Leafs 3 Oilers 2 in overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Joey is awesome. I never saw him. I never saw him with Gretz and Coff...its weird. I saw another guy with Downs around with the team but i know it wasnt Joey for a fact. Maybe i just missed him.
I was around the team quite a bit monday and tuesday and didnt see him at all. I would have liked to have had a chat with him again.
Orr is a piece of ****

He wasn't with Gretzky, Coffey or the team but he was in TO and was seen by many Edmonton Fans who stopped to say hi and take selfies with him at the hotel, restaurant and game.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
He wasn't with Gretzky, Coffey or the team but he was in TO and was seen by many Edmonton Fans who stopped to say hi and take selfies with him at the hotel, restaurant and game.

Ah...he was at the R*** (hotel)? Maybe thats why i didnt see him. i wasnt in there long...just wanted to say hi to a few guys. still weird if he was staying there, for me not to notice or hear from one of the others. I figured he made the trip but never bumped into him.
hes a good chat.

first time meeting Orr...wish i never had. Same feeling as when i met Bossy for the first time.

Last edited:

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Different hotel. It's amazing how many people in Toronto knew who he was and how many Edmontonians were in the city too. Not sure if players were aware he was in town but others on team knew.

Surprised about Orr... some random guy from Saskatoon at hotel showed pic he took earlier in day of himself with Orr and McDavid.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Rangers have been on fire lately for sure. I'm stoked for that game. A game like the Leafs is like a no win situation. If you win, then it's just "of course, they suck". If you lose, it's like the sky is falling. The Leafs played their hearts out for pride to win that one. They trapped all night and skated hard like it was a playoff game for them. That was a type of game we might have won last year if we were in their shoes.

The Rangers are a real test. They have a great record, and they have seasons of greatness in the past that tells us that it isn't a fake thing. I like how we've played this season for the most part, but we don't know how real we really are. A game like the Rangers, on the road, will be telling.

And if they do wipe us out, at least we still have quite a few points in the bank. We have a buffer. We can learn from losses. Major problems can get exposed.

****, we should be geniuses by now after 10 years of losses and taking it on the chin. Where's the diploma?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Different hotel. It's amazing how many people in Toronto knew who he was and how many Edmontonians were in the city too.

You live in TO or just trip?
The Oilers i find are a smaller version of the HAbs and Leafs. They have a following all over the country because of the 80s. even in the 90s CBC started playing the Oilers predominantly as the second game in the double header because they had the best ratings nation wide. it was an exciting team to watch. so i am always happy but never surprised that even people never living in ontario have grown up oilers fans. the amazing part is them staying fans through the crap when closer geographical places would be less painful to cheer for (detroit for example).
Anyways...its pretty awesome wheneve i meet someone else from edmonton who is in TO.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Surprised about Orr... some random guy from Saskatoon at hotel showed pic he took earlier in day of himself with Orr and McDavid.

Surprised me too. After Don Cherry telling me soo many times (via TV not person lol) how great the guy is...
Maybe the guy was having a bad day or something but frankly Coffey ive met numerous times and he has a quiet way about him that i relate to. Coffey will chat you up and stuff if you initiate but is pretty low key. Coffeys reactions to Orr kind of make me think that my first impression of Orr is the right one. Definitely not somebody i will say hi to in the future etc.

Orr said where he was staying. If you were at the same hotel i guess i know where you were now. lol. Nice digs fo sho

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
You live in TO or just trip?
The Oilers i find are a smaller version of the HAbs and Leafs. They have a following all over the country because of the 80s. even in the 90s CBC started playing the Oilers predominantly as the second game in the double header because they had the best ratings nation wide. it was an exciting team to watch. so i am always happy but never surprised that even people never living in ontario have grown up oilers fans. the amazing part is them staying fans through the crap when closer geographical places would be less painful to cheer for (detroit for example).
Anyways...its pretty awesome wheneve i meet someone else from edmonton who is in TO.

Edmonton and Detroit fan-Edmonton from the glory days,j Detroit because of geography. Edmonton is a piece or two away from great hockey again. Seen some glimpses this year but the effort last night wasn't there.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Edmonton and Detroit fan-Edmonton from the glory days,j Detroit because of geography. Edmonton is a piece or two away from great hockey again. Seen some glimpses this year but the effort last night wasn't there.

I know alot of Ed/Det fans from Edmonton. Easier to be one now that the move to the east happened. I know one of my buds always loved the wings but couldnt live with himself to make them officially his #2 until the new alignment recently. lol.

As for the current squad... I have to remind myself that this isnt a finished product team. We got off to a good start so as a fan you hope they can keep playing like they did against Wash and Van night after night. Really the team is half new guys and they are on their first real road trip. i expected pains for the first half. I want consistency in the second half. i have to remind myself of these things .

on paper we look very good i think, especially now that we see how Larsson will fit in and what Russell can/is bring.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
****, we should be geniuses by now after 10 years of losses and taking it on the chin. Where's the diploma?

Technically not, considering the whole team has pretty much been turned over haha. Eberle is the only one who should know by now, and it seems like he just doesn't

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
TSN LOVES the Kadri show:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mclennan-kadri-made-a-statement-in-that-oilers-game~985810

I see clips of interference, holding, late hits, cross checks, and full on bear hugs.

And everyone seems to love it.

The NHL should get rid of holding and interference as penalties. They should just be legals parts of the game.

if i had my way it would go back to 90s style of hockey BUT no hooks. if your stick goes up on a body and you are behind that player i think there should be no question that you get penalized. Body position should eliminate some of those border line calls where a player was obviously muscled off the puck legit but falls down and is called trip/hook etc.

The bad part of the 90s to me was the hooking AND THE SLASHING that was allowed. other than that i think it was good hockey.

watch games from the 90s and it was beautiful hockey except for the two handed slashes from players that were beat and the old "hook hook hook" maneuver of those slow coke machine dmen.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I used Zeta because its basically as low as i could go i greek lol

Normally in psych we would say alpha or beta mentality but there are more zones than just that so i was trying to point out that sissies are the lowest form.

If i was truthful in analyzing people i would suggest the second step under alpha would be guys who are sure of themselves when push comes to shove but they dont urinate on everything marking their territory.

then youd have guys that get pushed down more but still they eventually have a line they snap at.

then that line gets further and further as you go down to the sissy.

I like your use of Metaphors here!

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
if i had my way it would go back to 90s style of hockey BUT no hooks. if your stick goes up on a body and you are behind that player i think there should be no question that you get penalized. Body position should eliminate some of those border line calls where a player was obviously muscled off the puck legit but falls down and is called trip/hook etc.

The bad part of the 90s to me was the hooking AND THE SLASHING that was allowed. other than that i think it was good hockey.

watch games from the 90s and it was beautiful hockey except for the two handed slashes from players that were beat and the old "hook hook hook" maneuver of those slow coke machine dmen.

After the way he was playing, I find it hard to believe the only penalty Kadri got that whole game was on for embellishment. Is there a pro-Toronto bias among officials?

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I have no problem with the way Kadri played. I would have liked to see some of our gritty players doing that to they're skill players. The maple leafs a pretty much a small skilled team now. We should have been much more physical.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I have no problem with the way Kadri played. I would have liked to see some of our gritty players doing that to they're skill players. The maple leafs a pretty much a small skilled team now. We should have been much more physical.

Remember all the stories years ago about Couturier dominating Crosby, pestering the heck out of him, frustrating him. Just the way it works sometimes, especially on nights that the refs are letting everything go. McDavid just has to power through, and McLellan needs to put a little effort into matchups.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Remember all the stories years ago about Couturier dominating Crosby, pestering the heck out of him, frustrating him. Just the way it works sometimes, especially on nights that the refs are letting everything go. McDavid just has to power through, and McLellan needs to put a little effort into matchups.

Yeah. Its all good. Mcdavid needed to win that battle, and he would most nights. McLellan gambled that McDavid was gonna lite it up, and lost. Big test against the Rangers tomorrow.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ya I noticed McD laugh off Kadri a feew times. Wonder if either TM or McD himself suggested he could handle himself on some minor bumps?

Still would have liked someone to hit Kadri mid game tho

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
After the way he was playing, I find it hard to believe the only penalty Kadri got that whole game was on for embellishment. Is there a pro-Toronto bias among officials?

Toronto and Edmonton are both tied with 29 PP opportunities on the year (7th least).

Winnipeg leads the way with 44 PP opportunities in the same amount of games (10).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad