Post-Game Talk: Leaf fans dominate Staples Center, Leafs win 3-2. OPTIMUS REIM with a huge WIN!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I was at the game last night and noticed that our D-men back in too far when the opponent is on the rush. They need to stand them up/initiate contact near the blue line more. Too many dangerous opponent shots from the circles in on the rush.

Another thing I notice (not last night though) is that when an opposing forward takes it to the outside, our D-men frequently make the pivot too late and get beaten wide.

Funny you say that, because Ray Ferraro was in between the benches last night and he said on TSN radio today that all he heard during the game was the coaching staff yelling at the defense to put pressure on the Kings forwards in the neutral zone, but they just kept backing in like they were scared to get beat.

If the Leafs defense are scared to get beat by the Kings forwards, I'm a bit nervous about what's going through their heads when they play teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Funny you say that, because Ray Ferraro was in between the benches last night and he said on TSN radio today that all he heard during the game was the coaching staff yelling at the defense to put pressure on the Kings forwards in the neutral zone, but they just kept backing in like they were scared to get beat.

If the Leafs defense are scared to get beat by the Kings forwards, I'm a bit nervous about what's going through their heads when they play teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago.

It makes perfect sense, the entire team knows that defense is their weak point. When you are afraid of screwing up, what would you do? Back off and make the "safe" play.

Could you imagine if Ranger stepped up at the line and got beat creating a 2v1? He would be crucified.

Of course, it would help if they could expect a streaking forward coming back to cover up any mistakes they made up high.. unfortunately the only streaking players entering the zone shortly after is usually a wide open opponent in the slot.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Can we take this as some sort of proof that the Leafs defensive shell antics are NOT a product of the system? It's a product of them not listening. Best defensive teams are usually the ones that are confident and aggressive. Our D is not confident and therefore not aggressive. It never made sense to me why the coaching staff would want the team to collapse, especially since they've often said that that's exactly what they don't want the team to do. Hopefully finding a solid D piece so that every line has a reliable mainstay can provide the overall confidence of the blue line to be more aggressive. Like savaged mention, it would also help if they knew they could rely on their forwards for defensive support.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It is more than them not listening...

Can we take this as some sort of proof that the Leafs defensive shell antics are NOT a product of the system? It's a product of them not listening. Best defensive teams are usually the ones that are confident and aggressive. Our D is not confident and therefore not aggressive. It never made sense to me why the coaching staff would want the team to collapse, especially since they've often said that that's exactly what they don't want the team to do. Hopefully finding a solid D piece so that every line has a reliable mainstay can provide the overall confidence of the blue line to be more aggressive. Like savaged mention, it would also help if they knew they could rely on their forwards for defensive support.

Our forwards mostly play offense and we don't have the horses for the backend.If we had Shea Weber or if Reilly turns into Doughty pt deux plus when the forwards start backchecking with frequency we would suddenly have great defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad