Confirmed with Link: Leafs Buying Out Grabovski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
So in summation....the past two Leafs coaches and managers were wrong and a poster on an internet discussion board is right.

29 NHL GM's and coaches wouldn't offer a bologna sandwich for a "top six center" being paid top six center money...but despite this....Grabo is a stud.

Grabovski assisted on two Kessel goals...therefore he would do better on the first line than Tyler Bozak....

And no one has any idea how Grabovski could have been handled better without jeopardizing the team's success ....other than trading him at last year's deadline of course.

That's basically the sum of the Grabovski defence team's arguments.

I said his contract was bad, what more do you want? Obviously nobody would trade for him.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Nailed it.

And nailed it again.

Grabovski and the words "two-way play" never come up. Only in the minds of amateur internet stats nerds who don't understand hockey.

Bozak on the other hand...

Wait a minute...weren't you just going on and on about how the wisdom of an NHL coach is undeniable evidence that Grabovski wasn't good enough to play on our first line?

But that same coach used him in a role to which he was completely unsuited and didn't stop, even in game 7 of a playoff series?

:facepalm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He played on the checking line.

This is not news.

Why he was playing on the checking line is because he lost his job in the scoring role.

This is what the defence team cannot accept...and is dancing around.

They also dance around the fact that when Grabovski was entrusted with 20:30 minutes to play in a Game Seven, he had a face off percentage of 25% and a -3. If that's what $5.5 million. What's sad is Patrice Bergeron makes $500,000, and David Krejci $250,000 less.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wait a minute...weren't you just going on and on about how the wisdom of an NHL coach is undeniable evidence that Grabovski wasn't good enough to play on our first line?

But that same coach used him in a role to which he was completely unsuited and didn't stop, even in game 7 of a playoff series?

:facepalm:

Oh you don't agree with Bomber? You must be one of those internat stat democrat sissy nerds.

COLTON ORR

GO LEAFS

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kulemin's probably the Leafs' most reliable defensive forward and MacArthur was originally used as a defensive player before coming to Toronto as well.

They were good as a unit. All three of them were excellent in all three zones. And since then Kulemin has not been "probably the Leafs' most reliable defensive forward." This is another myth that just gets repeated over and over. Two season's ago he was absolutely awful defensively. This year he was alright but poor in the Boston series.

That depends on what you define as "better". I'm of the opinion that if Bozak was playing game 7, he would have been out on the ice in the last 10 minutes in Grabo's spot and we'd probably have won that game, simply because Bozak can win faceoffs. People put that down when talking about Bozak, which I find hilarious considering that was one of the reasons Boston was able to come back at all. All it would have taken in that last 10 minutes was ONE. FACEOFF. WIN.

Grabovski's faceoff % was better than Bozak's in that series. And he was being given far, FAR more defensive zone faceoffs. You'd almost think you don't have a clue what you're talking about...

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Good luck in the future Grabo but that rant was unprofessional and unacceptable coming from our (former) highest paid forward and a guy that was supposed to be a leader.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Good luck in the future Grabo but that rant was unprofessional and unacceptable coming from our (former) highest paid forward and a guy that was supposed to be a leader.

It was evident prior before Grabo's rant that he wasnt the brightest star in the sky and perhaps has a child-like mentality

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

To be fair, he did thank the players and equipment staff? :laugh:

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As much as I have been disapproving Nonis's moves lately (drafts, Spott etc), I think this deal makes sense. I have never liked the extension by Burke in the first place. And I believe Nonis couldn't even get a 7th round pick for Grabo speaks volume.

You don't waste buyouts on 1 year deal (Komi), but I believe there was a gentlemen agreement in place before.

With the exception of our prospects now I dont think we have much as trading assets. I hope Liles has some trade value and we can get draft picks back for him.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Kind of late to the discussion, but I think Grabovski's now (if he didn't before) has a pretty clear-cut reputation for being a head case; this is why Horcoff can fetch a return and Grabovski couldn't.

Having said that, think some team will take a flyer on him but 1 or 2 year deal tops. My money's on him going to the KHL though.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

Wait a minute...nobody ever said he was a leader. I loved Grabbo's rant because that's who he is. He's a passionate guy.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
They were good as a unit. All three of them were excellent in all three zones. And since then Kulemin has not been "probably the Leafs' most reliable defensive forward." This is another myth that just gets repeated over and over. Two season's ago he was absolutely awful defensively. This year he was alright but poor in the Boston series.

Grabovski's faceoff % was better than Bozak's in that series. And he was being given far, FAR more defensive zone faceoffs. You'd almost think you don't have a clue what you're talking about...

Bozak was injured so no one was expecting him to have great FO #s anyway. although i admit thats one area grabo has improved. He is almost average face-off guy now better than bellow average when he first started.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think that rant has cemented in some fans mind that this was the right decision. Don't need that kind of resentment and me first attitude in the locker room

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
They also dance around the fact that when Grabovski was entrusted with 20:30 minutes to play in a Game Seven, he had a face off percentage of 25% and a -3. If that's what $5.5 million. What's sad is Patrice Bergeron makes $500,000, and David Krejci $250,000 less.

Is this not Carlyle mis-using his players once again? By minute 14:59 you should realize who to put out for the rest of the game especially when the pressure is on. Your post still supports Grabos sentiments that Carlyle is an idiot lol.

Krejci played 20:58 and was 15% and -2 in game 5. What a bum why did they even dress him for game 6. :sarcasm:

Acting like it was all grabo's fault we lost game 7.

edit- game 5 vs hawks, not us.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Is this not Carlyle mis-using his players once again? By minute 14:59 you should realize who to put out for the rest of the game especially when the pressure is on. Your post still supports Grabos sentiments that Carlyle is an idiot lol.

Krejci played 20:58 and was 15% and -2 in game 5. What a bum why did they even dress him for game 6. :sarcasm:

Acting like it was all grabo's fault we lost game 7.

If garbo plays more he is being miss used, if he plays less he is being missed use. Boy its hard to not miss use him then :laugh:.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I think that rant has cemented in some fans mind that this was the right decision. Don't need that kind of resentment and me first attitude in the locker room

Dude...Grabovski complained exactly zero times while he was a Leaf. He had no attitude in the locker room, he played as hard on the 4th line as he did at any time in his career.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Oh you don't agree with Bomber? You must be one of those internat stat democrat sissy nerds.

COLTON ORR

GO LEAFS

:laugh:

Have to agree. bunjay made a very valid point there.

I'm really sad it had to end this way. Feel bad for the guy, he's getting married tomorrow and he probably feels like ass right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad