GDT: Leafs@Capitals 8 PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DXTaCoTXUAAcmWR.jpg:large

Maple-Leafs-Stadium-Series-Sweater-1-1040x572.jpg

Saturday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals

Leafs and Capitals square off outdoors at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Saturday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals | Toronto Star

mitch.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x658.jpg

Mitch Marner has taken over the Leafs' scoring lead with Auston Matthews hurt. (Frank Gunn / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Fri., March 2, 2018

NAVY-MARINE CORPS MEMORIAL STADIUM
FACEOFF:
8 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Ovechkin/Marner
Alex Ovechkin is three goals away from 600 for his career. When he gets there, he’ll be the 20th in NHL history to hit that milestone. His 39 goals again lead the NHL. He has led the NHL in goals six times . . . In the continued absence of Auston Matthews (shoulder), Mitch Marner has taken the Leafs’ scoring lead with 53 points (17 goals, 36 assists). Marner had nine goals and nine assists in 14 games in February.
NEED TO KNOW
This outdoor game marks the first NHL contest in Maryland since Nov. 26, 1997 — the Capitals’ final game at U.S. Airways Arena, located in Landover . . . The Capitals are in a dogfight at the top of the close Metropolitan Division standings . . . Washington’s Jakub Vrana has gone 25 games without a goal. In that time, he has six assists and is a minus-4 . . . T.J. Oshie of the Caps has gone 28 games without an even-strength goal . . . Washington went 6-6-2 in February.
UP NEXT
Monday, at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

Maple Leafs prepared for Stadium Series without Matthews

Look for players to step up against Capitals

by Mike Zeisberger @Zeisberger / NHL.com Staff Writer

Maple Leafs prepared for Stadium Series without Matthews

cut.jpg

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- This was going to be the next big stage in the ascending career of Auston Matthews.
A prime-time game on Saturday night.
National television audiences on both sides of the border.
Alex Ovechkin on the opposing team.
[RELATED: Complete Stadium Series coverage]
A game at the U.S. Naval Academy, an iconic American institution for a native son like Matthews, who grew up in the Phoenix area.
It was a script worthy of Hollywood.
But reality got in the way.
Matthews, who injured his shoulder against New York Islanders on Feb. 22, will be unavailable to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs against the Washington Capitals on Saturday as part of the 2018 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SNE, SNO, SNP, TVAS, NHL.TV).
But the absence of their best-known player has not phased the Maple Leafs. Led by coach Mike Babcock, Toronto sees this game as an opportunity to showcase the talents of a deep team that features forwards such as Mitchell Marner, 20, William Nylander, 21, Kasperi Kapanen, 21, and defensemen Morgan Rielly, 23, and Travis Dermott, 21.
cut.jpeg

Marner scores off Nylander's pass

"We're not trying to say we don't miss Auston," Babcock said. "He's an elite player and we're a better team with him, without any question.
"In saying that, when you put your sweater on at night, whoever is dressed, in my opinion, we have enough to win and we have to find a way to do it."
On many nights, the Maple Leafs have been able to do just that. With Matthews out of the lineup this season, Toronto has gone 7-4-2.
Following the game against the Islanders, Toronto defeated the Boston Bruins 4-3 at Air Canada Centre. A subsequent trip through the Sunshine State saw the Maple Leafs play well in a pair of games that could have gone either way: a 4-3 shootout loss against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Feb. 26, and a 3-2 overtime loss against the Florida Panthers on Feb. 27.
Having compiled four of a possible six points since Matthews' injury, the Maple Leafs know they can be successful without No. 34.
"Look, he's a big hole to fill," Marner said. "We need him. Don't let anyone tell you we don't.
"But we have a deep team here and guys are stepping up. We think we have a good shot at winning every time we step out on the ice."

Last edited:

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Just get the 2 points. Ovechkin can score a hatrick for his 600th goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzonna

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Weather update: Currently in DC, driving over to Annapolis in a bit. It is sunny and windy but the forecast says its going to go away by the afternoon, definitely before gametime, so this game is pretty much happening imo (at least I hope so lol). Anyone else here for the game?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
3 games over 14 days, no reason why they shouldn't get points in all 3.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i'm not the biggest fan of outdoor games anymore, apparently the weather sucks.

Apparently it’s cleared up nicely. Wind has died down, which was the main issue.

But overall yeah. The Winter Classic was fun, and the Centinnial in Toronto was good for obvious reasons, but a random outdoor game in March against Washington? Doesn’t make sense to me

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
i'm not the biggest fan of outdoor games anymore, apparently the weather sucks.

I feel the same way...especially since they're talking about the conditions and with the warm(er) weather, you know the ice won't be that great. We just don't need any groin pulls

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I feel the same way...especially since they're talking about the conditions and with the warm(er) weather, you know the ice won't be that great. We just don't need any groin pulls
I would've preferred McElhinney in this game but hopefully everything will be fine. Hopefully ice holds up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad