Leafs All-Time Team Vote: #1 Goalie

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Broda hands down.

He lost three prime years fighting in WW2 and came back to lead the Leafs to 4 cups in his six seasons after the war.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Gotta be the record holder for single season wins as a Leaf. Andrew Raycroft :sarcasm:

Seriously how does he hold that record? :laugh:

Cause he played 72 games and Maurice refused to start Aubin for whatever reason, even though he was the reason we almost made the playoffs in 2006. Raycroft wasn't that bad though, we had some of the worst defences in Maple Leaf history 2006-2008.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Broda was better than Bower and both disagree with Sundin being their first-line center! ;-)

Lol, I know I can't believe Sundin was voted our greatest centre over Apps, Keon and Kennedy. Just craziness. And now Bower is winning by a landslide over Broda. Both Bower and Broda had great success with us, but Broda truly was our best goalie.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Bower is the GOAT man! I can't believe people are voting Joseph :laugh: Loved CuJo but Bower has most wins and cup victories throughout the 60's

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Turk Broda is #1, then Johnny Bower #2.

Both were instrumental in Leaf Stanley Cup wins but Broda has the most wins and had the longest career.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We seem to be building the Leafs All-time best line-up post original 6 players line-up based on the previous votes.

So the only options should be from the Best of 1970's to present.

Mike "The Popcorn Kid" Palmateer
Felix "The Cat" Potvin
Curtis "Cujo" Joseph
Eddie "The Eagle" Belfour

Players like Johnny Bower, Turk Broda and Terry Sawchuk & Harry Lumley, should be kept with the Keon, Apps, and Timmy Horton etc and other legendary greats of the past and outside the scope of this modern day all-time line-up.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It has to be Turk Broda, followed very closely by Johnny Bower!

Honorable mention only to Terry Sawchuk. He wasn't a Leaf long enough IMHO.

As much as a liked Joseph, Belfour, and Potvin, none came close to the achievements of Broda and Bower.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Belfour was easily the best Goaltender I've ever seen play for the Leafs.

Not sure how you can vote for a Player you've never seen.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I went with Curtis Joseph. That 98-99 season is when I became a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I hope he won't always be the first goalie I think of when the question is asked, but right now he is.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
We seem to be building the Leafs All-time best line-up post original 6 players line-up based on the previous votes.

Felix "The Cat" Potvin
Curtis "Cujo" Joseph

Players like Johnny Bower, Turk Broda and Terry Sawchuk & Harry Lumley, should be kept with the Keon, Apps, and Timmy Horton etc and other legendary greats of the past and outside the scope of this modern day all-time line-up.

Agreed. People get all nostalgic about players they have never seen play. Any one of them in today's game with their style would get lit up. I'm not saying that they may be the best, but the automatic "legend" card makes this poll flawed.

That said I voted with my all time favourite goalie, childhood makes me nostalgic.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Leafs are about to celebrate their 100th Centennial Season and if someone is doing an All-Time list then this would require research of past achievements and not eyesight alone to created the best Leafs of the past 100 years to do this any justice.

Otherwise this is really the Best All-time team I have ever seen in my Lifetime play survey.

How could you eliminate the first 70 years of existence and only include players from the last 30 (encompassing many voters) who have been alive to see them actually play when creating an All-Time Best team?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs are about to celebrate their 100th Centennial Season and if someone is doing an All-Time list then this would require research of past achievements and not eyesight alone to created the best Leafs of the past 100 years to do this any justice.

Otherwise this is really the Best All-time team I have ever seen in my Lifetime play survey.

How could you eliminate the first 70 years of existence and only include players from the last 30 (encompassing many voters) who have been alive to see them actually play when creating an All-Time Best team?

Anyone can do whatever they like, it won't make the results any more meaningful.
To compare stats over different eras doesn't "do this any justice" either.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I don't know if I should vote, because for me it's between Bower and Broda.

It's laughable that anyone would vote for Potvin or CuJo - despite the performances they each put up, mind you they were relatively short times in Toronto compared to Bower, Broda.

djpunkrog

Apr 2, 2016
UK

I agree with how you can vote for a player you've never seen, but I have CUJO marginally over Eddie.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Felix "The Cat" Potvin
Curtis "Cujo" Joseph

Truth is I'm probably one of the few that actually saw Broda, Lumley and Bower Play ....LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad