Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 4th-round (#115) -- C Mikhail Abramov - VICTORIAVILLE QMJHL - 5' 11"/161 LBS

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You know most players don't play 10 years with the same franchise anymore. So trades FAs and alot of other avenues to explore.

Our developmental system just doesn't prioritize certain player types, which our big league roster is also lacking.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Our developmental system just doesn't prioritize certain player types, which our big league roster is also lacking.

The big guys take longer to develop, it might make sense to focus on high-end producers if the goal is to turn them into other assets 3 years from now instead of 5.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The big guys take longer to develop, it might make sense to focus on high-end producers if the goal is to turn them into other assets 3 years from now instead of 5.

That certainly makes sense at the top of the roster, but the bulk of our small skill forwards are also not quick developers or high end producers.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Funny thing, all the big guys we took haven't done anything, while guys like Bracco are looking like NHL options.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty good article on Abramov. He's already grown 2 full inches since he joined the Tigres and stands at 6'.

Leafs prospect Mikhail Abramov is unique in more ways than...

His line, the team’s quote-unquote second line, featured Abramov (the Leafs’ fifth-round pick in 2019 and a natural centre) at left wing alongside 2018 third-round pick Riley Stotts and one of the game’s other standouts, Colt Conrad.

“I knew nothing of him coming in other than what the scouts and the staff tell. We put him in the middle on that power-play unit because from all reports he’s got good vision and good skills and we thought he’d fit that group well — and he did. Even at five-on-five, I thought he looked very comfortable with the puck and looking to make a play,” Keefe said.

And that’s what Abramov does. He makes plays.

“He reminds me a lot of a Nicholas Backstrom at the junior level. He’s always going to be a guy with more assists than goals,” Robitaille said.

“He needs to trust his shot a little bit more because he does have a really good shot and I think he felt comfortable using it more towards the end of the year. But at the end of the day, his best skill is his playmaking ability.”

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Loved this pick at the time... dude grew 2 inches since we drafted him LOL

"His 0.87 points-per-game rate in the regular season finished 10th among all under-18 QMJHL players — and third among rookies."

Not bad for 115th overall... Leafs drafting has been exceptional.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Loved this pick at the time... dude grew 2 inches since we drafted him LOL

"His 0.87 points-per-game rate in the regular season finished 10th among all under-18 QMJHL players — and third among rookies."

Not bad for 115th overall... Leafs drafting has been exceptional.
2 inches in 2 months is a little... Incredible
And if true, he's probably gotta get used to his body a little bit
Don't jump the gun just yet

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If he actually did grow 2 inches in 2 months, chances are he could still be growing even more. Come on 6'3 Abramov :sarcasm:

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

If he actually did grow 2 inches in 2 months, chances are he could still be growing even more. Come on 6'3 Abramov :sarcasm:

I could be wrong but I believe it's 2 inches since he was drafted into the CHL (via import draft). So it's 2 inches since June/July of 2018.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
just like the Robertson thread, the size queens have all disappeared.
If players' statistical peaks happen earlier on in their careers, why are teams so willing to forego some of those precious years just so a kid can grow into his body? Never got that.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

Can you provide examples of big non-defensemen players who took long to develop? Remember, we did draft broll, devane not too long ago and it didnt exactly work out.

EDIT: Actually, there's Engvall...but that's all thommie bergman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This is great to hear because we are looking paper thin at C behind Matthews and Tavares.

Spezza is not a long term option, Brooks doesn’t inspire, and I wouldn’t entrust Gauthier beyond a 4th line.

We have so much depth on the wings it’s important to have an above average 3C, and I’m not convinced Kerfoot is in the long term plans. Even if he is, it gives this kid another 2-3 years to develop, which sounds like what he’s doing....

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As many of stated a 4th rounder tearing it up on a dreadful team is wonderful, same with him growing a few more inches and still being able to pull it all together. We don’t have that many C in our system and JT and Matthews grow older by the minute. We need to have replacements. If he can become our next 3 C that would be fantastic, unfortunately I think he is what 2 years away at minimum?

The only issue I have is his 15.9% shooting percentage. Last year it was under 10%. Most players are likely somewhere between there unless your an elite player like Matthews. Again it’s still impressive on a terrible team to have more individual points than the second and third best players on the team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As many of stated a 4th rounder tearing it up on a dreadful team is wonderful, same with him growing a few more inches and still being able to pull it all together. We don’t have that many C in our system and JT and Matthews grow older by the minute. We need to have replacements. If he can become our next 3 C that would be fantastic, unfortunately I think he is what 2 years away at minimum?

The only issue I have is his 15.9% shooting percentage. Last year it was under 10%. Most players are likely somewhere between there unless your an elite player like Matthews. Again it’s still impressive on a terrible team to have more individual points than the second and third best players on the team.

Shooting percentages are a lot higher in the CHL. 15.9% is probably average among the top producers in the QMJHL.

Alex Khovanov has a 21.05% for example. Sokolov has a 18.47%. On the flip side, Lafreniere has a 13.56%.

Reactions: stickty111

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
This is great to hear because we are looking paper thin at C behind Matthews and Tavares.

Spezza is not a long term option, Brooks doesn’t inspire, and I wouldn’t entrust Gauthier beyond a 4th line.

We have so much depth on the wings it’s important to have an above average 3C, and I’m not convinced Kerfoot is in the long term plans. Even if he is, it gives this kid another 2-3 years to develop, which sounds like what he’s doing....

Engvall also plays C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad