Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
3 of those teams have cups wins that are more recent than the Leafs last playoff series win

“Recent history?”’ Is 2 lockouts ago?

If you want to talk history then toronto has more cups then all of them put together......

Thats recent compared to like the civil war...

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I imagine this has been shared since, but for those who haven't seen it, I think its relevant enough to the discussion to be in this thread. Bob McKenzie's take on whether agents see Dubas as an easy target after this season:

The difference is that the top GMs wouldn’t let it drag on through the season.

Part of negotiating is understanding the impact of the negotiation has on the rest of of players, the team, and franchise.

Sure you do not want to look weak, but in time sensitive negotiations the most important issue is just that, time.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The difference is that the top GMs wouldn’t let it drag on through the season.

Part of negotiating is understanding the impact of the negotiation has on the rest of of players, the team, and franchise.

Sure you do not want to look weak, but in time sensitive negotiations the most important issue is just that, time.
So, a top GM would have signed him to a $7.5 or $8-million dollar deal? If thats the case, I'm glad we don't have one of those.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Nope to GM would have obtained a contract similar to what Nylander has now without the holdout.
What leads you to believe any other GM could have signed him to that deal quicker? It was a literal last minute holdout, and you think it was just a matter of Dubas not being convincing enough? What info could possibly lead you to think that is the case?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
“Recent history?”’ Is 2 lockouts ago?

If you want to talk history then toronto has more cups then all of them put together......

Thats recent compared to like the civil war...

Leafs really don't have a real cup. Winning cups in a 6 team league for 40 years isn't impressive at all.

Reactions: Mosby

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
What leads you to believe any other GM could have signed him to that deal quicker? It was a literal last minute holdout, and you think it was just a matter of Dubas not being convincing enough? What info could possibly lead you to think that is the case?

Because while it appears that it was a last minute holdout, it was not. Holdouts almost always occur because the management team did not to proper prep work to start the negotiations well in advance. It’s like anything else the more effort you put in advance the less chance you have of having a problem. Nylander’s contract situation wasn’t hidden until the last minute. It was well known by everyone for a long time. You figure out the demands early so you have enough time to iron out details.

Typically, the reason holdouts occur is due overconfidence in one’s position.

The rare exception is someone going off the deep end, which didn’t occur here.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Because while it appears that it was a last minute holdout, it was not. Holdouts almost always occur because the management team did not to proper prep work to start the negotiations well in advance. It’s like anything else the more effort you put in advance the less chance you have of having a problem. Nylander’s contract situation wasn’t hidden until the last minute. It was well known by everyone for a long time. You figure out the demands early so you have enough time to iron out details.

Your entire post is just make believe. If you don't think Dubas (and Lou before leaving) did their due diligence in trying to sign Nylander before July 1st and then the season, I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs really don't have a real cup. Winning cups in a 6 team league for 40 years isn't impressive at all.

The pens dont have a real cup. Having to have the league gift wrap them stars because they can’t keep the lights on due to poor fan support isn’t impressive at all.

Too bad we don’t decide what criteria counts.

But I guess in 5 years the pens will be crying bankruptcy again

Maybe toronto finally gets its second team.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The pens dont have a real cup. Having to have the league gift wrap them stars because they can’t keep the lights on due to poor fan support isn’t impressive at all.

Too bad we don’t decide what criteria counts.

But I guess in 5 years the pens will be crying bankruptcy again

Maybe toronto finally gets its second team.

That's not how that works. The pens cups came in a 20 team leauge.

I mean anyone with any sense at all can see winning cups in a 6 team league is hardly impressive.

The Worst odds in a 6 team league are better than the best odds today to win a cup.

No cups count until 1968. Even then...12 teams is a bit low too.

1991 is when cups started counting. No reason at all for that year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Name one time a notoriously difficult player had a child who was negotiating a contract for his kid?

Heck. How Many players who are holdouts as RFAs have been millionaires their whole lives?

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Your entire post is just make believe. If you don't think Dubas (and Lou before leaving) did their due diligence in trying to sign Nylander before July 1st and then the season, I don't know what to tell you.

When Dubas is making basic negotiating 101 mistakes like his statement on signing Marner, I have hard time believing he’s not making mistakes elsewhere.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
When Dubas is making basic negotiating 101 mistakes like his statement on signing Marner, I have hard time believing he’s not making mistakes elsewhere.
I'll never understand this. Do you think GMs watched that Dubas interview and thought "hmm why does he need to sign him by July 1st? Why would he think its that important? Oh lord. I can offer sheet him after that! Thanks for tipping your hand, Dubs".

Leafs know there is a danger zone after July 1st. Marner knows it. Other GMs know it. There is no mistake by stating it.

All Dubas did with him comments is reinforce that Marner is a big part of the team, there is very literally zero downside to what he said. Its just the make believe world that you and other people hoping for the Leafs to fail live in.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
If Marner makes it to July 1st he is getting 10.5-11.5 a year with an off sheet. Toronto fans have their heads up their......if they dont think he is getting 10+

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
People expected Matthews to sign an offer sheet for 15 million.

Remember? That was the narrative until February.

First it was. “Nylander will sign a sheet” followed by.... Nylander will sit a year. Followed by Dubas overpaid. Even though the numbers were comparable to what many outlets had said.

Then it was Matthews will sign a sheet to go home. Teams will be lining up for him. He hates babcock and wants to go home

To

Dubas overpaid.

To.

Hahaha can’t wait to see what he gives Marner. To now.... he is playing hardball with the leafs best player.

Who was never the leafs best player. Until Matthews signed

People? or Person? Big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad