Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Lmfao @HolyCrap
Polish_20240327_172805199.jpg

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Fans always seem to either vastly underrate or vastly overrate opponents. I think the truth when it comes to Boston/Florida/Toronto is that it's probably a coin flip between all three of them.
True, the leafs have shown over and over that they will rise to the occasion....oh wait. Until the leafs can win one of these coin flips?, I dont understand how anyone could underrate either of those two teams, or Tampa.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
True, the leafs have shown over and over that they will rise to the occasion....oh wait. Until the leafs can win one of these coin flips?, I dont understand how anyone could underrate either of those two teams, or Tampa.
I'm not underrating them. If I had to rank them I would put Boston at the bottom of those three, but there isn't much difference between the three of them.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If we can beat one of them in the first round, we can beat the other.

Or get our asses handed to us in the second round again, I dunno. I honestly thought we’d go on a run after winning a round last year but that clearly didn’t mean anything

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
View attachment 842543

I'd actually love a series with the Rangers but Noodles makes a great point here.

The Overdrive guys, and all the people I know aren't saying for a better matchup, they just wanted to see a different team. Had enough of Boston/TB/Fla. That's why 1v8 was so great, variety.

Haven't faced the Rangers since the 70's and the Canes since 2002.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
The Overdrive guys weren't saying for a better matchup, they just wanted to see a different team. Had enough of Boston/TB/Fla. That's why 1v8 was so great, variety.

I don't think it matters to our cup hopes either way and I would find a meeting with the Rangers quite intriguing. So sure, lets do that. :)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Overdrive guys, and all the people I know aren't saying for a better matchup, they just wanted to see a different team. Had enough of Boston/TB/Fla. That's why 1v8 was so great, variety.

Haven't the Leafs only ever played Florida once in the playoffs? I don't disagree on Boston and Tampa, but another series with Florida will create some very nice bad blood between the teams.

Reactions: Gary Nylund and bax

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
View attachment 842543

I'd actually love a series with the Rangers but Noodles makes a great point here.
f*** that noise, there's definitely an easier matchup and it's 100% going thru the metro. The Rags and Canes are both almost right there with the Leafs in terms of being playoff losers.

They'd still beat Toronto, but you'd be insane to not want them over FLA/BOS

Reactions: BayStBullies

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Toronto can beat anyone with a healthy lineup, but will they is a different story. If they want it bad enough a series should go 6 or 7 with Boston or Florida.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario

Last time we saw them in the conference finals :(

Remaining games on March 29, 2024 New

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Panthers 3-6-1 in last 10, might want to avoid Tampa.

Remaining games

Bruins 8 @ Caps, @ Nash, @ Canes, Flo, Canes, @ Pens, @ Caps, Sens (B2B)
Panthers 9 Wings, @ Leafs, @ Habs (B2B), @ Sens, @ Bruins (4 in 6), Sens, CBJ, Sabres, Leafs
Leafs 10 @ Sabres, Flo, Tampa, @ Habs, Pens, @ NJ (B2B), NJ, Wings, @ Flo, @ Tampa (B2B)
Tampa 10 NYI, Wings, @ Leafs, @ Habs (B2B), Pens, CBJ, Sens, @ Caps, Sabres, Leafs

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unsure how to run the lines when healthy, I've liked the Matthews line.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-JT-Marner
McMann-Holmberg-88
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Alt - Bertuzzi-Matthews-88
Holmberg-Domi-McMann

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Panthers 3-6-1 in last 10, might want to avoid Tampa.

Remaining games

Bruins 8 @ Caps, @ Nash, @ Canes, Flo, Canes, @ Pens, @ Caps, Sens (B2B)
Panthers 9 Wings, @ Leafs, @ Habs (B2B), @ Sens, @ Bruins (4 in 6), Sens, CBJ, Sabres, Leafs
Leafs 10 @ Sabres, Flo, Tampa, @ Habs, Pens, @ NJ (B2B), NJ, Wings, @ Flo, @ Tampa (B2B)
Tampa 10 NYI, Wings, @ Leafs, @ Habs (B2B), Pens, CBJ, Sens, @ Caps, Sabres, Leafs
Still enough time for teams to move around in the standings.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'm good with either. I think we're a rougher team this year. Neither one of the two will be an easy series. Would love to get the Bruins and slay that dragon that seems to haunt us....and Florida is a chance at redemption for last season. Makes for good hockey either way she goes.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Liking the Leafs vs Flo Rida

Better than Boston

2 victories vs FLA would almost guarantee FLA in the first round

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Witch every team we play we need to clean up our game .
JT Brodie Marner and Mathew's no more backhanded passes in the dzone. 40% of the time they work 60% of the time we give up the puck and get hemmed in.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's funny that if the Leafs pass both Florida and Boston before the end of the season their first round opponent will be...Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad