Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Habs. ROR first point - Woll first win this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The first time in a number of years that our 3rd and 4th lines were quite dominant.
I know it is the Habs, but can you imagine if Knies can come in and do well as a big 4th or even 3rd line force how much that would work. Jarnkrok or Kerfoot out, Knies in.
Wow.
Now and extra D and goalie and baby I can imagine a parade.
Unless Kerfoot is traded I just don't see him out of the lineup. Same with Jarnkrok.

I have to believe it is ZAR who becomes the extra guy.

I do however believe Kerfoot will be moved as Dubas continues to add at the deadline

Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Aw hell. Don't tell me I will have to deal with freebase bears next. They are already here eating my garbage when they get the munchies.
Nah just fentynal bears, but no worries they're very sedate, and more often than not, dead!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
beautiful win

she's a keeper, was able to watch the game in the background :)
You love to see it.

I was dating a girl in like 2014 (f*** I'm getting old) and we ordered pizza and watched the Leafs/Lightning game at my place. Half way through the first she asks if the 'TB' meant they were from Thunder Bay. It didn't last of course, for other reasons, but that made me laugh.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i for one believe they need to change that PP, i know its good in the regular season but that graphic about having not scored in a game 7 in like 6 attempts is super telling.

we need 2 real units with some different elements, it sounds crazy but theres too much "skill" on the top line atm, nobody does the dirty work. JT needs to park his ass in front of the net and stop playing behind the net.

we should try

pp1:
ROR/matthews/marner/lily/rielly

pp2:
JT/willy/bunting/sandin/timmins?

that gives each unit a shot from the point, a net front guy and skill on the wings.

thats just my opinion though.
I've been saying that for a long time - JT doesn't screen well.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You love to see it.

I was dating a girl in like 2014 (f*** I'm getting old) and we ordered pizza and watched the Leafs/Lightning game at my place. Half way through the first she asks if the 'TB' meant they were from Thunder Bay. It didn't last of course, for other reasons, but that made me laugh.
My wife not only watches about half the games with me, but even came to watch me in the 45+ beer league final (we won).

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I've been saying that for a long time - JT doesn't screen well.
ye, the globetrotters PP just doesnt work in the playoffs, and rielly doesnt make quick enough reads either, everything is telegraphed. its like the raptors transition game, when it slows down and goes half court we look lost even though we are a very good regular season team. the game just changes in the post season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just wanted to give a shoutout to Sandin who played a REALLY strong game last night. He has the best small area passing game on the team, just made so many smart plays to absorb pressure. Still think he's very under appreciated.

He didn't get assist on Bunting's second goal but he earned one after making a nice little skilled feed at the blue line to ROR that got them the zone entry.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Still would like to add a d

Last night second period the Leafs gave up 3, 2 on 1s

Luckily it was the lousy Habs. They couldn't bury any
First period i don't know what Holl was doing and let one of the Habs just get a semi breakaway

If those are kuch and Stamkos, they would have made us pay

Want to see that get that cleaned up
Getting more/different D won't change the 2 on 1's.

The Leafs coaches want the D to activate and take chances to keep the puck in the opponents end. It's not the D forgetting how to play D. That's why you rarely see a D sitting after an ill-timed pinch.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Getting more/different D won't change the 2 on 1's.

The Leafs coaches want the D to activate and take chances to keep the puck in the opponents end. It's not the D forgetting how to play D. That's why you rarely see a D sitting after an ill-timed pinch.

No if we get a 9th NHL D our D rating goes up and that means we allow less shots against.

The only real hope is that we get back to the high support Rielly-less game in the playoffs, we have the personnel to make it work through the lineup with no gaps now.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My wife not only watches about half the games with me, but even came to watch me in the 45+ beer league final (we won).
Mrs koho is a Leafs fan and watches just about every game with me, in fact she likes hockey so much we often go see our local JrB team a couple of times a month.:thumbu:

As for the game last night I'm going to start with the post game presser.

First off Joe Woll seems exactly like that kid in high school you couldn't help getting into trouble with, not really bad stuff just goofy stuff that might get you some extra laps in gym or a detention or two in science class. I have so far liked his game he tracks the puck very well and his foundations seem really solid.

Two ROR is unlike anybody else on the roster, in fact we haven't had a guy like him since Dougie. The intensity comes off of him like waves of heat when you open up the wood stove to add a new log. We have too many guys who just seem like they have better things to do, ROR seems like hockey and success in hockey is the only thing worth doing. Maybe he's the tide we've that been
waiting for that lifts all the boats. His line last night was awesome, they created all kinds of chances and generally manhandled the Canadiens for most of the night. If I were Keefe I'd leave these guys together, JT is a good enough player that playing on the wing will become simple for him, that line will be immense.

Thirdly Acciari along with the inclusion of Kerfoot to the bottom six makes them a whole lot better and puts them in the Lightnings orbit, not saying equals per se but a 6 that on some nights can carry the team when they really need to, and that lesser teams will have to plan how to defend them.

These improvements brought by the top 12, takes a lot of pressure off of the blueline and gives them a much improved feel.

Sandin and Liljegren are maturing at such a blazing speed, that when they make their in game adjustments they seem like seasoned pros in making seemless adjustments.

I know it was Montreal, I get that, but they always come to play when it's Toronto, and it's been that way since the 60s. The Leafs didn't have the night off they had to work their arses off to take control and hang on to it then. Until the Leafs got #4 the Canadiens were still in it.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There was not a single moment where I thought they would lose that game and that includes when Montreal took the lead.

They played with an energy I haven't seen in years you could tell the trade hyped them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad