Leafs 3 Oilers 2 in overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't disagree but the reffing this year has shown that outside of absolutely blatant fouls they won't call anything. So why not go mug a few players?

Said it for years. Go after the other teams stars and younger guys and then see what happens. Not kill them but give them a rough ride. This team has had a culture for too long of either not responding or only responding and not initiating.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Said it for years. Go after the other teams stars and younger guys and then see what happens. Not kill them but give them a rough ride. This team has had a culture for too long of either not responding or only responding and not initiating.

Get aggressive and be nasty with other teams star players.

Yup, we've had a soft culture of taking ****. We've accepted being bullied and that's sickening to me, any hockey team that accepts being bullied will be a terrible hockey team.

Go out and be the aggressor, go rough up the other teams players. Drop the gloves the second you are challenged and come out swinging. It's an "us versus them" attitude and no one is coming to protect us, we take care of each other.

It's not just "goon" play, that aggressive attacking style also involves driving the play and controlling the puck. It also means attacking the other goalie with the puck, creating opportunities and burying chances in the back of the net every chance you get. Aggressive play also means being aggressive with our skill and playing to win the game.

With good hockey teams, it's a family bond where you'll sacrifice yourself for your brothers on the team, if the team doesn't have that they'll never be successful. They'll just be prey and fodder for other teams who have that bond where they stick together and believe in each other.

Good teams have a self-belief they can overcome anything together, when adversity faces them they welcome the challenge and trust each other that they can overcome any obstacle.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Perhaps this team just needs a good old fashioned bench clearing brawl to set them on the right path of bonding.

Not that I condone violence.:D

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Perhaps this team just needs a good old fashioned bench clearing brawl to set them on the right path of bonding.

Not that I condone violence.:D

You're on the right page.

Afterwards, go out and have a shot of whiskey bonding over the brawl and sticking up for each other.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

That...should be automatic. This is hockey. It shouldnt be shinny/ballet

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Nuge with yet another game where the posters who aren't blinded by hate are saying he played another really strong game.

4 points in his last 5 games playing a shutdown role with tough match ups. Give him some talented line mates and he's probably PPG this year.

Watching the game live, Nuge was the best forward on the ice for the Oilers. Great puck possession skills.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
except McDavid never got a punch in the back of the head, that was Ferraro in his usual "make up a story to go with the end of a play" mode and Cuthbert didn't have a clue what happened either, had McDavid been punched in the back of the head it would have been replayed several times and Ferraro would've gone into his outrage mode and how the Oilers should send out the troops to maim Kadri just as Semenko used to do it for Gretz, it seemed to be a recurring theme last night!

as it was the high angle showed what happened and neither guy mentioned it again

Marincin put McDavid in a headlock and pulled him back away from the Leafs goaltender, while Kadri was getting locked up by either Maroon or Kassian behind the net.

serious question and be honest, do you really think any of the Oilers on the ice would have let something like that slide????

Oiler fans are so used to their Beta "hockey" of shinny and whining and tantrums that they think its hockey.
Its not hockey

Hockey is tough every second of the game.

These guys would not survive the 90s at all where every hit was finished and people got mashed with elbows and crosschecks on a regular basis.
these sissy players have it far too easy these days

my message to McDavid and other whining fans....toughen up sissies

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oiler fans are so used to their Beta "hockey" of shinny and whining and tantrums that they think its hockey.
Its not hockey

Hockey is tough every second of the game.

These guys would not survive the 90s at all where every hit was finished and people got mashed with elbows and crosschecks on a regular basis.
these sissy players have it far too easy these days

my message to McDavid and other whining fans....toughen up sissies

Hear hear.

Finally someone else saying it. Hockey is a tough sport, the weak get eaten.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Watching the game live, Nuge was the best forward on the ice for the Oilers. Great puck possession skills.

yes. I really want to see him and Eberle back together but Eberle might be the defensive issue that brings everyone down. i dont know

Maybe McL wants Eberle away from Nuge because Nuge is his 2 way go to pivot. MAybe McL doesnt think the additional offense Eberle might show there is worth it...or that there is a low likelihood that Eberle can be put there without ruining the line for his usage. So far its been a very dependable line for a coach.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Didnt lander get a penalty for facewashing a guy?

Those types of penalties are easy to get motivated to kill.

When people are talking about playing tough, we're not talking about being cheap or taking penalties. We're talking about playing all out finishing every check, crashing the net, getting in the other teams face and playing with a level of desperation. Play like it's the last time you'll ever lace them up. It's a hard, fast, and physical style we want to see. Not cheap shots.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Hear hear.

Finally someone else saying it. Hockey is a tough sport, the weak get eaten.

Alot of the posts around here sound like that dweeb in school that gets picked on because hes a worthless beta...even beta doesnt fit its more like zeta...lowest of low. That Zeta befriends a big new kid and all of a sudden zeta sissy thinks big buddy should get him out of jams.

News flash. Big buddy has his own **** to deal with. Zeta sissy should toughen up or end his game. if zeta keeps being a zeta ***** then he deserves the misery.

this is not supposed to be a sissy sport. stand up for yourself and play this thing called hockey not ballet.

I think for the most part the team is sticking up for eachother but its really pathetic if McD and others whine about opposing players dominating them. lol. such little sissy *******.

I expect this will be snuffed out fast and Lucic is going to say "this is a mans sport...stop whining and grow some"

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I have no idea what you're even talking about oilinblood...hahah.

I suspect the dweebs you're referring to are probably rich and enjoying life right now though.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Those types of penalties are easy to get motivated to kill.

When people are talking about playing tough, we're not talking about being cheap or taking penalties. We're talking about playing all out finishing every check, crashing the net, getting in the other teams face and playing with a level of desperation. Play like it's the last time you'll ever lace them up. It's a hard, fast, and physical style we want to see. Not cheap shots.

before this whole...shiny new toy phase...we used to just call that hockey.

Im not even that old and because we have dealt with 5/6 years of VERY much sissy ballet on ice...i feel like i am an old 90 year old vet talking about how life used to be. Feels like the Oilers betaness is a metaphor for the millennial generation of sensitivity and anti-bullying and coombayah-hand-holding everyone-poops you-are-a-snowflake, the world should cater to your uniqueness, sissy BS.

should we all sit around in a hot tub and discuss our feelings? lets all watch a chickflick and have a good cry? need a shoulder to whine on? its ok...youre a special snowflake...a miracle made...do what makes you happy...the world should cater to you

grow the f up haha (not at you snopes)

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I have no idea what you're even talking about oilinblood...hahah.

I suspect the dweebs you're referring to are probably rich and enjoying life right now though.

no i didnt say nerds...i said dweebs/Zetas

you have to have some alpha in you to take control of your life and work hard (those smart guys you talk of). Also if they had any success they had to work hard, show some self-control, and walk over some people to leave them behind. Those are Alpha strong traits

We all know the weak dweebs i speak of...weve seen them. they are probably dead or at a point of life where death is maybe more productive than their life.

Enough talking about life though. this is hockey. hockey is life on ice. Man up Oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i agree there was a couple times i thought nice move McD...oh snap it was nuge!! hes trying to drive offence and when the flood gates open its gonna be great for him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
before this whole...shiny new toy phase...we used to just call that hockey.

Im not even that old and because we have dealt with 5/6 years of VERY much sissy ballet on ice...i feel like i am an old 90 year old vet talking about how life used to be. Feels like the Oilers betaness is a metaphor for the millennial generation of sensitivity and anti-bullying and coombayah-hand-holding everyone-poops you-are-a-snowflake sissy BS.

my point is.....the refs called a penalty on a facewash. I think Kassian got game misconducts for chirping last year. It's never an even playing field.

I don't even think it's pure bias/conspiracy it's just how refs operate these days.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

you have to have some alpha in you to take control of your life and work hard (those smart guys you talk of). Also if they had any success they had to work hard, show some self-control, and walk over some people to leave them behind. Those are Alpha strong traits

We all know the weak dweebs i speak of...weve seen them. they are probably dead or at a point of life where death is maybe more productive than their life.

Hahah, you're too much. Cheers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Enough talking about life though. this is hockey. hockey is life on ice. Man up Oilers.

they are making excuses to why things didnt go their way and also probs working on advanced analytic blogs

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What is frustrating is we're basically big for nothing. We had a chance to bully the Leafs and we didn't, why have the size in the lineup if they won't do anything?

Look at the impact Lucic had fighting Engelland when he hit McDavid against the Flames. It's symbolic, it sets a tone and attitude that we're here for a battle. That has a ripple effect on the skill guys, they stand taller and feel more confident in themselves.

The Kings took head shots at Davidson, we did nothing. Ok, preseason we can let it slide. Against the Leafs, Marincin pushed McDavid against the net and bent his back over the net completely bullying him. Kadri punched McDavid in the face when he hit him, that stuff is unacceptable.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
they are making excuses to why things didnt go their way and also probs working on advanced analytic blogs

yup.

you seem them at the pubs too.

Which reminds me of a quote from Sather. 'Id rather have an arrogant guy working for me than someone whos a wimp. I dont think wimps are successful. An arrogant guy will go out and do it. He will scrifice and ride the hard road. A wimp will sit at the bar and say how tough life is and complain with the other wimps. It doesnt matter how hard you work...if you arent willing to take the heat and pay the price, you arent going to be successful. then you can sit around the bar with all the other wimps and talk how life is so tough. If youre going to be successful...you do it yourself. Takes guts to do that. guts leads to success.'

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Agreed, that's why I want Pulju to get a look. They've shown chemistry in the basically 30 seconds they've been on the ice together.

Pulju is a right shot, elite skater, 100% effort player, and has a nasty one-timer. Watching him play he's an absolute puck hound, he gives full effort chasing the puck and trying to create turnovers.

Pulju is substantially faster than Eberle and Lucic, he can actually keep up with McDavid on a two on one. These two need a look. The side benefit is it strengthens our other two lines and gives us mismatch opportunities. We can role:

Maroon-McDavid-Pulju
Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-Drai-Kassian
Pitbull-Letestu-Slepyshev

#1-12 that is a deep and difficult forward group to match up with. Alternatively:

Maroon-McDavid-Pulju
Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-Drai-Pitbull
Kassian-Letestu-Slepyshev (or Khaira/Caggiula)

This is what I want to see as well, I think it makes us a better team and will get more out of all the lines with the bonus of JP making 97s line harder to defend.

My eyes are on Tmac right now... does he do anything or does he stand pat and try to play it till it works. I'd also like to see a shakeup on the PP for obvious reasons. We need a net guy and I'd like to see Nurse and Larsson on the point... Nurse's goal is what we need, big shot that gets through and with Larsson we won't know till we try. Maybe even shake things right up and go 3 and 2 instead of the 4-1, I hate shorties.

Edit:
This too... I mentioned in another post that I think lucic figures he's Mr top line scorer and is too scared of taking a penalty to mix it up, Maroon knows his role a little better.

Exactly. If it doesn't work, switch it up.

I dunno, I've got a feeling about a Maroon-McDavid-Pulju line. Maroon actually protects McDavid, Lucic didn't do that and he deserves to be off that line. If you won't protect your captain, you're done.

As I've mentioned, the other benefit is it strengthens our other two lines. We can deploy Lucic-Nuge-Eberle and Pouliot-Drai-Kassian. **** with that top 9. We have mismatches.

Add in a 4th line of Pitbull-Letestu-Slepyshev and I truly believe we can dominate up front and other teams can't match us #1-12. Wave after wave attack.

This post hits it on the head, McDavid has to adjust because the refs aren't going to change how they call the game and in the playoffs it'll be even worse.

McDavid can't expect Lucic or anyone else to constantly fight his battles for him. Not many will fight Lucic anyhow, let alone a smaller guy like Kadri. McDavid needs to start pushing back against players like Kadri just like Crosby learned to do in his early years. He was far too passive last night. Once he learns to get his arms and stick up a little higher when getting hit and give some back with some subtle work, he'll start to get a bit more room from the pests. I think you'll see a different type of McDavid next time they play the Leafs and Kadri tries some stuff. Connor is a smart kid and he'll figure it out.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
yup.

you seem them at the pubs too.

Which reminds me of a quote from Sather. 'Id rather have an arrogant guy working for me than someone whos a wimp. I dont think wimps are successful. An arrogant guy will go out and do it. He will scrifice and ride the hard road. A wimp will sit at the bar and say how tough life is and complain with the other wimps. It doesnt matter how hard you work...if you arent willing to take the heat and pay the price, you arent going to be successful. then you can sit around the bar with all the other wimps and talk how life is so tough. If youre going to be successful...you do it yourself. Takes guts to do that. guts leads to success.'

you need that sweet spot of smarts and arrogance because most arrogant guys are dumber than a sack of hammers. it just goes with the territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad