Proposal: LEAFS and KINGS

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
The Kings have tonnes of Cap room and will likely be looking for ways of taking advantage of this and using it to their advantage in stockpiling prospects/picks

The Leafs are looking for the opposite - and would likely be looking for another team to "create" cap space for them - in turn giving prospects/picks

PROPOSAL =

Frederik Andersen + Rodion Amirov + 2021 1st round Pick

FOR

Jonathan Quick (50% retained) + Alex Iafallo (50% retained)

Leafs GAIN $775,000 in CURRENT CAP SPACE & gain a top 6 -9 forward that can move up and down their lineup WITHOUT having to give a current roster forward! (it would shore up their 2nd line and/or forward group)

Kings flex their cap space muscle by retaining on Quick (who isn't part of their future plans) and retain on Iafallo (who may or may not be) BUT essentially gain TWO first round PICKS (Amirov and 2021 pick) PLUS the ability to then flip Andersen to a team such as Colorado perhaps??? and get EVEN MORE assets!

could be a win win for both teams

it could also be a means to an end for the leafs as well - having Quick at 2.9M and "locked up for next year as well" - would allow them to
- expose him for Seattle
- still have the flexibility to now give Hyman an extension/raise as well
- still be able to add another forward and/or dman at the deadline as well (without tinkering with chemistry/deleting players) - Glendenning, Vatanen, Kulikov, etc

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
counter: Iafallo 50% for Amirov and conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if Toronto reaches semi-finals (do we know what the NHL is calling that now that it is not Eastern or Western Finals)

As I write that I am more intrigued by the semi-finals this year. Will the usual trophies be used? Which is the Clarence Campbell, which is the Prince of Wales?

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
counter: Iafallo 50% for Amirov and conditional 2nd that turns into a 1st if Toronto reaches semi-finals (do we know what the NHL is calling that now that it is not Eastern or Western Finals)

As I write that I am more intrigued by the semi-finals this year. Will the usual trophies be used? Which is the Clarence Campbell, which is the Prince of Wales?
yes something along these lines

the whole point is to be proactive - and yes you have to give something in order to get something

Iafallo would without a doubt make the leafs better - as would Quick IMO - but the cap flexibility is also very very valuable - it also allows to add other pieces at the deadline (Staal, Vatanen, MDZ, Hamonic, etc) - whereas without doing a deal such as this - you are tinkering with shedding Kerfoot/Engvall and then hoping whoever you add outperforms them - this way you have the best of both worlds

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
I don't see the appeal in giving up our most recent 1st and another first for a 35 year old goalie and a 40ish point forward. I could be on board with one or the other and a lesser secondary piece though.

it may not be "ideal" - but keep in mind Amirov wasn't even in the conversation last year at this time - it goes to show sometimes you can create prospects/picks (as the leafs did with Kapanen) at the time

- this way the Leafs lock up Quick for another year and guarantee themselves a Quick/Campbell Tandem and be able to give the savings to a Hyman extension
OR
Seattle takes Quick and the Leafs would have even more cap Space

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
it may not be "ideal" - but keep in mind Amirov wasn't even in the conversation last year at this time - it goes to show sometimes you can create prospects/picks (as the leafs did with Kapanen) at the time

- this way the Leafs lock up Quick for another year and guarantee themselves a Quick/Campbell Tandem and be able to give the savings to a Hyman extension
OR
I like the idea of the deal but I just don't think I would pay that price. It would be one or the other and then a secondary piece of slightly less value to make it doable for me.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Iafallo only gets Amirov if the Leafs can sign him long-term which Idk how we would be able to, 3rd team perhaps?
To the OP, hell no.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The Kings have tonnes of Cap room and will likely be looking for ways of taking advantage of this and using it to their advantage in stockpiling prospects/picks

The Leafs are looking for the opposite - and would likely be looking for another team to "create" cap space for them - in turn giving prospects/picks

PROPOSAL =

Frederik Andersen + Rodion Amirov + 2021 1st round Pick

FOR

Jonathan Quick (50% retained) + Alex Iafallo (50% retained)

Leafs GAIN $775,000 in CURRENT CAP SPACE & gain a top 6 -9 forward that can move up and down their lineup WITHOUT having to give a current roster forward! (it would shore up their 2nd line and/or forward group)

Kings flex their cap space muscle by retaining on Quick (who isn't part of their future plans) and retain on Iafallo (who may or may not be) BUT essentially gain TWO first round PICKS (Amirov and 2021 pick) PLUS the ability to then flip Andersen to a team such as Colorado perhaps??? and get EVEN MORE assets!

could be a win win for both teams

it could also be a means to an end for the leafs as well - having Quick at 2.9M and "locked up for next year as well" - would allow them to
- expose him for Seattle
- still have the flexibility to now give Hyman an extension/raise as well
- still be able to add another forward and/or dman at the deadline as well (without tinkering with chemistry/deleting players) - Glendenning, Vatanen, Kulikov, etc

Why don't the Leafs just do this instead of paying 2 1sts to dump him?

Reactions: hamzarocks

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

OR

You realize Andersen is a UFA this year so the Leafs actually lose capspace by completing this trade right? Leafs also signed Hutchinson to a 2 year deal so that he can be used as our available goalie.

I was a HUGE Jonathan Quick fan and I still like the guy, but you aren't being honest if you think he can actually contribute to a cup contending team anymore. He has been bad for 3 years and people are already calling Andersen over the hill for ~1 year of bad play.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Quick is a downgrade on Andersen. Leafs would have done such a trade 9 years not in 2021.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Terrible for the Leafs

Not to mention Andersen is only owed about 400k of real money - he isn’t the “dump” most people make him out to be.

If I am a small market team he is a good add if trading cap and real dollars in exchange.

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Iafallo only gets Amirov if the Leafs can sign him long-term which Idk how we would be able to, 3rd team perhaps?
To the OP, hell no.

i'd say Iafallo only gets Amirov if a 1st is coming back with him, or simply put, this is a non starter for Toronto.
geez, i wouldnt even deal Abramov for Iafallo straight up at his cap hit, we have plenty of players that can slot into the bottom 6, and be better and cheaper!!

Why in the world would the Leafs give up their #1 F prospect for a 3/4th line 27 yr old on an expiring contract that currently doesnt even fit under the cap?
he wouldnt even make the starting lineup as it stands right now, and is paid more than almost all of our bottom 6 players.

i completely agree with the 2nd bolded part, and well said.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

nothing agaisnt Iafallo but jeez do people overvalue him. pretty much 2 1sts for him as a rental?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00