Prospect Info: Leafs 3rd. pick at #82 - Carter Verhaeghe

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I like that he was a depth center for Niagara and will get a more prominent role next year. Could be a break out for him and a hidden gem for us. Either way if he has an intelligent style to his game and some skill, he should make it as a player. As long as he can skate and take face offs.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Sounds like another solid pick of a player who is on the rise. It worked out well in Leivo and Toninato.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Reminds me of Josh Leivo when they picked him.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2013_26.html

19. Carter Verhaeghe - Forward - Niagara IceDogs

Easily one of the most underrated prospects available from the OHL. Verhaeghe is just a solid all around player. For most of the season, he served as Niagara's 2nd line center and did a very admirable job. He's a very hard worker in all three zones who knows how to play without the puck. He's aggressive on the forecheck, effective along the boards and works hard on the backcheck. He's also a cerebral centerman who is adept at finding linemates off the rush or below the hash marks. He's smart with the puck on his stick and has great vision. He's also got good size and I think profiles well as an aggressive two-way centerman at the NHL level (think Windsor's Brady Vail). He was the final add to the Canadian Under 18 team this year and I thought he did a fantastic job given the depth role he received. He killed penalties well for Canada and was a factor in outworking opposing defenses. Next year, Niagara will need a new captain and I believe he's a serious candidate for that position. Verhaeghe is just a solid meat and potatoes guy who I think plays in the NHL in the future.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What the hell do people expect this late in the draft? FFS nitpicking for the sake of it.

I prefer the calculated Andreas Johnson type pick more than these bland CHLers. At least we didn't draft a Minnesota high schooler.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I don't know how to pronounce his name. Therefore, I must unfortunately deem him a bust. Maybe things will change for the best in the future.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't know how to pronounce his name. Therefore, I must unfortunately deem him a bust. Maybe things will change for the best in the future.

mj-lol.gif

whattt ?

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
I prefer the calculated Andreas Johnson type pick more than these bland CHLers. At least we didn't draft a Minnesota high schooler.

Yeah, it would suck to have another Domininc Toninato or Tony Cameranesi in the system. :shakehead

Leafs have done well in Minnesota with these picks. Toninato & Cameranesi will both be together in NCAA w/ Minn/Du & Toninato especially is most definitely a player to watch.

They had their eyes on a couple of guys from Moinnesota High School system but traded the 2nd as part of the Bolland deal or we would have probably had another.

The Verhaege pick was compared to the Lievo pick by Morrison in that he has slipped 'under the radar'.

It's a fine pick & the kid will need a good few years just like (shock/horror) most prospects.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I prefer the calculated Andreas Johnson type pick more than these bland CHLers.

I prefer to draft players with character, intelligence, and toughness.

Offensive skill is great, but it's something that can be improved through dedication and hard work, and that often happens for players with good character.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I prefer to draft players with character, intelligence, and toughness.

Offensive skill is great, but it's something that can be improved through dedication and hard work, and that often happens for players with good character.

What is to say Andreas Johnson doesn't have the same/better character than Verhaeghe?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Liking this pick. It seems like drafting guys with really late birthdays might actually be a strategy we use. He's an August, so one of the younger kids to begin with, and was stuck behind Ryan Strome. Could be poised for a big break out year a la Connor Brown.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Liking this pick. It seems like drafting guys with really late birthdays might actually be a strategy we use. He's an August, so one of the younger kids to begin with, and was stuck behind Ryan Strome. Could be poised for a big break out year a la Connor Brown.

I'm so happy someone mentioned Connor Brown. I love that pick.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He sounds like a 2nd rounder who dropped.

With Nonnis throwing around 2nd rounders it looks like they went with a safe pick. It is starting to look like we will do better with our 3rds than our 2nds? Bland but right.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Love this pick. Whenever I watched him I always thought he had significant upside. He was stuck playing behind some people but he'll get his opportunity this upcoming year.

TSBSoupsta

Dec 29, 2012
Let's be honest here, 95% of hockey fans have no clue who anyone outside of the Top 10 of most drafts are and they come here to push buttons with their unbelievably bad knowledge. Not sure I have any insight into Verhaeghe that hasn't already been said (2-way, good on PK, played well for CAN), but if people don't know about a guy they shouldn't just deem him a bust. You're very rarely, if ever, going to find a future top liner in the 3rd round... so don't expect "sexy" picks. Teams need depth prospects too, ya know?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Let's be honest here, 95% of hockey fans have no clue who anyone outside of the Top 10 of most drafts are and they come here to push buttons with their unbelievably bad knowledge. Not sure I have any insight into Verhaeghe that hasn't already been said (2-way, good on PK, played well for CAN), but if people don't know about a guy they shouldn't just deem him a bust. You're very rarely, if ever, going to find a future top liner in the 3rd round... so don't expect "sexy" picks. Teams need depth prospects too, ya know?

Completely agree. I'm excited by Morrison's comment about his offensive upside!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I had a hockey class with this kid in school a few years ago he's 2 years younger. (Tyler Ganly 6th round pick of the canes also in that class) His work ethic is outstanding and he's a great person... When I seen this kid I new he was going to the NHL, watching him with the puck was magic... this kid is going to be a future leaf mark my words... his talent is ridiculous. So happy the leafs picked him up.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The U18 games seem to have been taken off the TSN video section but a Russian language broadcast of the gold medal game is still available on youtube. I had remembered a gilt edged scoring chance in which there was a scrum behind the US net and a Canadian player emerged with the puck. He made a beautiful pass directly to a crashing Josh Morrissey in front of the net. Unfortunately, Morrissey mostly fanned on the puck and the us goalie made the save. That doesn't change the fact it was a gorgeous pass.

What I discovered when I watched the game again was that Verhaege made the pass.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
You guys are hilarious, some of you guys are deeming him a bust without ever seeing him play or simply because you can't pronounce his last name lol. I really like this pick, he has done well in the OHL this year, especially in the playoffs. I see him more as a reliable, two way, playmaking centre. He is going to have a huge role on the IceDogs this season, I suggest people actually go out and watch him play, then you can see why the Leafs thought so highly of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad