Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat Boston 3-2: No.. I'm Serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Was that Phaneuf's worst game of the season, in anyone else's opinion? So many failed clearing attempts, almost lackadaisical stick use in the defensive zone, etc. It wasn't pretty.

I think we're too hard on dion at times

He's logging MASSIVE minutes against top players league wide. Boston's top line was pressuring them all night. He made some mistakes but some good ones as well, no glaring ones that lead to chances.

I thought he handled the assignment vs Boston ok. But he's definitely been better this year

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Was that Phaneuf's worst game of the season, in anyone else's opinion? So many failed clearing attempts, almost lackadaisical stick use in the defensive zone, etc. It wasn't pretty.

He had his bad moments.
He seems slow to react at times and reads the play wrong/bad decision making.

Fatigue or that's just him?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He had his bad moments.
He seems slow to react at times and reads the play wrong/bad decision making.

Fatigue or that's just him?

I think it's self-induced fatigue. There was one shift in particular last night where he had multiple chances to clear the zone but he couldn't, so the Leafs got hemmed in their zone for about 90 seconds. It was a total train-wreck.

If he could just get the job done the first time around he wouldn't have to be out there making more bad plays due to fatigue, y'know?

I'm honestly one of those people who brings up his quality of competition and minutes all the time to defend him, but I'm just calling last night as I saw it. He needs to be much better on Monday.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
I think it's self-induced fatigue. There was one shift in particular last night where he had multiple chances to clear the zone but he couldn't, so the Leafs got hemmed in their zone for about 90 seconds. It was a total train-wreck.

If he could just get the job done the first time around he wouldn't have to be out there making more bad plays due to fatigue, y'know?

I'm honestly one of those people who brings up his quality of competition and minutes all the time to defend him, but I'm just calling last night as I saw it. He needs to be much better on Monday.

I hope reilly and Gardiner pan out well, so we can put Phaneuf in a 2a role, he is struggling doing 25 minutes every game.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

He's had much worse already this year. I'd say that Phaneuf gives us an excellent performance 1 in 3 games at most, is average for one, and terrible for one. The guy has zero consistency and this idea that everything can be excused by how many minutes he plays doesnt add up. He plays the same number of minutes in the games where he looks fantastic, like a real #1 go-to guy. He puts in a lot of low intensity minutes on the PP and at even strength where he does what we might euphemistically call his "conserving energy" routine.

SteveV*

Let the record show the Grabo hatefest thread had its last comment yesterday at puck drop. Too funny!

Disgruntled Observer*

Pie in the shy bro. Kessel is almost out scoring him and Hamilton. Lets say we combine Fraser's totals Kessels and find we have the better combo. Does it really matter any more.

Oh my god.

Another way to look at it....
Hamilton is an 18 year old ROOKIE defenseman, while Seguin is in his THIRD nhl season.

And they collectively STILL have more points than the 8 year veteran in his prime that they were traded for.

Utterly humiliating.

Disgruntled Observer*

your right, he has been very effective on the back check, he is definitly a different phil under carlyle, and he is maturing as a player, people tend to forget that he is only 25 still. with the emergence of kadri, the kessel trade doesnt look that bad to me anymore,

maybe minus hamilton but who knows.

In the game thread, Kessel's line was being bashed for the entire game. There's numerous posts asking for him to be benched.
Not a single positive thing about Kessel was said.

And then he made one... one... ONE... backcheck, and then everyone started talking about how Kessel is an entirely new player who is defensively responsible.

You can't make this stuff up...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
oh DO....enjoy the win.

164440110_slide.jpg

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
In the game thread, Kessel's line was being bashed for the entire game. There's numerous posts asking for him to be benched.

And then he made one... one... ONE... backcheck, and then everyone started talking about how Kessel is an entirely new player who is defensively responsible.

JVR's production has slowed down, one of the reasons is because he is playing on the Bozak & Kessel line.

Once Kessel gets the puck 5 on 5 in a tight checking game there is not a whole lot of creativity. He wont go in the corners to win battles and he ususally ends up taking a useless shot.

He does play well on the ppl where he moves the puck well and finds the open man but 5 on 5, meh.

JVR is effective when the puck is around the net for him to effective, and with Kessel, they don't get a lot of sustained pressure. Usually attack-->shot-the puck-->no puck retrieval and get hemmed in own zone.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The Devils used this tactic successfully for years on their way to a number of cups.

The strategy is just to sit back and take your opponents punishment until they give you a small opportunity and then swoop in for the KO.

The only way this 'strategy' works is if you have a serious elite goalie.

leafspring*

Oh my god.

Hamilton is an 18 year old ROOKIE defenseman, while Seguin is in his THIRD nhl season.

And they collectively STILL have more points than the 8 year veteran in his prime that they were traded for.

Utterly humiliating.

Hit a nerve did i?

leafspring*

I don't even post here during games.by the minute posts aren't the best possible way to get yer cues/read on the team i'm thinkin. Posting by the minute is like inviting yourself to a mob scene lol.

He beitch slapped Seguin on that hit man admit it.:eek:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Oh my god.

Utterly humiliating.

Two players that have collectively more points than one can be a fair trade?

I guess in that sense JVR+Franson>Malkin in his prime

Please teach me more about hockey. I beg you, educate us mortals

mikebel111*

I really think we need a dman to help out dion. Someone like morris

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
:cry::cry::cry:

You are such a pessimistic little baby it isn't even funny..

You are eagerly awaiting the Leafs to go on an extended losing streak so that you can be the king of the losers and say "I told you so"

It must be hard to wake up every morning when this is the kind of mindset that you exhibit day-in, day-out :shakehead

1967... 1967 ffs, and no playoffs for 7 straight years... 7 ffs. I can understand him being just a tad pessimistic. Maybe, just maybe, we could cut him some slack.

Disgruntled Observer*

Two players that have collectively more points than one can be a fair trade?

I guess in that sense JVR+Franson>Malkin in his prime

Please teach me more about hockey. I beg you, educate us mortals

But... malkin has been injured a substantial part of the season...
i don't understand how a comparison can be made...
I just don't... but... um...
I need to change the subject before I ****ing snap.

And yes, when two players who are MUCH BETTER defensively, and in their 1st/3rd nhl seasons outscore our 8 year primed veteran who is a one dimensional scorer...
it is a disaster of legendary proportions.

Who would I rather have? Um... let's see.
The rookie and 3rd year defensively sound players who score more points? Or the 8 year seasoned veteran in his prime defensive liability who scores less points?
Seems pretty ****ing simple to me!!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think we're too hard on dion at times

He's logging MASSIVE minutes against top players league wide. Boston's top line was pressuring them all night. He made some mistakes but some good ones as well, no glaring ones that lead to chances.

I thought he handled the assignment vs Boston ok. But he's definitely been better this year

Too hard on Dion? Well, maybe if he took a salary cut we could all cut him some slack., but, for 6.5 million he better play near perfect for that over payment.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago

And yes, when two players who are MUCH BETTER defensively, and in their 1st/3rd nhl seasons outscore our 8 year primed veteran who is a one dimensional scorer...

The rookie and 3rd year defensively sound players who score more points? Or the 8 year seasoned veteran in his prime defensive liability who scores less points?
Are you still crying about something from 4 years ago? Should we still cry about the Kurvers trade?

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
People like YOU are the babies.

You get HUMILIATED in a pathetic trade that will go down as a LEGEND of futility... yet you can't admit it. You're too much of a baby.

Here's a hint... when you need to cling to PATHETIC excuses such as "our 8 year one dimensional vet is almost outscoring a rookie defenseman and 3rd year player"... just give up.

ENOUGH of the lame excuses for that pathetic humiliating trade.
If people stop lying/defending/rationalizing that abomination of a trade, I will stop talking about it as well.
Until then, I will NEVER read a post that defends it without responding with the truth. If you don't want to hear the TRUTH about that apocalypse, then tell everyone else to stop trying to defend it.
Just accept it. It was one of the worse things to EVER happen.
Just accept it, and move on. No more lame excuses.
Sounds like you're the one who needs to move on. The GM who made the trade isn't even here anymore.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

:laugh::laugh:

Keep beating yourself up bud. You just keep proving that you are using flawed logic to evaluate the trade

When Seguin can score 4-5 straight 30+ goal seasons and Hamilton plays more than 3rd pairing minutes against the other teams top lines, I will agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad