar spot going into next year as the Oilers were coming into this year. Yes, they have a bunch of cap space in theory, but that space is absolutely gone after next year when Matthews and Marner need extensions. They’ll also need to make a decision on Gardiner.

The only similarity between the Leafs and Oilers is that their best players will be paid a lot.

The major difference is that the Leafs don't have a bunch of bad contracts limiting the further success of the team. On contrary, the Leafs have many good contracts and will be able to attract UFA's at a cheaper rate to plug holes in the rest of the roster.

And no that does not mean Tavares is coming to Toronto, give me a break he's a terrible fit for the Leafs. All the money they could be using to beef up that D would be a waste on Tavares who's primarily skillset is already a luxury that the Leafs have plenty of.

Matthews will get the Toews/Kane contract at minimum. Nylander/Marner likely sign similar contracts between 6-7M depending on the term, how many UFA years it kills etc.

So yes the Leafs will obviously be having cap issues soon but the only bad contract on the team is Martin who I think can be moved with a small bit of incentive/retention.

The leafs are finally at the point where they have a legitimate core that can compete for the cup ever year. They just need to be able to insulate it well, unlike Chiarelli was able to do.

Jan 21, 2018
He at best gets 7m in a long term deal, but much likely closer to 6. He has been misused a lot these last two seasons, and still put up 60+ points in the last two years.

Misused? He has been put in the best position to succeed and rack up points on the wing with Matthews.

If he played at C this year he would have had a much tougher time carrying a line on his own and taking on the defensive responsibilities at that position.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I personally think they're going to announce the resigning of Matthews/Marner/Nylander all to long term deals on the same day. It'll be a media circus. Might as well strap the C on Matthews during that same press conference while they're at it!

Tavares long term doesn't make sense IMO, but I'm not sure why everyone has ruled out a 1 year deal like it's not possible. Obviously it's more likely than not that he signs a long term deal wherever he goes, but it's not unprecedented for players to do the opposite. Hossa did it a few times right in his prime. If he signs a 1 year 14M deal he could still sign the same long term deal next summer because he'll still be young enough. A year padding his stats on a team that scores at will like TO will only help that cause as well.

Feb 24, 2017
I think this is a litness test for how well you understand the NHL. While they do have a lot of cap this year, the following year it is going to get messy. So any long term contracts will likely come at the cost of another roster player when the time comes. A lot of that "free cap" is allocated in young core players future deals.

So unless Tor is going to go big on a 1 year deal which is more uncommon it really isn't that useful.

Maybe someone like Kovi might fit that though or an older player like Jumbo Joe
Litmus

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
upload_2018-4-8_17-58-40.png

Trade Marleau and let Thornton walk as a UFA after next season and this opens up about $18 million in cap space for the following season that can be used to re-sign Auston and Mitch. What ever is left over can be used to give Jake a $1 mil/$2 mil raise. If he doesn't want it, move on because we have ELC lilly and Borg waiting in the wings.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Something to remember. Right now Marleau and Martin are on the books for 2019-2020. But, Marleau will be paid only 1.25M on a 6.25M cap hit after his signing bonus on July 1st of his last season. Likewise, Martin will be paid 750K on a 2.5M cap hit after his signing bonus on July 1st of his last season. With a rising cap those contracts should be moveable based on their play to date, especially to cap floor teams. Marleau has a NMC clause, but I'm sure he'd waive to go to LA, SJ, Ana or Vegas in that final year. All they need is for those players to not regress and they may even profit off they're departure.

Reactions: Erndog

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
its 4 bottom-6 players and 1 bottom-pair dman. not hard to fill and should be relatively inexpensive with either free agents or internally

Easier said than done.
Bozak, JVR etc are quality bottom 6. If you gut your 3 and 4 lines you end up getting eaten alive by well balanced teams i.e. the Oilers

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Easier said than done.
Bozak, JVR etc are quality bottom 6. If you gut your 3 and 4 lines you end up getting eaten alive by well balanced teams i.e. the Oilers
Nobody said anything about gutting the bottom 6. It is going to be a very different bottom 6. There are absolutely real options internally that will be able to step in and fill in for the lost spots to free agency. Especially on the wing. Meanwhile the Leafs just might shift Nylander to centre next year and all of a sudden depth isn't such a problem anymore.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad