Post-Game Talk: Leafs 3 Bruins 2 // Matty gets his 70th and the game winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
His analysis is a bit broken saying that Knies shouldn't be keen on the strong side D with a high puck carrier while Marner is correctly placed our of a danger zone on a non passing option.

He's correct that we play man on man, what happens is Benny and Knies get jumbled up and Pasta goes to the high slot. Marner should read and switch from his loose point coverage once that occurs, instead he plays tighter on point and it pulls him out of position.

A few things could prevent the goal
1. Knies taking a better route
2. Benoit staying on Pasta instead of anticipating a switch
3. Marner in soft point coverage instead of tightening on the non threat

He called out everyone but Marner.

I agree with his analysis, especially after watching it a couple of times.

If you're playing man-to-man, you are supposed to be trusting your teammates to cover their man, not cheating to cover for people, it won't work like that.

Knies ran a pick, that is how Pasta got lost.

Marner did read it and broke loose but was not fast enough, it was good recognition by him and happened quickly, McCabe was also slow to close out on Zacha, it looked like he didn't know who to take.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
His analysis is a bit broken saying that Knies shouldn't be keen on the strong side D with a high puck carrier while Marner is correctly placed our of a danger zone on a non passing option.

He's correct that we play man on man, what happens is Benny and Knies get jumbled up and Pasta goes to the high slot. Marner should read and switch from his loose point coverage once that occurs, instead he plays tighter on point and it pulls him out of position.

A few things could prevent the goal
1. Knies taking a better route
2. Benoit staying on Pasta instead of anticipating a switch
3. Marner in soft point coverage instead of tightening on the non threat
I really don't blame Marner on that goal either, the other two just blocking him and he was just a tad late, but it was so fluid and disjointed, it's a bit too easy to just say he missed his man. Was just a weird play to me and he almost got there. Seems a pile on play for some.

Reactions: ACC1224

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Benoit has struggled a whole lot worse. His play on the 2nd goal was baffling as well.

I'd put Brodie for him for game 3.
Both dudes are learning. Doing good things and some less than perfect things.
It’s legit coaching and development time.
Home ice for a couple where there’s last change. Build some momentum for them.

Reactions: banks and SprDaVE

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
In all seriousness, a pretty solid team game last night. Poor penalty by McCabe, and I'm not really sure what happened on the end of 1st period goal, but that was a tough one. Bruins drew up a play and executed it perfectly.

Very impressed with the effort from Matthews, Bert, Domi, Tavares, Kampf, Reavo, Sammy, and the D. Knies taking lots of hits to make plays, but it doesn't seem to bother him one bit.

Expecting more from Marner, he is probably playing hurt. Rielly hasnt elevated his game either, we need those two to get going.

On the Matthews goal, it all started back from the D. You could see the leafs start moving the puck much more quickly and that was Rielly and Boosh getting the puck to Domi. If we can distribute the puck quickly, and play at that higher pace, it will be big trouble for the B's.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He called out everyone but Marner.

I agree with his analysis, especially after watching it a couple of times.

If you're playing man-to-man, you are supposed to be trusting your teammates to cover their man, not cheating to cover for people, it won't work like that.

Knies ran a pick, that is how Pasta got lost.

Marner did read it and broke loose but was not fast enough, it was good recognition by him and happened quickly, McCabe was also slow to close out on Zacha, it looked like he didn't know who to take.
You also switch when needed in man on man and adjust based on the situation. One of the reasons the two get caught together at the line is they're unsure of whether they're switching.

McCabe and Tavares are fine on the goal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You also switch when needed in man on man and adjust based on the situation. One of the reasons the two get caught together at the line is they're unsure of whether they're switching.

The crazy backhand pass had a factor in it as well.

Reactions: egd27

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 7.49.39 AM.png

I'm going to trust the professional analyst who was employed by the Leafs over you, it also matches with the clip, your opinion doesn't match the clip from what I see.

I agree with him that McCabe was late because he didn't recognize his coverage, Knies and Benoit got crossed, and Marner was going to challenge the D and had to adjust because of Benoit and Knies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm going to trust the professional analyst who was employed by the Leafs over you, it also matches with the clip, your opinion doesn't match the clip from what I see.

I agree with him that McCabe was late because he didn't recognize his coverage, Knies and Benoit got crossed, and Marner was going to challenge the D and had to adjust because of Benoit and Knies.
You can trust who you want. There's also professional players and paid analysts highlighting the late read by Marner though, so the appeal to authority isn't supported in full.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
And just to add, if you look at both games using that metric, in totality Liligren is the worst Leaf.
I don’t know what data is used for those charts, but I’m curious to learn more about them.
Chart for game one: bad O, bad D. Stayed in the middle on the 2on1, for sure. Took a couple rough hits. A couple yips but nothing egregious or horrible. Sone nice defensive stops, battled on the walls and in front.
Chart for game two: okay D, no offense. Similar play from my pov, not much outstanding, but not much real bad either- as in anything notably worse than what the other D have been doing.
Not perfect, and I’d like sone more snarl too….but he’s looked good to me overall. For two games in Boston, anyway.

Reactions: Pinkcat

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Observations:

Tavares looked old and slow to me. Yes, goal (blown coverage by Bruins), but most of the night was invisible or bad.

Not sure why Domi is not on the first line PP. Him and Matthews have some pretty good chemistry.

Nice to see Reaves add a physical presence. On one goal had two people covering the same point. Ugggh

Domi is a good player when he focuses on the game vs doing stupid crap.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Observations:

Tavares looked old and slow to me. Yes, goal (blown coverage by Bruins), but most of the night was invisible or bad.

Not sure why Domi is not on the first line PP. Him and Matthews have some pretty good chemistry.

Nice to see Reaves add a physical presence. On one goal had two people covering the same point. Ugggh

Domi is a good player when he focuses on the game vs doing stupid crap.
Was surprised to see he had no hits last night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Take the win.
Praise Matthews line and Samsonov.

I've haven't watched every minute of the two games but my one son, who has, said when they get Nylander and marner back Bruins are going to be in tough.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t know what data is used for those charts, but I’m curious to learn more about them.
Chart for game one: bad O, bad D. Stayed in the middle on the 2on1, for sure. Took a couple rough hits. A couple yips but nothing egregious or horrible. Sone nice defensive stops, battled on the walls and in front.
Chart for game two: okay D, no offense. Similar play from my pov, not much outstanding, but not much real bad either- as in anything notably worse than what the other D have been doing.
Not perfect, and I’d like sone more snarl too….but he’s looked good to me overall. For two games in Boston, anyway.
Bourne said it well last night, he just moves the puck to someone else's problem, zero IQ plays all night. To me easily our worst D man, if he can't move the puck, what he bring? I'd keep him in but I want more.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
wonderful to win last night.
Imagine how we might do if Nylander is back and healthy and Marner decides to play.

Reactions: Al14

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Considering Marner's been invisible, two of their D have been pretty bad and Willie hasn't even played yet, going home 1-1 has got to be pretty promising.

Now can they do a very un-Leafs thing by carrying the momentum into games 3 & 4 and go back to Boston up 3-1?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Both dudes are learning. Doing good things and some less than perfect things.
It’s legit coaching and development time.
Home ice for a couple where there’s last change. Build some momentum for them.

Yeah, you don't get playoffs experience by watching from the stands.

It's an investment, the league doesn't fold after the playoffs.

Next year will come and they'll be better for the experience.

With their forward talent this shouldn't be a one and done team, so they have to invest in their future, and that isn't 34 year old, last leg defenders.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad