Leafs: 2nd in height, 10th in weight, 4th youngest team in NHL

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I knew we were young, so the 4th in age doesn't surprise me.

Had no idea that we were 2nd in height, like I am legitimately shocked by this. Especially since we are also a fast team. 2nd in height + 10th in weight + being a fast team is very tough to contain.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Had no idea that we were 2nd in height, like I am legitimately shocked by this. Especially since we are also a fast team. 2nd in height + 10th in weight + being a fast team is very tough to contain.

2-0-0 :handclap:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

dancingkenyans_zps69d9f77a.gif

Keep it going boys!

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Once upon a time....

Gill 6'7"
Antropov 6'6"
Belak 6'5"
Sundin 6'5"
Bell 6'4"
Kilger 6'4"
Ponikarovsky 6'4"
Kubina 6'4"

For as long as I can remember the Leafs almost always had a tall team.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

I wouldn't say we are a fast team, but we are definitely not a "slow" team as some posters have suggested after losing Grabo, Macarthur and bring in Clarkson, Bolland etc.

The misconception comes down the middle, but on the wings, JvR, Kessel, Lupul, Raymond, Kulemin are all speedy.

Kyle Doobas*

Once upon a time....

Gill 6'7"
Antropov 6'6"
Belak 6'5"
Sundin 6'5"
Bell 6'4"
Kilger 6'4"
Ponikarovsky 6'4"
Kubina 6'4"

The difference being that this is also one of the fastest teams in the league, with every player on the team being either in their prime or a few years away from reaching it.

I'm a bit surprised Tampa is #1 in height, though I guess Bishop and Lindback bring up the average quite a bit. :P

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Yeah but to Habs fans we're just a lucky team :laugh: Man they are so delusional.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Once upon a time....

Gill 6'7"
Antropov 6'6"
Belak 6'5"
Sundin 6'5"
Bell 6'4"
Kilger 6'4"
Ponikarovsky 6'4"
Kubina 6'4"

Huge difference....the team now is actually good.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
The difference being that this is also one of the fastest teams in the league, with every player on the team being either in their prime or a few years away from reaching it.

Oh I know, I'm just taking a trip down memory lane.

But in all fairness Belak, Kilger, Ponikarovsky and Sundin (less so in his last seasons) were all incredible skaters. That's one of the main reasons three of them were drafted so high: height + power + speed.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Once upon a time....

Gill 6'7"
Antropov 6'6"
Belak 6'5"
Sundin 6'5"
Bell 6'4"
Kilger 6'4"
Ponikarovsky 6'4"
Kubina 6'4"

Oh, how I miss Sundin. It would amazing to see him as our #1 Center today and playing with Phil/teaching JVR. Don't know if we'll ever have a player like him again.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Oh, how I miss Sundin. It would amazing to see him as our #1 Center today and playing with Phil/teaching JVR. Don't know if we'll ever have a player like him again.

I've always had a hard time envisioning Kessel and Sundin playing together; I just don't think they'd have the chemistry. Sundin was best cycling down low. That's not Phil's game.

JVR though? Prime Sundin and JVR together would be unfair to the rest of the league. Too good around and behind the net.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Oh I know, I'm just taking a trip down memory lane.

But in all fairness Belak, Kilger, Ponikarovsky and Sundin (less so in his last seasons) were all incredible skaters. That's one of the main reasons three of them were drafted so high: height + power + speed.

Don't forget that lanky speedster Jason Allison.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Anyone else notice that St. Louis is the 3rd shortest team but the 2nd heaviest? Florida is also a "taller" team that has a lower avg. weight, but they've got a lot of young guys who need time to fill out (they're ranked as 3rd oldest, but Timmy T has a lot to do with that lol).

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I'm a bit surprised Tampa is #1 in height, though I guess Bishop and Lindback bring up the average quite a bit. :P

They have St. Louis listed at 5'8" though. It has been reported he is 5'6". He used to be listed at 5'9" and then in an interview said he was 5'7.5" so they changed his listing to 5'8".

I agree with you about the goalies, if you take them out, Toronto and Winnipeg would be #1.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
This "4th youngest team in the league' is a misconception, if you look at our players were mostly in our prime

JVR (23,young))-Bozak(27)-Kessel(26)
Lupul(31)-Kadri(23)-Raymond(27)
Kulemin(27)-Bolland(27)-Clarkson(29)
Mclaren(26)-Mcclement(30)-Orr(32)

Phaneuf(28)-Gunnar(27)
Gardiner(23)-Franson(26)
Fraser(27)-Ranger(29)

If you consider the prime years to be 27-32, then everyone except Kadri/JVR/Gardiner are in their primes, so realisticly speaking looking at our roster we have about a 5-7 year peak window before fading again (unless we add younger pieces along the way).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad