Confirmed with Link: Leafs fire Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin. Kyle Dubas named Assistant GM

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
You do realise that Shanahan before he went into the NHL Department of Player safety was a part of the NHL Hockey and Business Management program completely geared to help grow, expand hockey and the NHL as a whole right? Millions, and millions of dollars at stake here - - yes, so, what's your point?

For the most part - the NHL tends to recycle the same old people. People get fired, then they get hired and it's like, let's see what I did in this place can work here. Some people get better at it (Lombardi) and some people just do the same old bombastic crap (at EVERY LEVEL) - See, Tortorella, John.

From Coaching to Management , I feel there's this bias that people want 'the best ' we have to have people who had cups, we have to have people who have experience, because it's the LEAFS you know - but there's no evidence or basis that would indicate that that would work here. I'm not saying if the choice was between Babcock and Mr New Guy, or Mr New President vs. Rutherford, or Mr New GM (Dubas) vs. ________________________ I'd always pick the new people, but at the same time I wouldn't dismiss them if they could present to me why they'd be the best hire, or if they were capable of doing the job.

And that's what irks me because people throw out 'zero experience." as if they're not capable of doing anything. Simply because someone hasn't had the opportunity to to X doesn't mean people aren't capable, or knowledgeable in jumping into the fire, and knowing what to do, how to do it, and doing it will.

I personally feel that something that hampers everyone (fans & MLSE) alike is that people get so wrapped up in "Oh, so and so has no experience, we need someone with CUP experience ), but people who has won a cup - hell, even people who have been assistant general managers for ages doens't automatically mean they're capable of doing a good job.

Case In Point:
Brian Burke here.
Dave Nonis Here
Randy Carlyle Here

again, people love to go "MLSE meddle" whatever - go with that drama.

I'm not saying that Dubas should be the next/new guy right off the hop - but I think it's disingenuous to say that he'll suck, simply because he doesn't have the pedigree that most people seem to want and/or have.

that's all.

That's pretty cute. And did you know that the program Shanahan headed off was all funded by himself, and in some circles was looked upon as a flexing of the ego? You may want to look that up, and do some research as to the feedback by some when he started that endeavor. I look forward to you showing where that program is similar to that of being a president of an NHL team?I look forward to your response, but I will save you the time, it doesn't. No one, including myself said Dumas could not do the job, but thrusting a kid under the age of 30 into one of the most important roles in professional sports and in the NHL is not only setting someone up for failure, is completely void of any shred of common sense.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
A 36 year old John Ferguson Jr had zero experience . You must be too young to remember those days (no thats not an insult)

And how did that JFJ era work out anyway? Actually, JFJ did have NHL experience. He got a lot of feedback from his old man, and JFJ was a scout in the NHL for a while before taking the GM job. But yeah, Dubas has had 0 NHL experience but would be a great candidate?! :laugh: Do you know who JFJ's dad was, or are you too young? No insult.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Experience guarantees nothing.

A guy with no experience ended a 100yr World Series drought in MLB because of using his own way of evaluating talent and not the ways used for the 100 years before him.

Everything evolves with time. Sometimes experience and age can be a hinderance if it's not used with some current day methods.

Odd that based on your theory, more and more professional teams don't hire inexperienced GM's. Not that many have a body of work and experience that carry that title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad