Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Decent player, but smallish LHD. I know you don't pick for need, but that is a strength position of ours, while we need C and RHD. and a couple of decent ones were available in Veleno and Wilde.... oh well.

Outside of Rielly, Dermott, and Liljegren we dont have a whole heck of a lot in terms of young talent. I presume Gardiner will be gone a year from now.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Season ticket holder here for the hounds , Hes good with a low ceiling he's a safe pick IMO he will be a number 4 D man Great skater really good one of the best on the hounds this season , really good break out passer to get out of the zone , Doesn't block many shots at all . uses body position well to close gaps has a chip on his shoulder and loves to throw the body but lose alot of battles on boarder and isn't that great in front of the net when he fills out and gets stronger he's gonna be a good player but right now he needs at least 2-3 years to develop

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Its not my preferred choice, but its a decent pick with some solid upside.
You factor in getting an extra 3rd rounder and it makes it a good pick.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Decent pick. Very Dermott-y in that he's an all-round guy who needs to improve his skating a bit, right?

Dermott plays with an edge and is well rounded. Sandin is a one trick pony and that trick is moving the puck. He is small, soft and not a true threat on the PP.

Sandin is going to get pushed around at the NHL level.. in a big way.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Really wanted Sandin/Berggren. I'm going to cry about missing on the latter but Sandin was well expected

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Always good to add more defensemen to the system. The Leafs have good organization development in place to develop him properly over the long haul.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Except he's better in every measurable way. Especially IQ and defense.

Percy was a high IQ guy who played solid positional defense. Good, but not great skater, kept the play in front of him.

Hugely similar.

Mar 12, 2009
I have seen him several times this year in local tv. Few times in regular season and all 7 games against Kitchener in the OHL playoff semi finals. I watched his D game because I know his puck moving/offense is good. He's solid defensively and a good skater. I'm a fan of this pick, would have been happy with it at 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: