Confirmed with Link: Leafs fire Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin. Kyle Dubas named Assistant GM

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm sure Dubas was the one who sign Winnik, considering he was the one to do the press release for it.

Booth, yeah, probably not, but you never know

Dubas probably had nothing to do with it, he probably did the press release as a chance to do one to get some expierence doing it for a minor signing. Dubas has stated while he's a stats guy, that's only part of the discussion, you still need to see the guy play and while he was the GM of the Soo, I would hazard a guess his views of Winnik in Anahiem were limited do to the limited time he probably had to watch NHL hockey.

Kessley Snipes*

With the Oilers hiring Tyler Dellow I think that we have seen a clear shift in thinking among the NHL teams with respect to the importance of possession numbers. I wonder if interactif still thinks its just a "buzzword"?
:laugh:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
With the Oilers hiring Tyler Dellow I think that we have seen a clear shift in thinking among the NHL teams with respect to the importance of possession numbers. I wonder if interactif still thinks its just a "buzzword"?
:laugh:

Teams are finally waking up to analytics. As we see more of the dinosaur thinking people leave upper management positions, this area for teams is just going to grow and grow. It is absolutely baffling why it has taken so long for teams to take analytics seriously. Better late then never.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Dinosaurs or not I thought Loiselle and Poulin did their jobs extremely well (contracts aside). The roster of the Marlies had a lot a new faces that were handled well and player development is going well.

Dubas can only help - it can't get much worse.

Do analytics apply to coaches, coaching systems, coaching philosophies? b/c that is the biggest needed change in Toronto. Some guys win wherever they go Quennville, Julien, Babcock...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Found this interesting today, Dubas wanting to put distance between himself and being known as just an analytics guy. Add this to Lieweke's comments about analytics last week, when he stressed character. Seems like the Leafs are playing down the analytics PR from this summer.

Maple Leafs' Kyle Dubas doesn't like to talk analytics

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Mon Sep 15 2014

The funny thing about Kyle Dubas when he takes centre stage in a Leafs media scrum is that he really and truly doesn’t want to talk about analytics even though advanced statistics are his forte and part of the reason he was hired this summer as assistant general manager.
Why doesn’t he want to talk about it? There are a lot of good reasons. Maybe he’s a little embarrassed at all the attention. Maybe he doesn’t want to show up GM Dave Nonis, who gets very little credit for putting analytics in the team budget two years ago.
“It’s just scouting,” he said. “You’re watching the game to see guys that play the way we want to play, guys who can fit in. We know the guys we need to key on to make decisions on.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...kyle_dubas_doesnt_like_to_talk_analytics.html

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Found this interesting today, Dubas wanting to put distance between himself and being known as just an analytics guy. Add this to Lieweke's comments about analytics last week, when he stressed character. Seems like the Leafs are playing down the analytics PR from this summer.

Maple Leafs' Kyle Dubas doesn't like to talk analytics

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Mon Sep 15 2014

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...kyle_dubas_doesnt_like_to_talk_analytics.html

"The media however, does want to talk about it"

Literally the only ones who think he is solely an "analytics guy" are ignorant media members and fans

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't blame him. there's a lot more to him than 'just the analytics guy' and that's all everyone wants to put on him - if he were me, it would piss me off too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is a wild theory of mine but I have a feeling if Dave Nonis gets fired after this season or sometime later on, I think that Dubas is going to be their next General Manager. I know he's only 28 years old and might be to young for the job, however what if there is a team in the future that want permission to interview him for their GM job. Is Shanahan going to tell them no he can't? So what do you all think?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
This is a wild theory of mine but I have a feeling if Dave Nonis gets fired after this season or sometime later on, I think that Dubas is going to be their next General Manager. I know he's only 28 years old and might be to young for the job, however what if there is a team in the future that want permission to interview him for their GM job. Is Shanahan going to tell them no he can't? So what do you all think?

Turning over one of the most profitable and richest sports franchises in the world, to have it run by a person with no experience? :laugh:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

hell no. if dubas is at the helm next year, i think the leafs are doomed. another JFJ in the making. this guy is young and bright, and the best move is to groom him for the next 4-5 years and then look to promote him.

honestly, i think he'd get honed by other GMs when it came to trades due to his lack of experience.

just because he did well at the Soo and surprised many people, doesn't mean he'll do the same with the leafs. the NHL is a very different animal when compared to the OHL especially when you're at the helm of the leafs.

next year is definitely not the right time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Future can be anytime but in the near future, no chance.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Of course he's not going to talk about analytics in public. Anyone in an NHL front office position is only going to give the most vague answers possible to the media. Their decision-making methodology is a trade secret.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
because those with experience did a sure fire job, right?

Lets see here. JFJ was hired as an astute smart up an comer, who actually did a pretty good job, yet had no autonomy and couldn't make final decisions without any interference. Next up, the spry and slick senile fox who kept calling Alex Steen, Thomas Steen, basically did a horrible job. Burke then is hired, with a cup under his belt and Leaf fans are reaping the rewards today of his work while employed by MLSE. Yet again, ownership seemed to meddle yet again. So yes, others have done a good job, and putting someone with no NHL experience at the helm, with a President with no NHL management experience behind the wheel is completely moronic. You do realize there are millions and millions of dollars at stake here right?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Lets see here. JFJ was hired as an astute smart up an comer, who actually did a pretty good job, yet had no autonomy and couldn't make final decisions without any interference. Next up, the spry and slick senile fox who kept calling Alex Steen, Thomas Steen, basically did a horrible job. Burke then is hired, with a cup under his belt and Leaf fans are reaping the rewards today of his work while employed by MLSE. Yet again, ownership seemed to meddle yet again. So yes, others have done a good job, and putting someone with no NHL experience at the helm, with a President with no NHL management experience behind the wheel is completely moronic. You do realize there are millions and millions of dollars at stake here right?

The glass is always half-empty in Toronto, they refuse to properly blow up a team and rebuild. We are at the point currently where we actually have a good group of players to work with, however, we do need all encompassing franchise player. I think Toronto has become too timid to make moves and instead have fallen into a back-seat passenger approach. This isn't always a bad thing, but we are never really good or really bad (high draft pick).

We can't focus on what past regimes has done, in order to find a solution you need to take those as an experience and look forward. I'd give the current group this season until make "blowing-up" or huge decision with the core. They did prove at one point to be dominant at times last season and also proved to be terrible defensively.

I like the current group of management, they are inexperienced at the NHL level, yes. They all have a trait of fire in their belly, success and innovative ideas. Innovation is a key movement in anything looking to move forward. Randy/Nonis are on the clock and if they do not experience success, they will be cut. I like Nonis, but he's a "safe" GM, he won't wow you with big trades. He essentially builds teams, and refuses to acknowledge key issues year after year. It's part of the reason he was fired in Vancouver, and M. Gilles took over. aka nonuts.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The glass is always half-empty in Toronto, they refuse to properly blow up a team and rebuild. We are at the point currently where we actually have a good group of players to work with, however, we do need all encompassing franchise player. I think Toronto has become too timid to make moves and instead have fallen into a back-seat passenger approach. This isn't always a bad thing, but we are never really good or really bad (high draft pick).

We can't focus on what past regimes has done, in order to find a solution you need to take those as an experience and look forward. I'd give the current group this season until make "blowing-up" or huge decision with the core. They did prove at one point to be dominant at times last season and also proved to be terrible defensively.

I like the current group of management, they are inexperienced at the NHL level, yes. They all have a trait of fire in their belly, success and innovative ideas. Innovation is a key movement in anything looking to move forward. Randy/Nonis are on the clock and if they do not experience success, they will be cut. I like Nonis, but he's a "safe" GM, he won't wow you with big trades. He essentially builds teams, and refuses to acknowledge key issues year after year. It's part of the reason he was fired in Vancouver, and M. Gilles took over. aka nonuts.

id rather have a GM who isn't going to have knee jerk reactions in order to appease Leaf fans and their inability for patience. This Leaf team is still one of the younger in the NHL, (Robidas probably pushed the average age up) and one of the most talented we have had in a long time, yet there is still talk of "blowing it up"? Wow, that's amazing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

You do realise that Shanahan before he went into the NHL Department of Player safety was a part of the NHL Hockey and Business Management program completely geared to help grow, expand hockey and the NHL as a whole right? Millions, and millions of dollars at stake here - - yes, so, what's your point?

For the most part - the NHL tends to recycle the same old people. People get fired, then they get hired and it's like, let's see what I did in this place can work here. Some people get better at it (Lombardi) and some people just do the same old bombastic crap (at EVERY LEVEL) - See, Tortorella, John.

From Coaching to Management , I feel there's this bias that people want 'the best ' we have to have people who had cups, we have to have people who have experience, because it's the LEAFS you know - but there's no evidence or basis that would indicate that that would work here. I'm not saying if the choice was between Babcock and Mr New Guy, or Mr New President vs. Rutherford, or Mr New GM (Dubas) vs. ________________________ I'd always pick the new people, but at the same time I wouldn't dismiss them if they could present to me why they'd be the best hire, or if they were capable of doing the job.

And that's what irks me because people throw out 'zero experience." as if they're not capable of doing anything. Simply because someone hasn't had the opportunity to to X doesn't mean people aren't capable, or knowledgeable in jumping into the fire, and knowing what to do, how to do it, and doing it will.

I personally feel that something that hampers everyone (fans & MLSE) alike is that people get so wrapped up in "Oh, so and so has no experience, we need someone with CUP experience ), but people who has won a cup - hell, even people who have been assistant general managers for ages doens't automatically mean they're capable of doing a good job.

Case In Point:
Brian Burke here.
Dave Nonis Here
Randy Carlyle Here

again, people love to go "MLSE meddle" whatever - go with that drama.

I'm not saying that Dubas should be the next/new guy right off the hop - but I think it's disingenuous to say that he'll suck, simply because he doesn't have the pedigree that most people seem to want and/or have.

that's all.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
id rather have a GM who isn't going to have knee jerk reactions in order to appease Leaf fans and their inability for patience. This Leaf team is still one of the younger in the NHL, (Robidas probably pushed the average age up) and one of the most talented we have had in a long time, yet there is still talk of "blowing it up"? Wow, that's amazing.

There's been three collapses, and no major moves. You have to ask whether a) This is just a young team whose learning b) This team doesn't know how to win.

Our defense/defensive system has been questionable for years now. It's not always making the "sexy" trade, but you need to make moves as a GM to insulate the team.

Nonis knows the pressure is on him now and will act accordingly this season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You have to be pretty small minded to think that because all you've heard about Dubas is that he likes analytics, then all he does is analytics.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Turning over one of the most profitable and richest sports franchises in the world, to have it run by a person with no experience? :laugh:

Experience guarantees nothing.

A guy with no experience ended a 100yr World Series drought in MLB because of using his own way of evaluating talent and not the ways used for the 100 years before him.

Everything evolves with time. Sometimes experience and age can be a hinderance if it's not used with some current day methods.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
A 36 year old John Ferguson Jr had zero experience . You must be too young to remember those days (no thats not an insult)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad