Leafs All-Time Team Vote: First Line Left Wing

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
never saw clips of Busher Jackson ( if they exist)...But the BIG M was the second best left wing in hockey after Bobby Hull. ( in that era ).
Great skater, wingspan, shot.....he had it all except maybe desire ( drive? ) at least according to Imlach..

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
The big M is a legend and accomplished more than all the other candidates but Wendel is the fan favourite and will get lots of votes.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Dave Andreychuk didn't even get a mention in the poll?

The guy potted 53 goals for us one year.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The big M is a legend and accomplished more than all the other candidates but Wendel is the fan favourite and will get lots of votes.

If all Wendel cared about was offensive stats, he could have scored a lot more. Look at 93-94 to see what he was capable of with a legit first line center. I personally think Wendel is way more valuable than Andreychuk could ever dream of. Stats be damned.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
If all Wendel cared about was offensive stats, he could have scored a lot more. Look at 93-94 to see what he was capable of with a legit first line center. I personally think Wendel is way more valuable than Andreychuk could ever dream of. Stats be damned.

Yes.
One leads the NHL in most Power Play Goals and Game tying goals.
Also is one of the best players ever in front of the net.
The other is a tough Joffrey Lupul.

Andreychuck > Clark AINEC.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
I take Wendel on my team over anyone , anytime !!!
he played every game like it was his last , had too many injuries
was a true warrior
didn't see the big M enough to pick him
Andreychuk was a great player too , very underrated
that's the top 3

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Head said Frank, heart said Wendel. Heart won.

Wait a minute...Sundin won best all time center?!?! Good Lord :facepalm: How is that even possible? Or are the majority of people here too young to remember, or know anything about, a time before the Gilmour and Sundin eras?

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
I take Wendel on my team over anyone , anytime !!!
he played every game like it was his last , had too many injuries
was a true warrior
didn't see the big M enough to pick him
Andreychuk was a great player too , very underrated
that's the top 3

Big M hands down
Wendel lost me when he came out and said he wouldn't fight his cousin Joey Kocur.

Hell, Ty Cobb would slide into with his spikes up on his grandmother, and Wendel wouldn't fight his cousin?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Yes.
One leads the NHL in most Power Play Goals and Game tying goals.
Also is one of the best players ever in front of the net.
The other is a tough Joffrey Lupul.

Andreychuck > Clark AINEC.

He was basically Luc Robitaille in a bigger body. Nice player but I'm taking Wendel every time.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Not quite. Maybe top 5, certainly top 10.

I'd say he's absolutely top 5. And aside from Bobby Hull, I might even make an argument for Mahovlich at 2. I don't think Mahovlich ever reached his potential playing with all that stress, anxiety and hospitalization under Imlach, relative to what he could have become. If I remember correctly, they weren't even speaking with each other by the mid 60's. I would take that into account when comparing him to Lindsay and Ovechkin. And if you did happen to take those two over the Big M, I wouldn't take anyone else.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Head said Frank, heart said Wendel. Heart won.

Wait a minute...Sundin won best all time center?!?! Good Lord :facepalm: How is that even possible? Or are the majority of people here too young to remember, or know anything about, a time before the Gilmour and Sundin eras?

You voted for Clark over Mahovlich. Are you really one to complain about Sundin winning?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd say he's absolutely top 5. And aside from Bobby Hull, I might even make an argument for Mahovlich at 2. I don't think Mahovlich ever reached his potential playing with all that stress, anxiety and hospitalization under Imlach, relative to what he could have become. If I remember correctly, they weren't even speaking with each other by the mid 60's. I would take that into account when comparing him to Lindsay and Ovechkin. And if you did happen to take those two over the Big M, I wouldn't take anyone else.

Hull, Lindsey, and Ovechkin are definitely ahead of Mahovlich. Off the top of my head, he's in a grouping of players like Aurel Joliat, Cy Denneny, Valeri Kharlamov, and Dickie Moore. All those guys are pretty close, so he could be anywhere from 4th to 8th.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Hull, Lindsey, and Ovechkin are definitely ahead of Mahovlich. Off the top of my head, he's in a grouping of players like Aurel Joliat, Cy Denneny, Valeri Kharlamov, and Dickie Moore. All those guys are pretty close, so he could be anywhere from 4th to 8th.

Disagree. Lindsay benefited playing with Gordie Howe. Ovechkin doesn't have the playoff pedigree- not even a conference finals. I don't put the other 4 on top of Mahovlich in any way. Especially when you start talking about guys like Denneny. He played in the 20's. In Denneny's time, the NHL was overshadowed by amateur hockey.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Busher Jackson has 4 votes. Wendel Clark has 49 votes.

What is wrong with you people?

It is what it is. Busher Jackson is better, but you'd have to be close to 90 to have seen him in his prime. And the Leafs have never properly honoured him, which is a remnant of the days when Conn Smythe decided who would get the accolades and who wouldn't. Smythe didn't like Busher, and even kept him out of the Hall as long as he could. How is anyone supposed to know what Busher meant to the Leafs? I love the guy, but I went out of my way to learn about him. That's not expected of any fan.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Conn Smythe's attitude to Busher Jackson was mixed in nature. On the one hand, Smythe kept Jackson out of the Hall of Fame for years and resigned in protest when he was finally elected. Smythe thought character was a vital element of membership in the Hall. Syl Apps, who genuinely was a man of sterling character, was Smythe's ideal. Smythe did not respect Jackson, and understandably so. It may not have just been the alcohol. Smythe was at least as offended by the wife beating episodes, probably connected with Jackson's alcoholism. Taking wife beating seriously is admirable, IMO. To me, it is more serious than the gambling which has kept Pete Rose out of the baseball Hall.

On the other hand, Smythe went out of his way to provide Jackson with small jobs to earn a little money to live on. For example, he let Jackson sell the old sticks from Leaf practices.

At any rate, the Busher Jackson story is one of the saddest epsodes in Leafs history, alng with the John Kordic story and most shamefully the child abuse scandal at the old Gardens. For the purposes of this poll, however, the things to remember are four first all star awards, one second all star, the Art Ross Trophy and a Stanley Cup. Only the Big M deserves to be discussed at the same level.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Missing from the consideration, Sid Smith:

3 Stanley Cups
2 Lady Bing Wins
1st All Star LW once, 2nd All Star LW twice
Team Captain

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Disagree. Lindsay benefited playing with Gordie Howe. Ovechkin doesn't have the playoff pedigree- not even a conference finals. I don't put the other 4 on top of Mahovlich in any way. Especially when you start talking about guys like Denneny. He played in the 20's. In Denneny's time, the NHL was overshadowed by amateur hockey.

Yes, Lindsay benefited form playing with Howe. How also benefited from playing with Lindsay, especially early in his career. Lindsay lead the league in goals, assists, and points before Howe entered his prime, so he was no a coat-tail rider.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
You voted for Clark over Mahovlich. Are you really one to complain about Sundin winning?

Yes, because I openly admit that I voted with my heart and not my head.

But whether voting with head or heart, Sundin does not deserve to win. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad