Confirmed with Link: Leafs Buying Out Grabovski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is this not Carlyle mis-using his players once again? By minute 14:59 you should realize who to put out for the rest of the game especially when the pressure is on. Your post still supports Grabos sentiments that Carlyle is an idiot lol.

Krejci played 20:58 and was 15% and -2 in game 5. What a bum why did they even dress him for game 6. :sarcasm:

Acting like it was all grabo's fault we lost game 7.

edit- game 5 vs hawks, not us.

I'm not blaming Grabovski, I'm merely pointing out that when you put him in a pretty important defensive role in a critical situation, you're not going to be rewarded for your efforts.

Secondly, if Grabovski can only thrive when he's playing regular season run and gun hockey, I think you have a problem.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If garbo plays more he is being miss used, if he plays less he is being missed use. Boy its hard to not miss use him then :laugh:.

People argue that Grabovski is not a two-way player, yet our coach believed he was and gave him an important checking role.

These same people argue that Carlyle is good, yet their boy Carlyle disagreed with them all the way to game 7 by giving Grabovski defensive assignments.

It is obvious Grabo was mis-used.

He's top six or bust with that contract. Bolland is cheaper and better at 3C. If we bought out Grabo and Bozak is still 1C on opening day I will not be pleased. Nonis better have a bigger picture planned.

Nonetheless all the Grabo hate is pathetic. I wish him the best and hope he pots 30 next year wherever he ends up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If garbo plays more he is being miss used, if he plays less he is being missed use. Boy its hard to not miss use him then :laugh:.

Seems like Grabovski can only thrive if he's played between 18-19 minutes a game, playing with good offensive linemates, where he receives an adequate amount of offensive zone starts, while given a bit of slack on defensive responsibilities during the regular season. What about the temperature of his Gatorade?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The argument that Bozak could win us game 7 with his faceoff ability is a JOKE. What about his last game, taking a stupid penalty and almost blowing it, the losing his D-zone faceoffs in the last minute of the game, forcing us to scramble out a victory.

Get a clue.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hey guys,

I read along frequently... Hardly every post.

Intrigued by the buyout of Grabo... I've been a fan of his in the past. Unfortunately he never did live up to that contract he signed.

With that said... I just can't see why Nonis would buy him out unless there was something fairly big on the horizon... We lack offensive depth down the middle.

I was looking at some of the teams that are at/near the cap limit(as per capgeek.com):

Philly has 500k of cap space with a 23 man roster(full roster w/ no goalie).
SJ has 2.6mil of cap space with a 20 man roster(3spots)
Pitt has 4mil of cap space with a 19 man roster(4spots)
Minny has 4.9mil of cap space with a 21 man roster(2spots)
Carolina has 6.4mil of cap space with a 17 man roster(6spots)

Maybe there is a trade coming... Nonis did say there was lots of trade chatter. He also said(earlier this week) that he didn't know what this team would look like in 48hrs

SJ has Pavelski
Minny has Koivu
Carolina has J.Staal(unlikely), and J.Skinner

Maybe they're options? Maybe they're available?

I just can't see these buyouts happening simply to go with Bozak, Weiss, etc, as our #1 center.

Thoughts?

Pav, eh! doubt it, he and couts seem to be their future

Koiv, not a chance in heck they move their only C that would rank as a quality 1/2

J.Stall, never for the same reasons you had reservations.

Skinner, hrmm now that has a chance (for atleast being on the market) but his injury history(type) makes him almost worth more to Caro then what they would want in return.

As for the Grabo buyout, eh, 15m to the 7 RFAs would only have left 4m to fill 2 roster spots from the UFA market.

TBVH, the math works that Grabo had to go just to be able to go after clark and weise.

9.5m cap to chase Clark,Weise(or 2- 4.5m ish UFAs) and a AHL call up.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
On a side note, Mirtle is pissing me off with his Twitter. Dude needs to stop getting such a hard on for Grabovski's CORSI. Jeez.

If we bring Bozak back he has a point but otherwise just let it be, damn.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not blaming Grabovski, I'm merely pointing out that when you put him in a pretty important defensive role in a critical situation, you're not going to be rewarded for your efforts.

Secondly, if Grabovski can only thrive when he's playing regular season run and gun hockey, I think you have a problem.

Grabovski isn't a defensive player. When people say "Grabovski is a good two-way player," they're pointing out that when Grabovski is on the ice 5v5, the Leafs have the puck more often than not, which is a pretty good way to cut down on your opponent's scoring chances. That does not mean you put him out when you're turtling, because the guy can't play straight defense; he's not Jay McClement.

Seems like Grabovski can only thrive if he's played between 18-19 minutes a game, playing with good offensive linemates, where he receives an adequate amount of offensive zone starts, while given a bit of slack on defensive responsibilities during the regular season. What about the temperature of his Gatorade?

Excelling when you're put in a position to excel doesn't make you a bad player.

See Dion Phaneuf.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
People argue that Grabovski is not a two-way player, yet our coach believed he was and gave him an important checking role.

These same people argue that Carlyle is good, yet their boy Carlyle disagreed with them all the way to game 7 by giving Grabovski defensive assignments.

He's top six or bust with that contract. Bolland is cheaper and better at 3C. If we bought out Grabo and Bozak is still 1C on opening day I will not be pleased. Nonis better have a bigger picture planned.

Nonetheless all the Grabo hate is pathetic. I wish him the best and hope he pots 30 next year wherever he ends up.

The few "good riddance, it's obvious now that he has attitude problems" posts I've seen already are sadly reminiscent of the sour grapes we heard from Montreal fans way back when.

I don't know what it is about Grabovski that's so polarizing. It seems people either love his skill and speed and work ethic, or hate his game and think he's got "tunnel vision."

Let's keep things in perspective. Grabovski had a bad half-season, magnified by having been given a bad contract. Why was everybody so much more forgiving of Kulemin? Their peak and subsequent low are so similar, just with Kulemin's low lasting quite a bit longer.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

It was disheartening to see Grabovski fail in his role, yes. He proved he cannot be a reliable checking center. Nobody can deny that. Not even Grabo. However I do agree with Grabo when he says he was mis-used. Hopefully he re-finds himself elsewhere.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yes, Grabovski is a top six or bust. And he was a bust in that role. What do you do with a guy like that? Play him more than he deserves? No, you dump him.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
On a side note, Mirtle is pissing me off with his Twitter. Dude needs to stop getting such a hard on for Grabovski's CORSI. Jeez.

Truth hurts?

He also noted how garbage +/- is as a stat to analyze a player's contributions to his team.. Grabovski/Schultz dynamic

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

I stopped following him a long time ago. When he wants to impose his opinions it becomes a little too much for me

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It was disheartening to see Grabovski fail in his role, yes. He proved he cannot be a reliable checking center. Nobody can deny that. Not even Grabo. However I do agree with Grabo when he says he was mis-used. Hopefully he re-finds himself elsewhere.

What role would he have thrived in? Grabovski is a classic case of an expansion team scorer. When your team gets better, he will lose his plum role and can't help you in other regards.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON

i kinda agree he was miss used but what not like Coach purposely missed used him. Bozak and Kadri were better option as 1 and 2nd line C. So basically if u want to play grabo u had to play him 3rd line checking role no?. it sucks that we had to buy out a good top six Centre but he was way overpaid and unfortunately no one was will to give up assets for trade. i have no doubt he will bounce back but not here.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Seems like Grabovski can only thrive if he's played between 18-19 minutes a game, playing with good offensive linemates, where he receives an adequate amount of offensive zone starts, while given a bit of slack on defensive responsibilities during the regular season.

Does that not discribe most NHL forwards of Grabovski's abilities? At their best on a balanced line with balanced icetime?

Are Kulemin and MacArthur really that good offensively? In hindsight it would seem that their centre made them look better than they were and have since regressed back to the 3rd line type of offensive play they showed both before and after, no?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The argument that Bozak could win us game 7 with his faceoff ability is a JOKE. What about his last game, taking a stupid penalty and almost blowing it, the losing his D-zone faceoffs in the last minute of the game, forcing us to scramble out a victory.

Get a clue.

Bozak's injuries at that point severely impaired his ability to win the faceoffs.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Grabovski isn't a defensive player. When people say "Grabovski is a good two-way player," they're pointing out that when Grabovski is on the ice 5v5, the Leafs have the puck more often than not, which is a pretty good way to cut down on your opponent's scoring chances. That does not mean you put him out when you're turtling, because the guy can't play straight defense; he's not Jay McClement.

Excelling when you're put in a position to excel doesn't make you a bad player.

See Dion Phaneuf.

Exactly. And Grabovski is always first forward back on the back check even when playing in a scoring role. This hate is absurd. Hate his contract ( which is now gone), not him. One lockout shortened season in a role he was not suited for and everyone jumps off the Grabo wagon.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Truth hurts?

He also noted how garbage +/- is as a stat to analyze a player's contributions to his team.. Grabovski/Schultz dynamic

Lol what hurts? I liked Grabo, but long-term I don't really see a place for him here.

Mirtle is taking it too far, to the point of obsession. He's been going back and forth with fans all day.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I don't agree with Stephen too often but on this one I do. Grabo is an exciting player at times and is best suited for run and gun. Carlyle knew this and that's why he did not play much. If we were going to play run and gun Wilson would still be here.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Grabo under performed all season long. He gave us one stellar year...the year his contract was up and that is all. I will say he tried damn hard, and gave a ton of effort even after being pasted by all the Bruins; however his comments about Carlyle were unprofessional, to say the least. He has a right to be upset, but be professional. I didnt see Komisarek lashing out when he got bought out. As well (not to be racist) but this is why Burke strayed from Russian players. They are known to have an attitude, and some never can adjust to the North American style. Such players as Kovalev Kositsyn, Kovalchuk to name a few all have had attitude issues..when things are good they act like they are the sole reason and party it up and when things arent going well they lash out. Look at when Russia beat Canada and they had to land the plane because of how they were acting.

In my opinion Nonis did the right thing. He has a plan obviously and he fixed Burkes two big mistakes. Grabo was getting almost what Vinny just signed to in Philly...and we all know Grabo isnt close to that kind of player. I have said it on these boards since draft day and I will say it again. We as leaf fans have wanted to see a big productive off seasons, and sign some big name UFAs or make some big deals...this is the off season it will happen

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
I will reserve my judgement on this until I see who they sign with the extra cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad