Leafs get back to .500 in goal differential

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It's pretty amazing that even with the current play and wins, they are only on pace to finish with 94 points, which isn't usually enough for the playoffs.

I remember the days when 80 points were enough to make the playoffs, in fact when I was a kid I thought that was how you made the playoffs, I didn't know the top 8 teams from each conference made it, crazy when you think about it, but I was only 10.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I used to think the same way, but I completely disagree with it.

In the years when Leafs uses to fall off the cliff, they had respectable goal differential, but that didn't indicate that they would start losing. Their possession stats did.

This year, when Habs had 9-0-0 start, their fans boasted of league best goal differential, that didn't predict that they would fall back, other factors did.

Goal differential, imo, simply tells what we already know. Can't help much with predicting future.

Do you think the Canadiens with Price in net are different?

Leafs have been getting superior goaltending during this improvement period, to the point Reimer's stats are elite.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Do you think the Canadiens with Price in net are different?

Leafs have been getting superior goaltending during this improvement period, to the point Reimer's stats are elite.

I think last year's Canadiens were worse than this year's. Last year the Habs were 21st in scoring, well behind the vast majority of teams, but Price kept them in the race. This year the Habs are scoring more, but don't have Price. If you're comparing the Leafs and Habs of now, then the Leafs are better, no question, but that will change when Price returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad