Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Veleno and Wilde both on the board and you take a small LHD. A position we don’t need. Awful pick.
How is it still possible that people think they're drafting for positional need late in the first round? Do you not realise that no matter who you take here, they're at minimum, 3 years away. Do you have a crystal ball that sees we'll need a RHD or a center 3-5 years from now?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dermott plays with an edge and is well rounded. Sandin is a one trick pony and that trick is moving the puck. He is small, soft and not a true threat on the PP.

Sandin is going to get pushed around at the NHL level.. in a big way.

B.S. Best player available for 10 picks easy. Go shake yer pillow!

member 300185

Wow. I am sick about this. Sandin is a good pick but Veleno was there and Dumbass could have drafted him at each pick. Veleno was exceptional status and was ranked 14 by central scouting. Early on in the season, he was rated to go 8. And, we are weak at centre depth as well. Veleno will be the next Tavares.

Great job kyle dumbass.

sign Tavares and I will get over it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The two are not much alike, other than being Swedish defencemen. The comparable on our team is Dermott.

Yeah, he's another Dermott. High IQ skating defenseman with skill. Those don't necessarily go out of style...

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Another undersized, puck moving dman, who plays with zero edge. Yay. Dubas just couldn't help himself.

I can't see him being durable enough to withstand the NHL grind.
Nice, so he is good sized d-man what plays with an edge. Thank you!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dermott plays with an edge and is well rounded. Sandin is a one trick pony and that trick is moving the puck. He is small, soft and not a true threat on the PP.

Sandin is going to get pushed around at the NHL level.. in a big way.
Didn't people say that about Ellis?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Addresses an organizational need. Can't complain - looks like a solid 2nd pairing potential defenseman. Excited for tomorrow.

I like the flexibility of potentially having him in the AHL.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I’m okay with it, nothing popping out good or bad. I just wonder when we stop picking these tiny defenders that are part of the problem that we are currently facing.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Dubas knows exactly what the Leafs are getting in Sandin. Reminds me of Hunter picking Marner from his London team.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bode Wilde would also have been nice as a RHD and more of a physical specimen. K'Andre Miller would have been a great project too, but clearly the Rangers really wanted to get the jump on him.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Percy was nowhere near this dominant offensively. It's not even close to being similar.

And Percy did OK before he got into concussion problems.

Dermott is very similar to Sandin as well, but even Dermott wasn't as good offensively.

Their games looked a lot alike in person. Having watched both, a number of times, it is what it is. I don't hate the pick, but I see one of those "safe" 4-5 Dmen.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Very close. Saw both in person, multiple times.. many of their strengths are the same. Both lacking physicality to win board battles. Good hockey minds. Good skaters, not great. Both with perceived decent, but not spectacular upside.

Sounds like Travis Dermott.
Great pick by Dubas.
Probably a wise decision to avoid your favorite monster slow tree trunk d man.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Wow. I am sick about this. Sandin is a good pick but Veleno was there and Dumbass could have drafted him at each pick. Veleno was exceptional status and was ranked 14 by central scouting. Early on in the season, he was rated to go 8. And, we are weak at centre depth as well. Veleno will be the next Tavares.

Great job kyle dumbass.

So... you clearly don't watch any of the prospects. Veleno is not a good player, he deserved to fall and I had him 30th. If you judge players by "exceptional status" and bob mckenzies draft list, you have issues.

Sandin is a great pick

Reactions: Lauro and cipher

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I believe he has always been under contract with them and was just loaned to SSM. Means the Leafs have the option of CHL, SHL or AHL.

Ah okay, nice flexibility to have.

Dubas' interview made it seem they plan on having him go back to the OHL though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Veleno and Wilde both on the board and you take a small LHD. A position we don’t need. Awful pick.

Wilde would not have been a good pick. His upside is not significantly better, and he has major defensive problems. If I am complaining about not taking a guy left on the board, he's definitely not it.

Reactions: pacman25

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Great job kyle dumbass.

I laughed.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Great job kyle dumbass.

Wow

And we're actually weaker at D then C, to be honest.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Great job kyle dumbass.

Veleno is the next what now? I mean dear god just stop it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad