Leafs at Jackets

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think coach sends wrong message to Elvis.
If you google trade rumors for Elvis, there are some saying that he and the Jackets have already agreed it is better for him to have a fresh start somewhere else. The way they play him this year aligns with that, as Tarasov has been getting the starts lately. It is probably a matter of money as to why he is still here. I think the Jackets have already moved on.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's not clear to me that anything has changed with Elvis in the last couple weeks. Tarasov is here and they intend on playing him to see what they have. I'd rather waive Tarasov and use Cleveland to get Tarasov up to speed. With his play I doubt he'd get claimed and I wouldn't be too upset if he did.

I could see them going for an Elvis trade if something workable pops up, but I'm sure all parties know that trades like that for big contracts are hard to pull off and might not happen.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Tarasov should just stay in Columbus and figure it out there. He would get more playing time there. Seeing he got 3 of the last 4 starts, they may as well just have him play there. It would be easier for the goalie coach to work with him in Columbus also. They have pretty much all the prospects they are serious about already in Columbus, so just let them figure it out there since the season is already a wash. Let Cleveland be, there really isn't anyone here the Jackets are counting on this year. There may be a couple guys to look at for next year, but they are in a better environment in Cleveland. If there are injuries, fine, call people up, but otherwise just go with what is there.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Tarasov should just stay in Columbus and figure it out there. He would get more playing time there. Seeing he got 3 of the last 4 starts, they may as well just have him play there. It would be easier for the goalie coach to work with him in Columbus also. They have pretty much all the prospects they are serious about already in Columbus, so just let them figure it out there since the season is already a wash. Let Cleveland be, there really isn't anyone here the Jackets are counting on this year. There may be a couple guys to look at for next year, but they are in a better environment in Cleveland. If there are injuries, fine, call people up, but otherwise just go with what is there.
And hes sucked in all of them. Thats what an AHL team is unfortunately. You cant sabotage an NHL team with a goalie that bad undoing any good they do in front of him, especially after going through it last year. The season may be lost in terms of playoffs but pride is still a thing and we cant have these kids going through excessive losing year after year

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And hes sucked in all of them. Thats what an AHL team is unfortunately. You cant sabotage an NHL team with a goalie that bad undoing any good they do in front of him, especially after going through it last year. The season may be lost in terms of playoffs but pride is still a thing and we cant have these kids going through excessive losing year after year
LOL I read Monsters' post as "don't sabotage your AHL team with a goalie that bad".

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He's played 3 games. There is no hurry, and it is pretty hard to sabotage a last place team. Sending him to Cleveland won't really help much. And besides, if he comes down and plays 2 good games, everyone will be saying to call him back up. He is better off where he is.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Update on Kuraly

Kuraly, whose stick was driven into his abdomen while taking a hit late in the first period of the Blue Jackets’ 4-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs at Nationwide Arena, was released from Grant Medical Center late Saturday night without being admitted.

Todd Sharrock, the Blue Jackets’ chief spokesman, said Kuraly, 30, was further evaluated at the hospital and “everything looked good,” before he was sent home.

Hedger apparently can’t mention Kuraly without bringing up the fact he is from Columbus.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This is the only video I've seen of the incident.

It's still not completely clear. Did he just get his stick jabbed into his stomach and it knocked the wind out of him but they just were being extra cautious in case it caused something internal based on the amount of pain he was in initially?

It doesn't sound like he tore, strained or damaged anything major based on what they have reported.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's not clear to me that anything has changed with Elvis in the last couple weeks. Tarasov is here and they intend on playing him to see what they have. I'd rather waive Tarasov and use Cleveland to get Tarasov up to speed. With his play I doubt he'd get claimed and I wouldn't be too upset if he did.

I could see them going for an Elvis trade if something workable pops up, but I'm sure all parties know that trades like that for big contracts are hard to pull off and might not happen.
At this point I do not think that Elvis or Tarasov are the long term solution for this team.

It didn't make sense at the time why Jarmo kept touting Elvis as the "best" goalie outside of the NHL and then gave him that contract. It's similar to the Wennberg contract. Yes Elvis and Wennberg showed a brief flash of talent but it was such a short period of time...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's played 3 games. There is no hurry, and it is pretty hard to sabotage a last place team. Sending him to Cleveland won't really help much. And besides, if he comes down and plays 2 good games, everyone will be saying to call him back up. He is better off where he is.
I dont think anyone will be asking for him to come back up. The only goalie there we care about is Greaves at this point who would still clearly be Clevelands starter

Reactions: majormajor

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I dont think anyone will be asking for him to come back up. The only goalie there we care about is Greaves at this point who would still clearly be Clevelands
Nah, if he comes here and plays well, people will want him up. People will also not care about Greaves if he becomes average in Columbus. Again, most of the reason people like Greaves is because of a real small sample size in the NHL.

This is the first AHL season he is playing like a bonafide starter, and people want to rush him up. He should stay here and have the opportunity to build a solid season, and then next year take a shot at the big club.

Greaves really shouldn't go to the shitshow in Columbus this year. Give Tarasov chances to show what he can do, maybe he may surprise people and figure it out.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Nah, if he comes here and plays well, people will want him up. People will also not care about Greaves if he becomes average in Columbus. Again, most of the reason people like Greaves is because of a real small sample size in the NHL.

This is the first AHL season he is playing like a bonafide starter, and people want to rush him up. He should stay here and have the opportunity to build a solid season, and then next year take a shot at the big club.

Greaves really shouldn't go to the shitshow in Columbus this year. Give Tarasov chances to show what he can do, maybe he may surprise people and figure it out.
But thats not what I said. I dont want Greaves up full time yet, he can stay down there in develop with Tarasov. Or Tarasov can be claimed, dont really care honestly. As much as Jarmo makes the NHL seem like a development league its not but the AHL is. Tarasov put up .915SV%in Cleveland in his brief stint but I dont think anyone cares about that when hes been horrible in the NHL. Many of us bought into the potential for a few years with no results but I think people are tired of waiting for something that may not come. I know I am atleast. A waiver claim Martin who was seen as terrible has been significantly better

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jet greaves shouldn't be rushed but he also shouldn't be considered the future. He's pretty short for a goaltender and as with anyone, once he makes the rounds of the league people will figure him out. He's winning games because Cleveland is winning games but his GAA and sv% isn' amazing.

Oscar Dansk has a better SV%.

I think Jet could become a reliable NHL backup but in No Way should we be considering him the future of CBJ goaltending. We've generally ignored goaltending in recent drafts and our goalie pool is quite poor no matter how many centers and defensemen we've drafted.

Elvis was awarded the contract he has because he played like a guy who deserved that when it was given. Since then, he and the team have regressed immensely. He has improved. The team in front of him (aka the defense), not so much.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
But thats not what I said. I dont want Greaves up full time yet, he can stay down there in develop with Tarasov. Or Tarasov can be claimed, dont really care honestly. As much as Jarmo makes the NHL seem like a development league its not but the AHL is. Tarasov put up .915SV%in Cleveland in his brief stint but I dont think anyone cares about that when hes been horrible in the NHL. Many of us bought into the potential for a few years with no results but I think people are tired of waiting for something that may not come. I know I am atleast. A waiver claim Martin who was seen as terrible has been significantly better
He's played 24 games at the NHL level over 3 seasons. 17 games played behind an awful team tanking for a draft pick. Hardly a fair shot at being an NHL goalie. As bad as his numbers were last season, he was still better than Elvis. I have no problem showing some patience with him this year. Its a little early to give up on him.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Jet greaves shouldn't be rushed but he also shouldn't be considered the future. He's pretty short for a goaltender and as with anyone, once he makes the rounds of the league people will figure him out. He's winning games because Cleveland is winning games but his GAA and sv% isn' amazing.

Oscar Dansk has a better SV%.

I think Jet could become a reliable NHL backup but in No Way should we be considering him the future of CBJ goaltending. We've generally ignored goaltending in recent drafts and our goalie pool is quite poor no matter how many centers and defensemen we've drafted.

Elvis was awarded the contract he has because he played like a guy who deserved that when it was given. Since then, he and the team have regressed immensely. He has improved. The team in front of him (aka the defense), not so much.
I'm not considering him as the future, but if he earns it, so be it. I don't see what height has to do with it, he's taller than Saros, and he has been pretty good. I think Jet could be a solid backup.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Kuraly thing is still baffling. They *stopped the game* (i.e. something very serious / life threatening) and...the update is it's basically nothing?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The Kuraly thing is still baffling. They *stopped the game* (i.e. something very serious / life threatening) and...the update is it's basically nothing?
Could have been a number of things like wind knocked out or a bad abdominal bruise but if I guys drops to his knee in the tunnel people will take it serious. Just sounds like they used every resource available as a precaution and luckily it wasnt as bad as people thought intially. Was only 18 seconds left in the period too so was easy enough to pause the game

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Kuraly ended up up at Grant which I found interesting. I guess I had assumed serious injuries would go to OSU because it is easy to get to on 315 and Grant is on the other side of downtown. Grant is a Level 1 Trauma Center. Grant is part of Ohio Health and the CBJ have a relationship with Ohio Health. I have been told if you get shot in Columbus, the best hospital is Grant.
I thought so, too. Grant is where I ended up having my right ear reattached when it was almost ripped off in an accident in Athens. You can barely even see the scarring now thanks to their emergency plastics surgeon.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not considering him as the future, but if he earns it, so be it. I don't see what height has to do with it, he's taller than Saros, and he has been pretty good. I think Jet could be a solid backup.
I'm certainly not saying he "can't" be the guy but odds are stacked against him. Saros is the exception to the rule as most goalies tend to be on the bigger side since they can take up more of the net with their height. Hellebuyck and Demko are 6'4" and Adin Hill is 6'6". Korpisalo and Elvis are 6'3" and Tarasov is 6'5". This organization has a strong preference for big goalies.

Does 2 inches make that much of a difference? Maybe not. As some people say, it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I'm certainly not saying he "can't" be the guy but odds are stacked against him. Saros is the exception to the rule as most goalies tend to be on the bigger side since they can take up more of the net with their height. Hellebuyck and Demko are 6'4" and Adin Hill is 6'6". Korpisalo and Elvis are 6'3" and Tarasov is 6'5". This organization has a strong preference for big goalies.

Does 2 inches make that much of a difference? Maybe not. As some people say, it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean.
No doubt bigger is better. I never had Jet pegged as our starter, but he has really improved since he's been here and I hope he gets a chance. But I agree with you, his size may be what ends up ultimately holding him back.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This organization has a strong preference for big goalies.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. The last 3 drafted goalies, however, are 6’1”, 6’3”, and 5’11”. Plus they signed Greaves who is 6’0”. Martin is 6’3” but it wasn’t like he was someone they targeted.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Who cares how tall people are if they are good players or effective??

As a very small man, it’s fascinating that a man’s height might be the only thing you are still allowed to attack/belittle/chastise/mock (etc.) any human being for in modern day. Being lazy and fat is acceptable and looked at more positively, similar to people having no issues looking at a SHIT goalie like Elvis with zero questions about being the “future”, but, god forbid not a goalie that’s “short” who can stop a puck or control a f***ing rebound.

From my POV the biggest thing Elvis has ever had going for him, and the only thing I can imagine people looked at him so favorably, is his name. And as I continue to mention, Jet is a superior name. He just happens to be a superior goalie also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad