Post-Game Talk: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Miller, Suter)

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
We destroyed the Oilers on a franchise level and scored ten goals in a game already this season, winning this game would have just been spoiling us.

Reactions: Caboose

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think it is important that we don't underreact to this crippling blow. See you in the tank thread.

giphy.gif

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Get Myers off this team. He shows ok playing lower minutes for a few games which bamboozles yet another coach that we can rely on him to not play like complete chaos against better teams and he folds.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
first two goals against were lucky, then the next two were just poor defensive efforts. didn't help that they did nothing to capitalize on the two back to back powerplays in the second.

oh well. had to happen eventually.

Reactions: Nomobo and Kryten

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
.600 is the likely cutoff for playoffs at year end
Not the loss it's how tied and just let game go after 1st that is not what's gotten wins this season tocchet better do some ball kicking after tonight's game

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
good win for the leafs. they were physical all night. i think they were really happy reaves was out and made a statement to their coach to keep him out.

canucks had too many power plays early and the top guys were gassed and 5x5 was messed up. they never really got going 5v5. and leafs made it tough the power play overload used to happen to the sedin core as well. didn't help that pettersson is just so off for a guy leading the league in scoring.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought the team overall played decent despite the loss...not sure why some are overreacting. Hughes-Hronek was still good I thought and skated better than against Ottawa, can't blame them for some weird plays and bounces (and honestly bad goaltending). Pettersson was bad, but I don't think Pettersson has played well with the puck this whole year...he just gets points every game somehow.

What frustrated me was the forecheck, especially in the top 6 (the bottom 6 actually forechecked okay). In particular, Boeser and Kuzmenko (and to some extent PDG) were not getting to any pucks, and Pettersson was just waving at pucks a lot instead of actually getting on a guy. That said the shots were 32-22 Vancouver, we had lots of good looks, bounces just went the other way tonight. The Leafs defense also played well I thought, probably their best performance of the year lol.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Second game in a row where the Canucks just looked like the slower team. Canucks had a chance to bury the Leafs on the PP, but despite scoring twice, they squandered too many chances.

The only disappointment about this game was that the Leafs were on a back-to-back and the Canucks were supposedly rested and ready.

Although they both picked up an assist, it was another 'off night' for the Hughes-Hronek pairing. And some strange, scrambly goals got behind Demko.

But you can't win 'em all, particularly on the road.....they have a chance to salvage the trip tomorrow afternoon in Montreal.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
At least I can take consolation in Gregor (league minimum salary, signed off PTO) went 1G1A while Lafferty (making $400k more against the cap and costing a 5th - a 5th!) went scoreless.

I hate always being right.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Get Myers off this team. He shows ok playing lower minutes for a few games which bamboozles yet another coach that we can rely on him to not play like complete chaos against better teams and he folds.
Hughes was as bad when It counted too tonight team was not together or working hard enough across the board

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
At least I can take consolation in Gregor (league minimum salary, signed off PTO) went 1G1A while Lafferty (making $400k more against the cap and costing a 5th - a 5th!) went scoreless.

I hate always being right.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Calm down Francis at least the 4th line isn’t costing 12 million anymore

The little dick energy is big with him

He strikes me as the dude that describes himself as “the devils advocate” in debates

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
This game really highlighted the weaknesses in our defensive lineup. When Hughes and Hronek are kept in check, there's an absence of a third Dmen who can step up and compensate.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad