Leaf Gear Removed in Ottawa

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I'm Montreal born, and grew up in Montreal *and* Toronto and I am a Sens fan. I really don't care who people cheer for in the grand scheme of things, but I'm always amused by these people who are die hards for the Leafs or Habs, and look down upon Sens fans, but have not even the faintest connection to either city. It's sports reduced to a reality TV show.

Many say sports is the original reality tv. Complete with lots of unique and off the wall characters! YEAH!!!!!

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Has there ever been a game where any team's fans other than the Leafs or Habs have invaded an opponent's rink?

Ranger fans do a good job of taking over the Prudential Center...

If there is ever a fan base that would sympathize with us, its the Devils and Islanders fan base. I imagine Ranger fans are just as obnoxious as Leaf fans when it comes to their "territory". Despite the Islanders and Devils both having more recent success.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes I do and have for 6 seasons now. There's no doubt in my mind that there have been Leafs and Habs games at SBP where the vast majority (70-80%) of the building is wearing opposing colours. YouTube some clips.

Im surprised that you believe that then. Its never been the case when I was there. Last year there was one game which was the worst I have ever seen, by FAR, and it was maybe 40% Leaf fans.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
The ratio of vocal fans is a lot closer than the ratio of Sens:Leafs fans.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Went past a Roots in St. Laurent today and they had no Sens gear whatsoever. I was so upset, I threw my Orange Julius and my Cinnabon through the open door and ran away.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Ohhh this topic again....

Even if the building is 60/40 Sens Leafs.... The 40% Leafs will be 10x as loud as the 60 percent Sens.. Coming into SBP is their Super Bowl... They get loaded, for the most part act like obnoxious morons, then retreat back to their homes, whether they be in Ottawa or down the 401 and wait to do it all again.... This happens 3 times a year...

Ive had a 1/2 Season package for 4-5 years now and Ive been to the majority of the Leaf games over that span... My observations....

If Im above 35-40 years old... Im not going
If I attend games with my child... Im not going

So now take our STH base and subtract any couple above say 40 years old, or any family... Whats left?

If you are banking on the 18-35 year old males to fill up the stands and fight the good fight... Its not happening. Ive bought tickets from Sens STH who would rather not be there listening to drunk idiots scream and swear and them or their kids... try and start fights or just be obnoxious.

I cant say that I agree with games of 4000 Sens fans to 16,000 + Leaf fans... Id say at WORST it could be 50/50

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Ohhh this topic again....

Even if the building is 60/40 Sens Leafs.... The 40% Leafs will be 10x as loud as the 60 percent Sens.. Coming into SBP is their Super Bowl... They get loaded, for the most part act like obnoxious morons, then retreat back to their homes, whether they be in Ottawa or down the 401 and wait to do it all again.... This happens 3 times a year...

Ive had a 1/2 Season package for 4-5 years now and Ive been to the majority of the Leaf games over that span... My observations....

If Im above 35-40 years old... Im not going
If I attend games with my child... Im not going

So now take our STH base and subtract any couple above say 40 years old, or any family... Whats left?

If you are banking on the 18-35 year old males to fill up the stands and fight the good fight... Its not happening. Ive bought tickets from Sens STH who would rather not be there listening to drunk idiots scream and swear and them or their kids... try and start fights or just be obnoxious.

I cant say that I agree with games of 4000 Sens fans to 16,000 + Leaf fans... Id say at WORST it could be 50/50

So if you are over the age of 35-40 or have kids you cant go cheer on your team and take in a rivalry game? I dont get this argument. Go, do your thing, wear your jersney, eat your hot dog, buy your foam finger and enjoy it. Only in Ottawa are parents and those 40+ hyper sensitive to (limited) foul language and (limited) beer drinking. Must be something in our water....or character.

And if the Sens arent banking on the 18-35 year old male, well who the **** are they banking on? That should be their #1 demographic!!!!!! We're talking SPORTS here!!!!!! Again, only in Ottawa should the one TRUE professional SPORTS team bank on the 0-17 and 40-75 demo. That middle ground there, those who are the true CONSUMERS and BELIEVERS, yeah, forget about them. Cant bank on them to fight the good fight. Jesus.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can we just sticky a thread for Ohhh Franco to lecture people on how to be proper Sens fans?

Maybe a guidebook or something?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So if you are over the age of 35-40 or have kids you cant go cheer on your team and take in a rivalry game? I dont get this argument. Go, do your thing, wear your jersney, eat your hot dog, buy your foam finger and enjoy it. Only in Ottawa are parents and those 40+ hyper sensitive to (limited) foul language and (limited) beer drinking. Must be something in our water....or character.

And if the Sens arent banking on the 18-35 year old male, well who the **** are they banking on? That should be their #1 demographic!!!!!! We're talking SPORTS here!!!!!! Again, only in Ottawa should the one TRUE professional SPORTS team bank on the 0-17 and 40-75 demo. That middle ground there, those who are the true CONSUMERS and BELIEVERS, yeah, forget about them. Cant bank on them to fight the good fight. Jesus.

As someone who has had to actually deal with the Leafs fans during Sens-Leafs games, I can tell you that it is anything but "limited".

There are more arrests during the 3 Leafs-Sens games than the other 38 home games combined.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Can we just sticky a thread for Ohhh Franco to lecture people on how to be proper Sens fans?

Maybe a guidebook or something?

Certainly seems like someone needs to teach some of you. And you know what, I think that's part of it. This town doesnt have the tradition that others do. Many in Ottawa dont know how to be fans, or what is acceptable. "Am I going too far? Oh no, that middle aged woman and her kid are looking at me weird. Quick, take the face paint off. Stop pretending to care."

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter?

There are quite a few contributors other than myself. Believe it or not, there are quite a few die hards in this town.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Certainly seems like someone needs to teach some of you.

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter?

There are quite a few contributors other than myself. Believe it or not, there are quite a few die hards in this town.

I draw the line at homicide of opposing team fans.

Seriously though, I've been to games at the ACC, and it's tame. I've been to BC Rogers arena, also tame.

The only place where it's been really rocking is the Bell Centre, and that's because everyone is in the bag and takes the metro home.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
The only place where it's been really rocking is the Bell Centre, and that's because everyone is in the bag and takes the metro home.

In all seriousness, do you think the location of SBP has somewhat held this organization and fan base back? I think it has big time. Tough to go out to the West End and have a rockin great time and get home easily.

If the rink had been built somewhere within the greenbelt and was much easier to get to I think people would enjoy their nights at Sens games alot more and maybe get more involved. More booze = throwing caution to the wind and letting loose...having fun.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In all seriousness, do you think the location of SBP has somewhat held this organization and fan base back? I think it has big time. Tough to go out to the West End and have a rockin great time and get home easily.

If the rink had been built somewhere within the greenbelt and was much easier to get to I think people would enjoy their nights at Sens games alot more and maybe get more involved. More booze = throwing caution to the wind and letting loose...having fun.

I totally agree with this premise.

I have one beer after the game, typically, usually at Local Heroes (or Silver Seven Brewhouse or whatever they call it these days) or Frank Finnigans, waiting for the parking lot to empty.

That's it.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The location absolutely puts a damper on it. Game 3 of the finals was awesome. We won, we wanted to head downtown and continue the party....fast forward an hour and a half when we finally get there and its fizzled.

Its just frustrating. Wanna drink? Deal with the ****** OC transpo service. Hope you like standing between two big sweaty dudes for 45 minutes on the way home.

Want to drive? Welp, only a beer or two for you! I cant wait for our next arena, and hope its downtown. Its a shame that Im wasting my 20s having to go out the boonies to watch a game. Hell, as a STH for years now, its often difficult to even motivate yourself to go to a game in February when there is a snowstorm and they are playing Carolina. I mean, I have a 110" projector, and can call some friends and drink and eat better food and save a ton of money. If it was in a central location that would never be an issue.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I totally agree with this premise.

I have one beer after the game, typically, usually at Local Heroes (or Silver Seven Brewhouse or whatever they call it these days) or Frank Finnigans, waiting for the parking lot to empty.

That's it.

Yeah, unfortunately I think that's the case for many fans. That's one thing the new CFL and soccer team have going for them. Brand new stadium which will be fairly easy to get to and is in the heart of the city. No doubt that more booze and fun = good time, memories and then traditions and fully invested fans.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a prominent display of Flames gear in an Edmonton store and no Oiler gear or vice versa in a Calgary store.

Also in the days of the Nordiques and the battle of Quebec, is it probable that Habs gear would crowd out Nordiques in a Quebec City store without comment?

Is it likely that any fans in either case who objected would then start worrying about appearing to be insecure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad