Prospect Info: Leafs 3rd. pick at #82 - Carter Verhaeghe

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Carter Verhaege, have been very impressed by him. I think he will be the best player we draft from the 2013 draft class.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
lol the only way you would have any input on this dude is if you watched his performance in the last two years

course no one here has the time for that, with like one or two exceptions

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Verheaghe was a stand-out at camp. Kid looks good and he will surprise alot of y'all. Him and Herzog both look very promising. Andreas Johnson was mentioned in another thread as well but I've literally never seen him play. Gauthier was the high draft pick but these are the guys Leafs fans should really be keeping an eye on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree, Verhaege looked great this camp. He has looked great early on at Niagara. Not hard to see that this kid has untapped potential that Morrison keenly mined with a relatively mid-rd pick.

Nothing new here, I have often stated in the past that don't be surprised if Joshua Leivo is the best player we took in the 2011 draft also.

At times you get excited about players that show you something, and you want to share this with fellow Leafs fans that are into following our prospects.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Carter Verhaege added 1+1 last night +1 in a Ice Dog win.

Highlights are routinely posted on the Ice Dog website.

Of note: Watch out for Perlini, this kid is going to be a good one.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
lol the only way you would have any input on this dude is if you watched his performance in the last two years

course no one here has the time for that, with like one or two exceptions

Some people around here do watch Junior. I've know for a while now that Leivo is going to do well. He played for the two OHL teams I follow. The Wolves as that is is where I grew up and the Ragners, where I live now.

Ace88*

Verhaeghe is literally in the best position he could be in. Taking on the #1 role in Niagara on a competent team will do wonders for his development. With Perlini there too they should be one of the OHL's better duos. I suspect the Leafs will be keeping very very close tabs on Perlini up to the 2014 draft. No reason that both of them shouldn't hit 70 points, maybe even 80.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I prefer the calculated Andreas Johnson type pick more than these bland CHLers. At least we didn't draft a Minnesota high schooler.

:shakehead I would love to know how drafting a European kid is considered a calculated pick while drafting a kid from the best junior league in the world is not.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think most of have seen him in camp and preseason. It's an eye opener, the kid has good skills, drives the net, and like Leivo good things happen when he is out there. Definitely promising when you factor in his start. His goals in the OHL are not cheap ones too. Lots to like that we may not have expected when his name was first called.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I think most of have seen him in camp and preseason. It's an eye opener, the kid has good skills, drives the net, and like Leivo good things happen when he is out there. Definitely promising when you factor in his start. His goals in the OHL are not cheap ones too. Lots to like that we may not have expected when his name was first called.

Ya he has to get a lot faster and a lot stronger, but other than that I think he has top 6 potential.

crazyaces**

Beast mode!

2 goals 2 assists tonight with 10 goals 22 points on the season (in 10 games).

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Was gunna go watch him when he was in North Bay this past monday but didnt end up going, definitely going the next time hes playing here.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
I know it's early, real early.

But someone who know's this stuff better than I do I wouldn't mind knowing the chances of Verhaeghe or Connor Brown making the world junior team? I know in the past they've left off some of the top scorers in each league but i'm curious

Ace88*

I know it's early, real early.

But someone who know's this stuff better than I do I wouldn't mind knowing the chances of Verhaeghe or Connor Brown making the world junior team? I know in the past they've left off some of the top scorers in each league but i'm curious

Brown has a good chance. Verhaeghe not so much, still too green for Hockey Canadas liking probably.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As I posted before the draft:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=68059609&highlight=#post68059609

ROUND 3 - 82

Might be there:
Peter Cehlarik, LW
Carl Dahlstrom, D
Philippe Desrosiers, G
Remi Elie, LW
Carter Verhaege, C

My 7 round mock:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=68243695&highlight=#post68243695

ROUND 3 - 82

Carter Verhaege, C, 6-1 181
(Shoots) Left
(Niagara - OHL) 67gp 18g 26a 44pts 22pim -12

Solid all-around player with decent size. Very underrated. Blue-collar player who works hard in all three zones. Aggressive on forecheck. Cerebral player with good vision. Can play without the puck. Excellent penalty killer. Untapped offensive potential playing behind Niagara's dynamic top line. Future captain material.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=68360141&highlight=#post68360141

Down to these guys for me.

Peter Cehlarik, LW, 6-2 188
(Shoots) Left
(Lulea - SEL) 8gp 3g 3a 6pts 0pim +8

Greg Chase, C, 6-0 195
(Shoots) Right(Calgary - WHL) 69gp 17g 32a 49pts 58pim +11

Carter Verhaege, C, 6-1 181
(Shoots) Left
(Niagara - OHL) 67gp 18g 26a 44pts 22pim -12

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=68361171&highlight=#post68361171

Then immediately after the pick.

Woot! Verhaege!!!!!:handclap:

This guy's gonna blow up next year when Strome et all leave.

Was on that bandwagon before day 1. lol

Ace88*

Better at his role probably. still soooo early though. Verhaeghe if hes likely will probably top out as a 45-50pt Mike Comrie kind of player.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
But do you think he will be better than Gauthier?

I hate making predictions like that. But I will say, I was far more impressed with Verhaeghe during the rookie camp than I was with Gauthier, and can certainly see why someone would like his chances to succeed better at the next level.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hate making predictions like that. But I will say, I was far more impressed with Verhaeghe during the rookie camp than I was with Gauthier, and can certainly see why someone would like his chances to succeed better at the next level.

Better at his role probably. still soooo early though. Verhaeghe if hes likely will probably top out as a 45-50pt Mike Comrie kind of player.

I love his ascension, he's such a late birthday, he really came on the scene late last year. Then when you see his skills, you think there is something there. I'm hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg for him. Hard to see him maintaining this pace. Vincent Trocheck had a jump in points last season, but not one like Carter's after draft year.

Will be fun seeing what we have here. Got love what he has shown thus far.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Anyone have any idea what players have put up over 100 points in there post draft year? I'd like to know what kind of class Leaf's brass is putting Carter in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad