Post-Game Talk: Leafs hand Vegas a free win - 4-3 OTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Leafs have woken up a bit recently playing the good teams well and getting good results.

We need to move on from the bad results from earlier when they played weak teams. It's done. Just keep moving forward.

Build from the good things they did, and work smarter at minimizing the mistakes going forward. Lots and lots of hockey yet to be played.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've never liked Kallgren. And I usually feel like any time he starts is an automatic loss. But he shouldn't be faulted for this one. Credit where it's due, he got them the loser point.

I'd still be happy to never see him as a Leaf ever again, and I hope they give a start to Petruzzeli before MM get's back.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
High quality number one defensemen can help stabilize any quality of partner for a length of time. Notice how when Muzzin was good and healthy he really put Holl on the map, or how Brodie has quieted down Holl's struggles as well. Rielly is a chaotic defender who doesn't really do that for his partners. He still kinda needs a safer partner out there. In ideal circumstances, he's a strong number 2.
A second year with Boosh would have been the preference for Reilly. But... way too much physicality, that hammer had to go (Kadri, Hyman, Marchment, anyone see a pattern here?).

And nobody give me that crap about Boosh's new contract being too expensive - the partner for any team's #1 d-man can't be a minimum wage newbie. For those who played defence even in house league, remember how a d-partner with complementary skills ratcheted up your own game a lot?

Reactions: Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think if we're going to ice Mo in OT, you gotta put a couple more defensively minded guys with him. Can't be the gloebtrotters approach. Put AM and MM our with Brodie or Lilly.
Yes Mo is like playing another C .. 3 guys all attacking is ripe for a defensive breakdown

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Much different hanging with the big boys in November than in the playoffs. We have all seen this story before.
What is the point of even cheering for the team during the regular season then? Aside from 82-0-0 it sounds like they cannot do anything to prove themselves in the regular season regardless. We all know that despite setting a franchise record in points last season, they still had people like yourself expecting them to lose R1.

The team cannot dispel their playoff woes in November. There is really no point of referencing previous playoff shortcomings. It accomplishes absolutely nothing. If anything, it just amplifies the pressure, and only further drives home that they are failures. We need this team to feel confident. We can't just shit on them at every moment they stumble.

The boys fell short last night. They should have won absolutely. It was 4 mindless mistakes that cost them the game. Yes, concerning that it is not the first time that this has happened, but it is also a very competitive league. This shit will happen. Lets try and remember that they played against a very good VGK team and were on the 3rd game in 4 nights. All of which against contending squads. Be upset with the result, but the effort was 100% there all game. Just the way she goes sometimes.

5/6 pts against those teams and 4-0-2 in the last 6 is a step in the right direction. Lets button up this weekends B2B and continue the steps forward in the right direction.

As a fanbase we just need to take a deep breath, and remember that failures from 2016-2022 realistically mean jack shit in the end. Its a new season and new opportunity to change the narrative. No sense contributing to the dark cloud that looms over the players 24/7

Last edited:

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
5/6 points against BOS, CAR, and VGK in a vacuum is great, but seeing how close we were to getting 6/6 and the stupid ways we blew it last night makes it feel worse.

Leafs are 8/10 points in the last 5.
If it weren't for "the stupid ways" we would've held on to the last 2 points.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He has 20 NHL games played and should get some leeway for that. I don't see a starter but maybe he will develop into a solid backup.
Imo is fair to criticize, as I have with kallgren, but if you do, you should also acknowledge the positives. Last night he hit us a point. Made big saves when we were down 1 and the goals he allowed were not of the soft category
He gets condemned for four goals when we play terribly in from of him against one of the top teams, but no credit for the .973 save % in his previous two games against two more of the best teams?

Reactions: saltming

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think if we're going to ice Mo in OT, you gotta put a couple more defensively minded guys with him. Can't be the gloebtrotters approach. Put AM and MM our with Brodie or Lilly.
Which OT level forwards are better defensively than those two? Feels more like dysfunction than talent.

Someone above said that duo has been outscored 8-1 in OT? That's crazy, how can you not fix that.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Engvall needs to go. So sick of that guy pulling up everytime there is a chance of contact.

He does absolutely nothing positive
He’s just a giant waste of potential, imo. The guy is 6’3 and jacked but small skilled players like Malgin play more of a physical game

If Engvall was physical and used his size I’d go as far as to have him as the most valuable forward outside the core 4. But he doesn’t use his best asset and it’s infuriating

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
These guys are amazing! When I first discovered them, I just went from one song to another and loved every second of it. And that chick had such a beautiful smile and is smoking hot! If I'm not mistaken they are touring the US right now.

They do mostly CTA covers but a few other songs as well, if you haven't done so already, be sure to check out Vehicle. That's one of my favorite songs from that era and these guys hit it out of the park (of course)!

Not sure how anyone could think that at this point. More likely they cruise to the playoffs IMO.

You're not supposed to use the word chick, its offensive to broads. :) BTW I love that I'm not the only person who still uses the word chick...

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A fight for positioning, the spots are about to be taken. Philly isnt sticking around much longer.

I don’t think Philly holds on, but I don’t see NYR staying down. I also don’t see the NYI holding on to a spot.

The big X factor this season is if Washington and Pittsburgh are cooked

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
A fight for positioning, the spots are about to be taken. Philly isnt sticking around much longer.
Looking at the east standings, florida/Carolina/boston/NJ/NYI are currently in playoff spots that I can envision staying. Then you have Detroit, Toronto, Tampa, NYR, and Pittsburgh (5 teams) vying for 3 spots. That doesn’t include a Buffalo, philly or Washington that might challenge. the thing with philly is torts has a good record of getting mediocre teams into the playoffs. In the cap era, torts is 10-5 of taking a team into a playoff spot. This year is much different with mediocre to poor teams having decent starts. Also factor in i don’t think Toronto is as good as last year Imho.

I’ll say this, the second dubas signed matthews to his contract, it has played out exactly how I thought. Poorly managed teams do not find success in the playoffs. And if trend continues, I believe the leafs will miss the playoffs narrowly and dubas will be fired. thats My take

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Looking at the east standings, florida/Carolina/boston/NJ/NYI are currently in playoff spots that I can envision staying. Then you have Detroit, Toronto, Tampa, NYR, and Pittsburgh (5 teams) vying for 3 spots. That doesn’t include a Buffalo, philly or Washington that might challenge. the thing with philly is torts has a good record of getting mediocre teams into the playoffs. In the cap era, torts is 10-5 of taking a team into a playoff spot. This year is much different with mediocre to poor teams having decent starts. Also factor in i don’t think Toronto is as good as last year Imho.

I’ll say this, the second dubas signed matthews to his contract, it has played out exactly how I thought. Poorly managed teams do not find success in the playoffs. And if trend continues, I believe the leafs will miss the playoffs narrowly and dubas will be fired. thats My take

The takes around here are hilarious

Reactions: kb

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The takes around here are hilarious
About just as hilarious as 18 straight seasons without a playoff round win, losing to Columbus in a play in bo5, losing to the worse playoff seeded team in Montreal with a 3-1 series lead, that type of hilarious?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
About just as hilarious as 18 straight seasons without a playoff round win, losing to Columbus in a play in bo5, losing to the worse playoff seeded team in Montreal with a 3-1 series lead, that type of hilarious?

Honestly more hilarious

“Torts is 10-5 making the playoffs, while the Leafs are 6-0 making the playoffs so Philly will likely make the playoffs”

• Haha
Reactions: kb

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Are you implying Matthews should have been traded in 2019?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Are you implying Matthews should have been traded in 2019?
I’m implying you don’t give him max money on a 5 yr deal, the play was either a beidge of 2/3 years since he doesn’t want to give you term. Dubas as the GM has all the leverage, and gave matthews the term AND the money. Poor negotiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad