Friedman: Leafs calling on G Linus Ullmark

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why not, it's only been 18 years, they're do to win one sooner or later.
Of course. Change is the only certainty we can count on. That is why Buffalo keeps trying to win as well. We can't change the past so we concentrate on changing the future.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Bad news in Andersen's case is dependent on your perspective. I doubt there's a single Leafs fan that isn't hoping he hits the LTIR for the remainder of the season.

Right?

I mean, isn't Campbell our starter next year? That's what it feels like right now, because it ain't Andersen (and I'm a Freddy fan)

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

Highly doubt Adams would move a "foundational piece" for a mid-round pick+cap dump which is about all I'm seeing from Leafs fans

More like "Adams will likely want to keep". I don't see Ullmark wanting to stay.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
More like "Adams will likely want to keep". I don't see Ullmark wanting to stay.

Why? Nothing Ullmark has ever said or done has indicated he doesn't enjoy playing in Buffalo or that he wouldn't want to stay if Buffalo pays him market value. (Before you say that no player would indicate that, look at things guys like Risto, Hall, et al., have said.) He'd also be the unquestioned incumbent starter in Buffalo. And, for the 4,000th time in this thread, look at Buffalo's record when he plays. The Sabres clearly have to upgrade their backup situation, and I think they'll go hard after guys like Bernier and Raanta for that role, but the "OMG, why would he want to re-sign with that team?!" stuff is a bit over the top when you consider they play at a fringe playoff pace when Ullmark is in net.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why? Nothing Ullmark has ever said or done has indicated he doesn't enjoy playing in Buffalo or that he wouldn't want to stay if Buffalo pays him market value. (Before you say that no player would indicate that, look at things guys like Risto, Hall, et al., have said.) He'd also be the unquestioned incumbent starter in Buffalo. And, for the 4,000th time in this thread, look at Buffalo's record when he plays. The Sabres clearly have to upgrade their backup situation, and I think they'll go hard after guys like Bernier and Raanta for that role, but the "OMG, why would he want to re-sign with that team?!" stuff is a bit over the top when you consider they play at a fringe playoff pace when Ullmark is in net.
Let's not confuse being professional with wanting to stay.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I mean, Andersson get's a lot of unnecessary flack on here for sure, but what makes you think if the Leafs traded for Ullmark it would be because they envisioned him as the backup? Just step out from behind the homer glasses for a second or two.

do you think for a second that the Leafs would play Ulmark ahead of Campbell?
Campbell is 9-0-0 with a .944 save % and has only allowed 3 goals twice this season.

AND, as soon as Anderson is healthy, he likely reclaims the #1 spot or goes into a platoon system regardless.

Ulmark would be the backup/insurance, and hopefully Hutch would just get waived, unless we need to keep him to expose a goalie.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Let's not confuse being professional with wanting to stay.

Reports were he wanted more than the one-year deal he received last year but that he understood a long-term deal was less likely at that time due to the pandemic. If he wanted out, he could've insisted on just knocking out a one-year deal to take him to UFA. The one-year deal was the organization's decision. Obviously, it backfired, but if he wanted a deal with term that does not indicate a desire to escape Buffalo at the first opportunity.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

The goalie UFA market can be pretty soft, and the number of open spots are limited. Buffalo might be the only team offering something like Markstrom's deal last offseason, and he'll decide to stay as a result.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The goalie UFA market can be pretty soft, and the number of open spots are limited. Buffalo might be the only team offering something like Markstrom's deal last offseason, and he'll decide to stay as a result.

buffalo isn’t offering a contract more than 4 yrs in length

UPL is in year 2 of ELC this is his 21 yr old season
2 yrs of waiver exemption
1 yr nhl backup
Next year competing to start

they have another goalie who finished freshman yr in college. When UPL is waiver exempt thry likrly sign the college goalie thrn in 2 seasons after he could be the back up.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I mean, Andersson get's a lot of unnecessary flack on here for sure, but what makes you think if the Leafs traded for Ullmark it would be because they envisioned him as the backup? Just step out from behind the homer glasses for a second or two.
It was a joke. Hutch is garbage.

We're keeping Ullmark.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reports were he wanted more than the one-year deal he received last year but that he understood a long-term deal was less likely at that time due to the pandemic. If he wanted out, he could've insisted on just knocking out a one-year deal to take him to UFA. The one-year deal was the organization's decision. Obviously, it backfired, but if he wanted a deal with term that does not indicate a desire to escape Buffalo at the first opportunity.
No, it indicates wanting long term financial stability. Now he can have that with any team in the NHL.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Most players prefer to play for good teams. Most goalies prefer to play in front of decent defensive systems and players. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is no chance that he re-signs, but I think everyone needs to acknowledge that Ullmark might be the most in-demand goalie available in free agency this summer. If that is the case, wouldn't the odds of him signing in Buffalo go down considerably?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Most players prefer to play for good teams. Most goalies prefer to play in front of decent defensive systems and players. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is no chance that he re-signs, but I think everyone needs to acknowledge that Ullmark might be the most in-demand goalie available in free agency this summer. If that is the case, wouldn't the odds of him signing in Buffalo go down considerably?
No you are just basing it on good team ,bad team.Sabres have a great young core.Is it out of the question they will be good again real soon? Also do they like the community neighborhood schools etc? And lastly he is guaranteed the number 1 spot not guaranteed on another team.My point is we don't know can't assume,everyone is different.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No you are just basing it on good team ,bad team.Sabres have a great young core.Is it out of the question they will be good again real soon? Also do they like the community neighborhood schools etc? And lastly he is guaranteed the number 1 spot not guaranteed on another team.My point is we don't know can't assume,everyone is different.

I'm basing it on a lengthy history of UFA's preferring to sign on good teams when the option is there. There are other teams where he would be guaranteed #1 next season, unless he got there and pulled a Matt Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00