Prospect Info: Leafs 1st. Pick - 4th. overall - Mitch Marner, RW/C, London (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Detroit model is to overripen their prospects and with Bobcock now I think some of that belief will wear off as he picks his team each year. Babcock talks about creating a "safe environment" for players and Leafs are still in the tear-down phase.

When your 160lbs soaking wet then you have to add mass and strength alone over time as a he matures which will take time.

I also used Giroux the player that fans most often compare Marner to as a reference for potentially a similar path to the NHL. I don't think the plan is to rush prospects to the NHL and patience and development the main focus.

Some players were the exception, Helm got in earlier then most with Detroit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What's so "wow" about that? I've seen Pee-Wee players do the same thing.

Marner is great but this isn't something that wow's me at all.

:laugh:
When I saw the video I flashed back to watching him skate and stick handle like that with the Vaughan Kings about 10 years ago.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
What's so "wow" about that? I've seen Pee-Wee players do the same thing.

Marner is great but this isn't something that wow's me at all.

At high speed, that is very difficult to do and it looked as it said, that the puck was tied to his stick.

He is very fast and in control, some players in shoot outs, don't have that much control.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
At high speed, that is very difficult to do and it looked as it said, that the puck was tied to his stick.

He is very fast and in control, some players in shoot outs, don't have that much control.

No doubt he does it like a top prospect should. Fast stickhandling with his head up the whole time while doing fast crossovers at full speed.

But nothing wow to me. That's all. I'd expect most pro's (and CHL players) to be able to do this to be perfectly honest.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No doubt he does it like a top prospect should. Fast stickhandling with his head up the whole time while doing fast crossovers at full speed.

But nothing wow to me. That's all. I'd expect most pro's (and CHL players) to be able to do this to be perfectly honest.
Love how people are already judging the kid after one clip from his first ever prospect camp, barely a week after being drafted 4th overall. Sweet!

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
That's impressive and only people that play the game on a high level can really appreciate this.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Doubt it... I find it hard to believe that the majority of CHL players can do that as quickly as Marner (both skating and stickhandling speed at the same time).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

One of those things we kind of expect, but it is harder then you'd think, and for him to do it as fast as he does is pretty impressive. Hands are already NHL calibre.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I like the way he controls the puck at those speeds and if he can add some size and muscle to his frame he will be a very good center for the Leafs, we know he can score and I want to see him at the AHL level, if he can stand out there, it shouldn't be too long before he makes the Leafs.

A lot of the drafted players from this past draft have one thing in common other than being on the small size and that is their speed and it appears that is the way this team is headed smaller but quicker and having a center with that much speed and control is going to be outstanding and give the other team fits.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It would stand out more if he were racing side by side with another prospect.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

If he would beat McDavid at this kind of drill, now I would be "wow'ed" :laugh:

I'm not saying he didn't look great in the drill, I just don't see how you can be amazed by that kind of drill by a player, that's all.

Doubt it... I find it hard to believe that the majority of CHL players can do that as quickly as Marner (both skating and stickhandling speed at the same time).

I've been to the 67s and Olympiques camp before and most players do this very well, but probably not at the speed of Marner --- which is why he's a top prospect. I didn't say it was easy or that everyone makes it look easy like Marner either. Just nothing to be wow'ed about.

That's it, that's all. Let's move on from this. :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he would beat McDavid at this kind of drill, now I would be "wow'ed" :laugh:

I'm not saying he didn't look great in the drill, I just don't see how you can be amazed by that kind of drill by a player, that's all.

I've been to the 67s and Olympiques camp before and most players do this very well, but probably not at the speed of Marner --- which is why he's a top prospect. I didn't say it was easy or that everyone makes it look easy like Marner either. Just nothing to be wow'ed about.

That's it, that's all. Let's move on from this. :laugh:

It's alright, we have rookie tournament and such to look forward to, i'm sure we'll get a wow moment or 2 out of him. Nevermind Nylander, Kapanen etc being there.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Exactly. You can see this type of drill throughout the GTA on any given night & lots of kids will really impress with their speed & skill, but you can't appreciate Marner's speed just from a single person skating on this video.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I like the way he controls the puck at those speeds and if he can add some size and muscle to his frame he will be a very good center for the Leafs, we know he can score and I want to see him at the AHL level, if he can stand out there, it shouldn't be too long before he makes the Leafs.

A lot of the drafted players from this past draft have one thing in common other than being on the small size and that is their speed and it appears that is the way this team is headed smaller but quicker and having a center with that much speed and control is going to be outstanding and give the other team fits.

I doubt he'll ever be at the AHL level.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
The only guys I seriously see making the Leafs next year are.
Stuart Percy
Zach Hyman
Casey Bailey

I think management keep the others down for another season with maybe a few call ups.

You only see those 3 players making the team in 16/17? Wow, your standards are low

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad