Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Name one time a notoriously difficult player had a child who was negotiating a contract for his kid?

Heck. How Many players who are holdouts as RFAs have been millionaires their whole lives?

You are acting as if every other contract is just a piece of cake and no else has to deal with difficult contract situations.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You are acting as if every other contract is just a piece of cake and no else has to deal with difficult contract situations.

They do. I’m not saying they don’t. I’m saying that there are very few multi millionare 20 year olds in the NHL. There are very few who have fathers who have actually agreed to contracts with one team and signed with another.

Pastrnak held out til the last minute. He says he could never even imagine making this amount of money. Willy has grown up with it.

There are degrees to everything. That’s like talking about lindros and the nordiques....

There are many involved hockey parents. Yes. To the degree of the lindros? Probably not

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hmmm but he is.

This is unbelievable and entertaining to see fans all of a sudden downplay just how unreal of a player Marner is since its contract time.
It’s funny when I contrast the contracts that NFL guys sign for vs NHL guys.

Xavien Howard, CB for Miami just signed the biggest deal for a DB in league history. It’s just the way it goes that players who are up for new deals will sign for more than the gifts from years earlier.

Remember you are trying to sign him from age 22 onwards to like 27-30 which are his prime production years. That should cost something. nHl teams need to start being more like MLB and not pay the 30 year old free agents big money until their mid 30’s. Cut the term shorter and pay well if they continue to perform.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hmmm but he is.

This is unbelievable and entertaining to see fans all of a sudden downplay just how unreal of a player Marner is since its contract time.

Just like it's unreal to see how good and valuable the players are when they are due for a contract only to double back afterwords. Last year the main board was pumping Nylander's tires very very hard, now most of those same posters call him a cap dump lol. And they were saying he was worth the 8 he was asking for.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Kane came into the league D1, Marner D2.

Kane had seasons of 72, 70 and 88 points.

Marner had 61, 69 (nice...) and 94.

In Kane's 88 point season (09-10), there were 5.68 goals/game and he finished 9th in scoring.

This year there were 6.02 goals a game. With 94 points Marner finished 11th in scoring.

The difference is that Kane got 28 points in 22 playoff games that year and won the Stanley Cup, where he scored the cup winning goal.

He also won the Calder Trophy in his rookie year.

His 5 year 6.3 million dollar deal signed in 2009 was 11.1% of the cap - Stan Bowman smartly got him signed before he went to RFA.

11.1% of a projected 83 million dollar cap in 2019-20 is 9.13, but that doesn't consider RFA years.

Marner is great and I desperately want to keep him - and he's not worth losing if he wants 10.25 and your offer is 9.7...

But if he wants as much or more than Matthews I'm shopping him.

Especially if Rantanen, who I think Marner is better than by the most paper thin of margins, takes 9.5 or less.

Centers like Matthews get more, and while he is the closest comparable to (future first ballot Hall of Famer) Patrick Kane that doesn't mean he is, was or will be better.

If I'm Dubas, I mean I don't insult him by lowballing him at 8.5, and he's not worth losing over 500k, but my high number is 10.25, and he takes eight years.

If I could get him at 9 I would let him take 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: shortfuze

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Leafs fans must remember this, depth is important but you win with top talent. Try everything to get Marner signed for as cheaply as possible, but don't lose him over 500K or 1M$.

Marner is still good for another 10 years of top-end play and if you traded him away or received picks in exchange by way of offersheet, there's no guarantee that the package of players/picks you'd get in exchange for Marner's services would be as valuable to your franchise as he is.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just like it's unreal to see how good and valuable the players are when they are due for a contract only to double back afterwords. Last year the main board was pumping Nylander's tires very very hard, now most of those same posters call him a cap dump lol. And they were saying he was worth the 8 he was asking for.

That actually didn't happen. No one said he was worth 8.

Unless you mean Leafs fans. Because yes, Leafs fans were pumping his tires very hard.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure Dubas is a very intelligent individual and will make a great GM one day but its kind of funny that the best team the Leafs have had in decades is paying the price for his inexperience.
You do know that Dubas is not 100% responsible for the Leafs current salary cap. Yes he gave the contracts to Matthews, Tavares and Nylander. However it was Lou Lamoriello who gave Marleau and Zaitsev their current contracts which make their cap look worse than it should be.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
There was speculation that Rantanen would be in the 9M range....I would wait to see if he gets done first and work off of that.

I don't think either one gets less than 10.5. They are both pointing to the Mathews contract. I know I'll get the replies of C vs W but both Marner and Rantanen are special players.

Hell to me even the 4 1st round pick payment from an offer sheet is an underpayment in terms of a trade. Just because you aren't guaranteed to get even half the player either one is.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It’s funny when I contrast the contracts that NFL guys sign for vs NHL guys.

Xavien Howard, CB for Miami just signed the biggest deal for a DB in league history. It’s just the way it goes that players who are up for new deals will sign for more than the gifts from years earlier.

Remember you are trying to sign him from age 22 onwards to like 27-30 which are his prime production years. That should cost something. nHl teams need to start being more like MLB and not pay the 30 year old free agents big money until their mid 30’s. Cut the term shorter and pay well if they continue to perform.
If the NHL could learn anything from the NFL it would be non-guaranteed contracts.
And you can't compare MLB to the NHL simply because the supply in MLB is greater than the demand. That doesn't happen in the NHL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kane came into the league D1, Marner D2.

Kane had seasons of 72, 70 and 88 points.

Marner had 61, 69 (nice...) and 94.

In Kane's 88 point season (09-10), there were 5.68 goals/game and he finished 9th in scoring.

This year there were 6.02 goals a game. With 94 points Marner finished 11th in scoring.

The difference is that Kane got 28 points in 22 playoff games that year and won the Stanley Cup, where he scored the cup winning goal.

He also won the Calder Trophy in his rookie year.

His 5 year 6.3 million dollar deal signed in 2009 was 11.1% of the cap - Stan Bowman smartly got him signed before he went to RFA.

11.1% of a projected 83 million dollar cap in 2019-20 is 9.13, but that doesn't consider RFA years.

Marner is great and I desperately want to keep him - and he's not worth losing if he wants 10.25 and your offer is 9.7...

But if he wants as much or more than Matthews I'm shopping him.

Especially if Rantanen, who I think Marner is better than by the most paper thin of margins, takes 9.5 or less.

Centers like Matthews get more, and while he is the closest comparable to (future first ballot Hall of Famer) Patrick Kane that doesn't mean he is, was or will be better.

If I'm Dubas, I mean I don't insult him by lowballing him at 8.5, and he's not worth losing over 500k, but my high number is 10.25, and he takes eight years.

If I could get him at 9 I would let him take 5 years.

Big problem there.

Kane signed his contract on december 2nd.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
pretty sure his agent said he took his discount during the ELC and wont be taking another one

I was curious so I looked in to this and it's true.

Recent 4th overall picks (ELC contract) per CapFriendly:
PoolParty: 10.275
B.Tkachuk: 10.275
S.Jones: 9.675
S.Bennett: 9.675
Makar: 8.563
Marner: 2.775

Strange he didn't get a "standard" ELC deal. His agent is right to put his fot down. Marner made 1/3 of what comparables got already.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I was curious so I looked in to this and it's true.

Recent 4th overall picks (ELC contract) per CapFriendly:
PoolParty: 10.275
B.Tkachuk: 10.275
S.Jones: 9.675
S.Bennett: 9.675
Makar: 8.563
Marner: 2.775

Strange he didn't get a "standard" ELC deal. His agent is right to put his fot down. Marner made 1/3 of what comparables got already.
The direct comparable here is Rantanen, who made about the same as Marner over his elc.

There is NO excuse for Marner making even a PENNY more than Rantanen. Fire rookie Dubas if he f***s this up.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The direct comparable here is Rantanen, who made about the same as Marner over his elc.

There is NO excuse for Marner making even a PENNY more than Rantanen. Fire rookie Dubas if he ****s this up.

Rantanen made almost twice as much (4.975) and was 10th overall.
Marner got shafted on his ELC

As for their next contracts, I agree they should be very similar. Marner might get a little more for leading his team in scoring 2 yrs in a row though.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Those ELC numbers are bogus imo. They way exceed the max salary allowed and include all kinds of bonuses that were never achieve.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Rantanen made almost twice as much (4.975) and was 10th overall.
Marner got shafted on his ELC

As for their next contracts, I agree they should be very similar. Marner might get a little more for leading his team in scoring 2 yrs in a row though.
Maybe I’m missing something, but cap friendly lists “estimated career earnings”, and Rantanen made 200k more than Marner over his elc. In fact, it looks like almost none of those performance bonuses were actually met by any of the players you listed above.

Also... MacKinnon scores more points than Marner and Rantanen. Why should that affect their salaries differently?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can't stop laughing my ass off for this Leafs "perfect" rebuild. :D

Everybody gets overpaid before any success, and Stanley Cup window closes, when there's no cap space to have deep depth for a succesful team. :facepalm:

You don't win anything with overpaid stars + no depth. :surrender

You pretty much have to rebuild again, or prepare for mediocrity, until these 11 million guys are gone. :clap:

Reactions: Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia