Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #2

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I honestly think Finn is going to be one of the best defensemen from his draft, over players like Dumba, Rienhart,... etc.

Outside Morgan the two best we have right now are The Goat and Finn easy. I was very very happy about Those two. With Morgan it was obvious so I was not as stoked but These two definitely.

Not sure how the dinosaur is edging out the young dynamos as far as prospects go.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
If I look at both upside and likelihood of reaching that upside, I'd put:

Rielly
Finn
Gauthier
Colborne
Lievo
Percy
Biggs

(I'm hoping I got all the "i"'s and "e"'s in the right order :nod:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Rielly
Finn
Gauthier
Colborne
Lievo
Percy
Biggs

Close. Leivo. :)

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Did not get on in time to vote for number one but would have picked Rielly. Next for me would be Gauthier. I liked what I saw from Colborne in the playoffs but I don't think Leaf management will have patience with him and trade him which is too bad. I do think Gauthier has upside offensively if he is willing to put in the effort.

Could you imagine getting a true first line Centre and having these two huge guys as your 2nd and 3rd, just see Nonis getting rid of Colborne, ah well

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Did not get on in time to vote for number one but would have picked Rielly. Next for me would be Gauthier. I liked what I saw from Colborne in the playoffs but I don't think Leaf management will have patience with him and trade him which is too bad. I do think Gauthier has upside offensively if he is willing to put in the effort.

Could you imagine getting a true first line Centre and having these two huge guys as your 2nd and 3rd, just see Nonis getting rid of Colborne, ah well

I don't see Nonis trading Colborne at all, unless it's for a definate upgrade at centre. He's going to be a very solid player - not great, but very good.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Are people really this high on Colborne? Dude is 23... Barely a prospect and shows no signs of being more than a third liner. There are 4-5 guys on this list who project to be more impactful players

Development wise he's pretty much ready for the NHL. In my opinion I wouldn't put Fred, Finn, Percy, Leivo, Biggs et al ahead of him because their potential at this point in time doesn't trump his development + potential (I think you're fairly underrating him in this aspect).

You being an avid Jays fan, wouldn't you put, say, Marcus Stroman ahead of Daniel Norris in terms of prospect rankings? Norris has probably the 2nd highest potential behind Aaron Sanchez but Stroman is a much more polished player. I basically want to see Fred play his 2nd year before ranking him 2nd behind Rielly. I'd currently have Finn ranked ahead of him too.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Are people really this high on Colborne? Dude is 23... Barely a prospect and shows no signs of being more than a third liner. There are 4-5 guys on this list who project to be more impactful players

Potential yes, but Colborne is already a successful pro. That counts for something.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

That would be awesome.
I've noticed a few people here noting that Colborne might not work out because he should be established by the age of 23. I decided to take a look at the top 70 scoring forwards from last season and note at which age they scored at least 35 points or more in the NHL.

As Colborne is now 23, and we should expect him to get a good long look in the NHL this year, my count in brackets is of how many players reached 35 points by the age of 22.

1 - 25 \ 2 - 18 \ 3 - 18 \ 4 - 20 \ 5 - 19 \ 6 - 21 \ 7 - 26 \ 8 - 20 \ 9 - 19 \ 10 - 20
(8/10)

11 - 23 \ 12 - 23 \ 13 - 19 \ 14 - 22 \ 15 - 21 \ 16 - 20 \ 17 - 19 \ 18 - 19 \ 19 - 23 \ 20 - 21
(7/10)

21 - 22 \ 22 - 26 \ 23 - 20 \ 24 - 22 \ 25 - 27 \ 26 - 18 \ 27 - 19 \ 28 - 18 \ 29 - 21 \ 30 - 22
(8\10)

31 - 19 \ 32 - 20 \ 33 - 23 \ 34 - 23 \ 35 - 18 \ 36 - 23 \ 37 - 20 \ 38 - 23 \ 39 - 22 \ 40 - 21
(6\10)

41 - 21 \ 42 - 22 \ 43 - 21 \ 44 - 21 \ 45 - 22 \ 46 - 25 \ 47 - 18 \ 48 - 24 \ 49 - 23 \ 50 - 23
(6\10)

51 - 21 \ 52 - 24 \ 53 - 20 \ 54 - 22 \ 55 - 20 \ 56 - 20 \ 57 - 20 \ 58 - 24 \ 59 - 19 \ 60 - 20
(8\10)

61 - 24 \ 62 - 19 \ 63 - 18 \ 64 - 19 \ 65 - 23 \ 66 - 23 \ 67 - 20 \ 68 - 21 \ 69 - 19 \ 70 - 20
(7\10)

The consistency is worth noting. In every set of 10 players there are at least a couple who made it by the age of 23 or older. Most do make it sooner. I would also argue that many other organisations (Edmonton?) would have rushed Colborne into the NHL full time at least 2 seasons ago.

When the Maple leafs acquired him 2.5 years ago, he was ranked #2 among Boston Prospects on HF boards behind ONLY Tyler Seguin. This was at the Trade deadline.

The following fall, he was gangbusters in the AHL, putting up 2PPG through the first month. He played 10 games in the NHL, putting up 5 points. During this time, or shortly after his return to the AHL he was injured and continued to play. His production fell off as a result. He should have gone on the DL, but he didn't.

It was questionable as to if he would be healed in time for the beginning of this past season. He played and got off to a REALLY slow start. One might say because of the lingering injury. This is why his final PPG on the season is less than one. From about late November onward, he was consistently a PPG player in the AHL.

That is worth noting. Kadri was a PPG player. Of course, so was Keith Aucoin. It's no sure bet, but Aucoin still manages to be a 30 point player in the NHL, oh, and Colborne is a foot taller and about 50 pounds heavier. That doesn't always matter if you're talking a giant 4th line bruiser, and it didn't stop St. Louis, but Colborne is a high skill player and as such, it should help.

So, in conclusion, Colborne is certainly pushing normal at 23, but he should by no means be discounted as a potential top 70 scorer in the NHL. It would be a mistake if the leafs give up on him before giving him a good long look this season (and frankly next as well).

Who you vote for here depends on how you weigh the criteria. Gauthier, Finn, Biggs, Percy etc all look good, but Colborne is much farther along. Will some of these other prospects be better players than Colborne? Perhaps. Big Joe Bolborne though, still has 30 goal potential. These last 2.5 years should not discount the valid reasons why he sat right behind Tyler Seguin on Bostons depth chart.

#2 overall? That's up to the voting. But he deserves to be among the top prospects. At least for this off-season.

Last edited:

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Finn; then Gauthier

I'm not a big Colborne fan; then again, I have actually watched him play quite a bit. There is just no consistency; sometimes I want to go on ice and shake him; while yelling: "WAKE THE HECK UP!"

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

Rielly
Finn
Gauthier
Colborne
Lievo
Percy
Biggs

You nailed it; but I might swap Biggs and Percy.

I'm also a big D'Amigo fan; so I would feel bad not listing him. I would also include McKegg. After these guys; the prospect depth gets a bit thin.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
If Gauthier and Colborne are our best offensive prospects, we're going to need help soon.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Come on guys, it's Gauthier over Colborne easily. Colborne has had 5 years since being drafted to crack an NHL roster and still hasn't been able to. He's made strides and I'm not calling him a bust, but at 23, he is not a standout prospect. I would put both Gauthier and Finn ahead of him. Gauthier will be a gem for us, I've been looking at him and hiping we pick him for a month now. Just watch folks. Our very own Patrice Bergeron.

He will be on team Canada this winter at the WJC and will turn some heads, just wait and see.

tpc77

Feb 25, 2010
Halifax
If Gauthier and Colborne are our best offensive prospects, we're going to need help soon.

Why?

3 year of our top 6 forwards are 25 or younger and 2/3 have shown PPG potential with the other showing 30G-60P potential (Kessel/Kadri/JVR)

1 Other is only 28 and has at least 5 years left of prime hockey, if not more and he has shown PPG potential.

That's 4 covered for 5-7 years at least.

Add in the offense coming from Gardiner, Rielly, Phaneuf on the back end.

It's up to Nonis to decide how to fill the other 2 top six spots with complimentary offensive/defensive producers.

IMO, the bottom 6 is covered for the foreseeable future with Kuli/Bolland/Biggs/Leivo/Ashton/Ross/D'amigo/Mclement coming through.

If some of the pieces don't end up with us, we have to trust an asset of equal or greater value to the team replaces them.

I know we need that #1C, but much of our offensive firepower is taken care of for a while and still has significant upside. There are very few holes to fill for scoring....

Not to mention there is always a chance a prospect from the past 5 years surprises us and fills a top 6 need.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Yes, Bolborne is not some 18 year old spring chicken, but he's missed over a year of development. Over the past two seasons with the marlies, when healthy, he's produced at the same clip as Frattin and Kadri. Gauthier seems like a perfect fit, but a PPG AHL centreman who is 6'5 and still developing is something to be excited about. Those who can't see this will be pleasantly surprised I think. Just like all those people who wanted Kadri traded last summer.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
This is a pretty hurting collection of prospects for our #2.

Pretty sad that everyone's putting Colborne down. He's going into his fourth year pro. Definitely not our second best prospect- nor should he be on any other team in the league.

I would have put any one of Finn, Leivo, Gauthier or Biggs but I went with Gauthier because at this point he's a bit more of a wild card than the others.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

Dunno, i'd say Spencer Abbott has an awesome release and some real play-making ability. I wouldn't be surprised if those pucks also go in the net at the NHL level... pass or shot.
So i'd add him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UdTVhXpyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOjHOx4psE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L77s_veiSBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdbvYDndDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSqI51oUZM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad