Post-Game Talk: Leafs Blank Stars 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just to be clear, that's the third most takeaways and the fourth most giveaways.

I sometimes find the 'miscellaneous' stats quite skewed by home team counters, so I like to look at the 'road' stats.

Oddly enough, on the road we have the 17th most takeaways per 60 and the 20th most giveaways per 60. At home we've the fourth most takeaways and third most giveaways.

At home, 11.58 TkA/60 and 14.48 GvA/60.
On the road, 6.47 and 6.54.

Are we really that much better (and worse) at home, or is it just a trigger-happy bean counter at SBA?
it does work both ways though doesn't it, the Leafs takeaways on the the road are quite conservative while giveaways are apparently magnamonious:laugh:

which is just as Cal Clutterbuck is a one man wrecking crew at home, but just an average 4th liner on the road

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner has the track record so I would agree with that. Robertson is cheaper, a bit younger so perhaps more potential upside so if they were offered Marner in a trade for Robertson they might say no. But then again, the fact that he has less of a track record means there's greater potential downside as well so yeah, I'd say Marner is easily more valuable despite the higher pricetag.
Just commenting on the single game impact. Marner had a better game by a lot

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just commenting on the single game impact. Marner had a better game by a lot
I misunderstood, my bad. Yeah it wasn't even close, must have been an off game for Robertson. I did a doubletake when they showed his numbers during his streak, I haven't seen him play during that time but he's obviously been playing at a very high level.

That image of Marner on the PK last night without his stick is going to stay with me for a while. As good as he's been the last couple of years, I think he's even better now and playing the best hockey of his life. If this is the version of Marner we're going to be seeing for the next few years, then we're in for some good times. And of course the playoffs, I can't wait to see if this is the Marner that we will see there in the spring (not to jinx anything, but I think it will be).

Reactions: WillyC and Zacman

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Interesting perspective. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised people are still going on bout this. It's looking so far like the best trade Dubas has ever made, so complaining about how it should have been better seems really odd. Since this was posted, a few people have explained why this disappointment is unwarranted, I'll just say that I agree with them and leave it at that.

I've said it before, other than Vasi, there isn't a goalie in the world I would be comfortable signing long term for top dollar and this is just further evidence of the chances you take when signing a goalie. Most of these goalies have been mentioned as guys we should target in a trade, that just underscores what a steal the Murray deal looks to be. Instead of giving up assets, we were given assets to get him, he's killing it so far and they're helping pay his salary as well. Sweet!

Just the other day I had an argument with someone who said that if we offered NY Marner and Murray for Panarin and Shesterkin, no way NY takes that deal. I said I'm not sure Toronto takes that deal because while on the surface, it may seem like Shesterkin>>>>>Murray which more than makes up for the gap between Marner and Panarin, goalies are voodoo and Murray looks so good, a few months from now, we might think that Murray>>Shesterkin.

Of course the gap between Marner and Panarin seems bigger than it did even a week ago, lordy that boy is playing some grade A hockey out there. :)
100% agreed.

I came around rather quickly once I thought about the Murray trade as compared to the UFA singings or other trade targets. It just seemed to be a good risk reward, as that trade allowed enough to sign Samsonov so the Leafs had 2G's with pedigree. Once Samsonov was signed, I felt a lot better about the Murray trade too.

Last edited by a moderator:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
it does work both ways though doesn't it, the Leafs takeaways on the the road are quite conservative while giveaways are apparently magnamonious:laugh:

which is just as Cal Clutterbuck is a one man wrecking crew at home, but just an average 4th liner on the road
I'm not sure what you mean.

Giveaways and takeaways are both about half as much on the road as they are at home.

Clutterbuck over the last few years is averaging 14.89 hits/60 on the road and 15.84 hits/60 at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeder Keon

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Timmins Country, Let's Ride
1670441917027.png

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
100% agreed.

I came around rather quickly once I thought about the Murray trade as compared to the UFA singings or other trade targets. It just seemed to be a good risk reward, as that trade allowed enough to sign Samsonov so the Leafs had 2G's with pedigree. Once Samsonov was signed, I felt a lot better about the Murray trade too.
Makes you wonder if he doesn't do it if Samsonov wasn't available 🤔 he was granted early permission to talk to teams I'm pretty sure I remember correctly.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The thing I liked a ton when it comes to risk reward is that we got two guys who both had the potential to be a solid #1 goalie in the playoffs. My simple logic was that two lottery tickets is better than one, looking damn good so far.

I put a guy on ignore and then a few months later, I happened to look at this place on my phone, which I almost never do and where I am not logged in. The first thing I noticed was this guy quoting me and arguing with me. I thought to myself dude, I haven't responded to a single post of yours in months, WTF? So I put him on unignore and started debating with him very carefully as to not get any infractions and it got so tedious, we were put on mutual ignore by the mods, exactly what I was hoping for!

Then a while later I get a PM from a mod saying that this clown is complaining about being put on mutual ignore, he wants to be taken off forced ignore. Again, WTF? Apparently he just can't stand life without being able to argue with me, like seriously? I just about fell off my chair laughing. And since the mod was asking for my opinion, I said um, no thanks, life on ignore is pretty good. :)
The 2 lottery tickets was exactly what made me feel somewhat comfortable and optimistic. And the pedigree - one has 2 cup rings, and the other was a mid-first round pick who was younger than Kallgren.

Definitely made me feel much better than last season. I kept hoping and waiting for Campbell to turn his season around, but it just kept spiraling. And then the playoffs happened. That was the cut bait moment for me. I was initially taken aback, but that quickly changed as the market unfolded.

As for the rest....it's just oddly obsessional in both cases. I'm retired and I wouldn't bother to waste so much of my time researching what another poster does, looking for a way to do......what exactly? It's actually creepy to think that I am in his/her thoughts so much of the day.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Makes you wonder if he doesn't do it if Samsonov wasn't available 🤔 he was granted early permission to talk to teams I'm pretty sure I remember correctly.
Good point. I wonder about that too. It's almost like it went right from the Caps non-tendering to signing with the Leafs as soon as he could. I suspect that Dubas must have asked for permission to speak to Samsonov, and knew he would be open to signing with the Leafs and the dollar figure needed to get the deal done..

Reactions: Its not your fault

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The 2 lottery tickets was exactly what made me feel somewhat comfortable and optimistic. And the pedigree - one has 2 cup rings, and the other was a mid-first round pick who was younger than Kallgren.

Definitely made me feel much better than last season. I kept hoping and waiting for Campbell to turn his season around, but it just kept spiraling. And then the playoffs happened. That was the cut bait moment for me. I was initially taken aback, but that quickly changed as the market unfolded.

As for the rest....it's just oddly obsessional in both cases. I'm retired and I wouldn't bother to waste so much of my time researching what another poster does, looking for a way to do......what exactly? It's actually creepy to think that I am in his/her thoughts so much of the day.
Yeah pedigree, I forgot to mention that but that was obviously a big positive as well.

Creepy is right. That's why I was so happy I was able to achieve mutual ignore, the very idea of some guy I was no longer paying any attention to constantly quoting me was ... annoying. And that why it felt like a sweet victory to achieve mutual ignore and why it was so hilarious that he whined to the mods about it. Creepy ... and hilarious.

Reactions: kb

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
View attachment 618286

We have only had 40+ shots against twice.

We have average 30 shots against and 31 shots for. I suppose shots against increase when we are leading and the other team is trying desperately to tie the game

Plus other circumstance like injured D and penalties.
Good one. I guess it pays to look at stats. lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am confused. We have 4 injuries and when they come back the depth is amazing.

A top 6 forward is the need.

I want them to add both.

It's great that the defense is holding together but having 4 D men out is still never ideal,so Yeah I want another d man in Luke Schenn or Nick Jensen mold

As for a forward that's where the big addition should be.

Tank, ROR, Timo Meier, to a lesser extent Sean Monahan, Maybe they can pluck Brock Beosser who knows.

But I want 1 of each because what this run should be proving to you, me and everybody else is that you can never have to much defense.

So yes by all means go get the forward but also add to the defense because chances are you are going to need it.

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
I want them to add both.

It's great that the defense is holding together but having 4 D men out is still never ideal,so Yeah I want another d man in Luke Schenn or Nick Jensen mold

As for a forward that's where the big addition should be.

Tank, ROR, Timo Meier, to a lesser extent Sean Monahan, Maybe they can pluck Brock Beosser who knows.

But I want 1 of each because what this run should be proving to you, me and everybody else is that you can never have to much defense.

So yes by all means go get the forward but also add to the defense because chances are you are going to need it.
Honestly you seem to live in some sort of bizzaro land.

What would you offer for anyone you proposed?

You do realize the leafs can't afford to give another first?

Propose some trades, not just names.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Honestly you seem to live in some sort of bizzaro land.

What would you offer for anyone you proposed?

You do realize the leafs can't afford to give another first?

Propose some trades, not just names.

You said they needed a top 6 forward which I agree with and then I listed top 6 forwards that will likely be on the trade market.

Where I don't agree is saying they can't trade a 1st, they are top 5 in the NHL they can and they should.

There is not a single pick or prospect that should be deemed untouchable.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I wonder if the Dallas board has a thread called "when did you know it was over for this groups of coach killers?"

Reactions: WillyC

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Murray is way better than I ever thought he would be. I’m cautiously optimistic he won’t be like Fredy and Campbell who came crushing and burning near the end of the season.

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
You said they needed a top 6 forward which I agree with and then I listed top 6 forwards that will likely be on the trade market.

Where I don't agree is saying they can't trade a 1st, they are top 5 in the NHL they can and they should.

There is not a single pick or prospect that should be deemed untouchable.
Dang you wanna go all in eh?

Gotcha that's where we differ.

I think if there's a good value trade for a top 6 great otherwise stick with this team.

Appreciate you explaining!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Not even close, this was the best worse game they played all year. The PIM were lazy/ unfortunate, on the positive side that was a character building game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only realistic way to avoid Tampa and Boston is to win the division.
Yes but you want to be close to lead in last game or two just in case Tampa drops down to 4th then best let Boston win division so they play each other round 1 .. and we can play Detroit/Florida .. bottom line we don't want Boston running away with 1st and the Tampa and us separating from pack .. then we have no control over our finish whether it is 2nd or 3rd who cares we know we are playing them .. same problem can happen in reverse if we surge to 1st place and Tampa slips to 4th .. it will require some sly coaching moves to make sure we don't end up with Tampa in round 1

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dang you wanna go all in eh?

Gotcha that's where we differ.

I think if there's a good value trade for a top 6 great otherwise stick with this team.

Appreciate you explaining!

Absolutely I'm all in, especially considering Matthews is extension eligible in less than 6 months this isn't the time to f*** around.

That being said let me be clear in this to.

If you CAN address the top 6 without trading the 1st by all means do it, I'm not against keeping our 1st because I do understand a strong pipeline is necessary.

I'm just don't believe anything should be untouchable.

In fact I think you can address the forward depth without trading the 1st.

It doesn't sound like Brock Beosser will get much.

And I don't think Monahan gets a 1st either.

Reactions: Zacman

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yes but you want to be close to lead in last game or two just in case Tampa drops down to 4th then best let Boston win division so they play each other round 1 .. and we can play Detroit/Florida .. bottom line we don't want Boston running away with 1st and the Tampa and us separating from pack .. then we have no control over our finish whether it is 2nd or 3rd who cares we know we are playing them .. same problem can happen in reverse if we surge to 1st place and Tampa slips to 4th .. it will require some sly coaching moves to make sure we don't end up with Tampa in round 1
I would want Tampa in rd 1. If you think they are the team to beat, better get them before they start rolling. Realistically it should not matter who you play.

Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad